shape
carat
color
clarity

Side Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Raids

Rough_Rock
The ring I have decided upon will have a princess cut center stone (1-1.2 carats) with princess cut side stones all with 4 prong settings. My question is: What ratio of carat size to the center stone should I be looking for? Also, should I get side stones with the same color as the center stone or slightly inferior.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I usually have the side stones add up to the center stone weight for a three stone effect.For a solitaire with 2 shoulder stone effect then the 2 side stones should add up to less than 1/2 the weight of the center.If you wish to have a cost based compromise for color then make the center the lowest color.
You should have no more than a color grade difference between the center and sides, but it is acceptable to have 2 grades difference between the two outside stones. If you want the best effect for $'s then get sides of .60- .70 and center of under 1ct, but these sizes are less common and may be hard to find.
garry h

andrewkl

Rough_Rock
Raids,I just finished up with a similar ring. the center (was supposed to be 1.03ct) was actually .91, while a total of 6 side stones (3 on each side) totalled .68ct. they were set into the ring casting (invisible set?), so they did not overwhelm the center stone. Color should match, or be one grade lower, again, not to overwhelm the center stone, but to complement it instead.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Raids,I've heard that side stones are usially 1/3-1/5 tatal weight of the center stone. I.e. about 0.3 - 0.4 carat total weight. Color can be a bit lower but not very much to see an obvious difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results