shape
carat
color
clarity

Sidestone Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Hiya.
1.gif
So, I'm getting to the point where the time is drawing near for me to pick my stone/ring, with the hubby getting the new job and all. Here's the question.

I've designed a setting that I'm going to have made. All the stones are bezel set (except for the Princess, which are more channel set). Marquise seems to be the shape I'm leaning towards (totally opposite of what I thought I'd want at this point!) Say the center stone is a "Colorless" Marquise, in the 1.00 - 1.25 range (around 10mm long and 5mm wide).

Here is the setting...

eternalrose01.jpg

(Hopefully this HTML tag is allowed... I didn't see it on the prohibited list.)

It's definitely NOT a design that I think will be universally loved, but I like it.
1.gif
Actually, the setting can be made to accommodate any shape in the center.

Here's the real question. I want the setting to either be 18K white gold or Platinum. With the Marquise being a Colorless color, this won't matter. The sidestones are what I'm pondering over. I want the four little marquise and the little princess cuts to be deep floral green emeralds with good clarity, and perhaps the little dip that they're set in to be plated with a green gold. Now for the hearts... What is your opinion. Ruby is my Birthstone, and would look nice, I think. But Ruby can be expensive. Especially deep red Rubies with eye-clean clarity so the facets are very visible. Or, should I use Pink Sapphires for a softer look? Sapphire is my daughter's Birthstone.

Would you pick Rubies or Sapphires? I'm kind of assuming the Sapphires would be cheaper... what do you all think?

NY SPARKLE

Rough_Rock
Pink sapphires are stuning. I have a diamond and pink sapphire ring and people compliment me on the combo all the time. Rubies, to me, are beautiful, but seem to overpower diamondsin settings.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion.
1.gif
I had been leaning towards Pink myself. I'm not familiar with the MOH's hardness of Sapphire. Is it easily chipped (anyone?)?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Definitely the sapphires. If you go for rubies with the green emeralds and the white metal & diamonds, you risk looking like Christmas all year.

Aren't sapphires (& rubies--both are forms of corundum) the second hardest gemstone? I'd worry more about the emeralds scratching than sapphires.

Have you considered nice tsavorites instead of emeralds? They're also a lovely green, often with better clarity & sharper sparkle.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
tsavorites.. No, I hadn't thought about those. Hmm. Good suggestion also. I suppose if I go with intense pink sapphires that a lighter shade of green would work well. Almost like Spring Time.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Another couple red suggestions.

First: LOVE the design! I am excited you will be getting your ring soon!

Second, have you thouht of Rhodolite Garnets? They are inexpensive and come in a gorgeous array or deep pink, reddish pink and purpilish pink colors. Wink can probably find you some nice ones.

Third, Red Spinel is a lovely alternative to ruby. Much more sparkly. I love spinels.
1.gif
I prefer them to rubies actually and rubies are my birth stone.

1.gif
Just some thoughts!

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Rubies are a form of corundum, as are pink sapphires. Actually if you want to think of it this way, Rubies are just red sapphires. They score the same on Moh's hardness scale...I think it is around a 9.0, diamonds score a 10. The scale is not linear though, so a sapphire is not 9/10 as strong as a diamond. A 9.0 is still pretty hard though and many people wear sapphires as ring stones. It also helps that they will be bezel set, as there is less chance of chipping with that setting.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, Jax.
1.gif
And thanks for the info, slmulkey! I'm still thinking I want to stay with Sapphires for the hearts. (Kind of sentimental on my part I guess)
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If you want deep red rubies, why not garnets?

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Ruby is my Birthstone, so that was the appeal to them originally. Ruby is also my Hubby's Birthstone, and my MIL's Birthstone as well.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cassandra!
wavey.gif

Your ring design is gorgeous!
10.gif
I have to agree with the Christmas tree comment. I lean toward the softer is nicer side of the aisle. Plus, I like pink and green combo. And, I'm an emerald fan as well.

Have you seen/given thougth to pink diamonds? Just a thought.

Be sure and post pics when you're all done. We all luv eye candy here!
love.gif

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Woo.
1.gif
I'd love to put pink diamonds in there, but unfortunately I'm definately not a rich person.
2.gif
Most of the irridated colored diamonds I've seen have had an intense color. I had a deep teal blue one at one point. I actually didn't like it the longer I had it. It didn't have enough flashes of color for me. If I could find some nice VS2 fancy light pink hearts that'd be really neat!
1.gif
I'll be sure to post pics when all is said and done.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL RING!!!!!!!!!

A pair of light pink VS heart shape diamoonds... Wow, your wallet is gonna be on fire!!!!!!!
1.gif
9.gif

Look at beautiful, high quality pink sapphires... They can be very nice!!!!!!!!!!

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Heh. I miiiight be able to afford some irridated ones, if I'm lucky.
2.gif
Pink Sapphires are definately what I'm leaning towards now. And I'm really looking into tsavorites as well.

One thing that I thought of with the whole Christmas theme... Those are traditional wedding colors too, now that I think about it. A white gown with a red rose (and the green stem/leaves of course). But most people just associate it more with Christmas than with a Wedding, unless they're thinking "Wedding".

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring design is nice. I think it looks like a 'young' style though. I could see myself going for this in my 20s but not now in my later 30s. I could be wrong and maybe I just have different taste now than I had then and maybe you will not.

Just wondered if you have considered what you would like when you are older. It is a bit to fancy, intricate for my liking but then I like the other extreme very plain and clean lines. That is another reason that I could be very wrong.

I would prefer red ruby hearts though. I have a ring with a red ruby heart with 3 tiny diamonds on either side which I love and have had for 14 years. Like I said I do still love it as it is mine but I do not think I would have chosen it today.

In my opinion I would go for the diamond marquise, red ruby hearts and then diamonds in the leave shapes also. I think this would take off the christmas look. I know you said about it being a bridal look too but I have other thoughts there only because my mother had red flowers with her white dress and has been happily married for 40 years but she always says that after she married she heard a superstition that red flowers for a bride with a white dress could mean blood and bandages. I know superstitions but this just sort of ruins it for me just because she kept saying this, not in a serious way but just a chatting sort of way. She is not superstitious.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts.
1.gif

My mother is the same way about liking the simpler jewelry. I've always liked elaborate. Not gaudy, but elaborate. And I am 23. When I designed it, I was looking to make something unique that would be passed down through the generations as a family heirloom piece. Actually, the sides of the ring will have filigree to allow light in and so I can clean my stones easier. I've always loved detailed filigree as well.
1.gif
Doing it all in plain diamonds would be an idea, but I wanted something different that would stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results