shape
carat
color
clarity

Sidestone Question for a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an 8mm asscher cut aquarmarine. I want to set it with either asscher or trap sidestones. What size should I get? Should the side stones take up the full edge on the side of the stone?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s really personal preference. Typically side stones are slightly smaller but if you''re considering using diamonds as the side stones this is going to cost you a fair amount because of the size they''d need to be.

To get an idea of what you like, do a Google Image search for asscher rings. There are some lovely pictures on there and it might help you to make a decision on what you want.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what i want I just don''t know where the sidestones are supposed to fall in line with the side of the asscher, therefore not sure what size to get.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s actually totally up to you as to where the line should fall. Some like it to be the entire side edge, others prefer the sidestone to be smaller.

LD made a good suggestion in taking a look online to decide which look you prefer.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Chrono suggested, as a starting point, measure the straight line at each side and that should really be the largest size that won''t overwhelm the look. On a 8mm central stone I would think the straight edge will be around 6mm so if you''re looking at Asscher side stones that will equate to a 1ct Asscher (perhaps even slightly bigger) on each side. Traps will be slightly smaller in carat weight I would think.

To cut costs you could consider a double tapered baguette side or go for 4mm Asscher sides etc.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
autumngems, I kinda struggled with this too. In the end I went a "full" look. My traps pretty much start and stop from prong to prong. I played around with different sizes of traps in Leon''s office. I always came back to a fuller look, but it really is your personal taste.

ring 138sideView12.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if this will answer your question totally, but it might help. It''s an interactive ring design site, and you can choose different size side stones. You have to answer a couple questions before it will start, but it''s not a big deal.

http://www.adiamondisforever.com/dyoer/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results