shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stone size

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
So I'm going back and forth on the size of the side stones for my ring. The centre is 0.8ct and right now I have 0.25ct each for the side stones. I am contemplating between 0.25ct and 0.2ct. Is the size difference very very negligible, or can I notice a slight difference. I want the centre to stand out the most and want to have the right proportions.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I personally would go with the largest stones just because I like as much bling as I can get. Since you want the center to stand out I would suggest going with smaller side stones.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
This image shows with a center slightly larger than yours, but the percentage diameter comparisons still hold. a 0.8ct center is about 6.1mm, so I think if you want the center to stand out the most, the 62% proportion would be what I would go with. If the 0.2ct is around 3.8mm then that gives you 62% on the dot. 0.25ct (4.1mm) gives 67%. I think the 0.2ct would be fine (plus it would be a little less expensive ;)))

3stoneproportions.jpg

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
would it be really noticeable from normal eyesight. I know blown up you can tell, but does 0.05ct really look different in normal conditions?

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
would it be really noticeable from normal eyesight. I know blown up you can tell, but does 0.05ct really look different in normal conditions?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know what setting you're using? The height of the centre stone compared to the side stones will also determine how big the centre looks.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a 0.8 center I'd do the 0.2's. I just prefer the look of a little more difference in size to highlight the actual center stone. And that setting is pretty blingy by itself!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Id go with .25.... heres a pic of a .8 with .2 sides. Very lovely, but they look sightly more like accent stones. But them again that's probably personal preference. But sense I know your gf wants a lot of bling, I think that's a good size.

img_7488_638.jpg

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
Yea, my main concern is just how the centre looks compared to the sides. Although it is *blingier* with the larger stones, i don't want it to look like the three stones are blobbed into one stone. There has to still be some distinction.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yours would have proportions more similar to this, if the stones were right next to each other, and ignoring the second set, and remember your sides won't sit exactly next to each other.
The center is 6.1 and the sides are 4mm, so should be proportionate sense your stones a bit smaller both in regards to center and side.

uploadfromtaptalk1369680308282.jpg

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
I would choose 0.20ct in the sides because you want attraction in the center stone, bigger the side stones takes away attraction in the center, I would go with 0.20ct in sides

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
thanks... its really a tough decision without actually seeing side by side to compare...
issue is i already wired the payment and its in the CAD stage, so i dunno what the process is for requesting these changes. Even if i decide to change to .2 I dunno how the refund would work since it probably costs more in fees to initiate the wire transfer. The centre will be 6mm. Not sure the size of the side stones...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ballercaller|1369681772|3454578 said:
thanks... its really a tough decision without actually seeing side by side to compare...
issue is i already wired the payment and its in the CAD stage, so i dunno what the process is for requesting these changes. Even if i decide to change to .2 I dunno how the refund would work since it probably costs more in fees to initiate the wire transfer. The centre will be 6mm. Not sure the size of the side stones...

I really think you should leave them .25. I know I seem to be in the minority but even with them being .25 they will still be under 70% and that stone will definitely seem noticeably bigger.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Again, our personal preferences should not sway what you (and your lady) wants. You stated that you want the center to be the star, so I would keep the sides smaller. I don't think you would notice a huge difference unless you had 2 rings side by side with those different proportions as 0.3mm is about the width of a piece of paper. Did they charge you extra for requesting the 0.25ct over 0.2?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1369682007|3454583 said:
ballercaller|1369681772|3454578 said:

I really think you should leave them .25. I know I seem to be in the minority but even with them being .25 they will still be under 70% and that stone will definitely seem noticeably bigger.

I agree. Leave it at .25. In the chart above, I prefer the 1.5 with half carat sides better than the smallest ones. .25 will be great.

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
i believe the .25ct costs more. maybe about $100 give or take

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results