shape
carat
color
clarity

signing disclaimer when diamonds are set?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,
I have two very small diamonds that are square baguettes (not princess - as, of course, the first thing the guy on the phone confirmed - lol) and they're in a ring that my mom gave me and the ring is too small and I am thinking of what to do with the diamonds. I did call two jewelers and one said he'd need to see the stones before deciding what we can do with them and the other said if I want to have his store set them, I have to sign a form saying they're not liable for any damage. Now, the stones are NOT insured as they're really small so I'm not even sure it'd make sense to have them appraised/insured or just hold off IF I have to sign a release.

Is it normal to sign a release? The first place I called didn't mention this.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it sounds smart to me. We tell people here all the time to try to get the setting from the diamond vendor for this reason. It is not smart for a jeweler to take responsibility for damage for a stone they didn't sell. So I am not surprised, but you may want to think about the fact that no one may reimburse you if the stones are damaged coming out of or going in a new setting.

Personally, I don't like signing anything like that.
But, when I worked with Daniel M I had to agree to that. I suppose if they are not worth appraising, it might not matter if they "break".. but still.

Have you thought of working with Daniel M? They were very reasonable. It took about 3-4 weeks though.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327443953|3110776 said:
Well, it sounds smart to me. We tell people here all the time to try to get the setting from the diamond vendor for this reason. It is not smart for a jeweler to take responsibility for damage for a stone they didn't sell. So I am not surprised, but you may want to think about the fact that no one may reimburse you if the stones are damaged coming out of or going in a new setting.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy a loose stone and have it set locally, but I did have a stone I owned set into my DBTY solitaire years ago and the jeweler didn't have me sign anything. Anyway, I went to the bank and took the ring out of my safe deposit. The diamonds look good, but the center stone (an emerald cut citrine ) has a knick in it so it wouldn't be a good idea to use that stone in making a new ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results