shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stone help - size recommendations

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hoping this is the correct forum to post this question, feel free to move to the correct place if not!

We are trying to give the all-clear on a big upgrade. We are close. There are still a few changes I would like to make. I’m toying with the idea of adding accent stones on either side of our emerald diamond (6.07 G VS1, 12.87X8.24X5.64 LW:1.56) I am doing a partial band to act as a spacer that fits around the basket between the eternity and main ring. We have a special design carved at the base, so that is an important detail to us.

When do the side stones start feeling more like 3-stone vibes and not accents? I want to keep the center stone and it’s elongated shape the focus but I feel like she needs a little oomph on the sides. Am I crazy? Here’s the cad with .40tcw Cadillacs. I can attach the same design without for reference as well.

I’d like feedback on what we have. I feel like I could keep adding more diamonds all day long and need someone to say “STOP, it’s perfect, or how about this layout?”

Thanks in advance!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Forgot the image!!

The center prongs and basket is platinum. The band is 18kt satin finish gold. I think I would prefer the side stone prongs and rail to be platinum as well, but that’s small detail at this point.

Attachments

• E81E474F-7A57-480F-BBB5-81D353DADB22.jpeg
    E81E474F-7A57-480F-BBB5-81D353DADB22.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 106

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here she is as a solitaire.

Attachments

• F3B135CA-D662-47CD-BB9F-3F3BAD6FB265.jpeg
    F3B135CA-D662-47CD-BB9F-3F3BAD6FB265.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 58

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would have chosen tapered baguettes as accent stones at 90deg to the main stone.

The Cadillac side stones look too small and not in proportion in the CAD for my liking.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for chiming in DK! I appreciate your post!

I have tried to love the baguette look on me and I just can’t get on board. I know I’m weird and probably in the vast minority. It’s such a classic look on others but when I get it on my hand I’m always underwhelmed by the look on me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for chiming in DK! I appreciate your post!

I have tried to love the baguette look on me and I just can’t get on board. I know I’m weird and probably in the vast minority. It’s such a classic look on others but when I get it on my hand I’m always underwhelmed by the look on me.

It's not for me also; hence I opted for a mixed cut halo with carré cut and MRBs for my EC.

DK :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's going on in your CAD? Is that green band a separate band and not connected to your ering (which is blue-green)?

You might want to explain, in general, what's going on in your CAD since there looks to be 2 or 3 rings (not really sure).

Edit...this says 3 stone to me. I tend to think of accent stones as more tucked away down near the base of the center stone
but that wont work here. The proportions on the accent stones seem off to me. I actually can't put my finger on it.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What's going on in your CAD? Is that green band a separate band and not connected to your ering (which is blue-green)?

You might want to explain, in general, what's going on in your CAD since there looks to be 2 or 3 rings (not really sure).

Edit...this says 3 stone to me. I tend to think of accent stones as more tucked away down near the base of the center stone
but that wont work here. The proportions on the accent stones seem off to me. I actually can't put my finger on it.

Sorry I wasn’t (edited) clear - Yes, there are three rings. The main ring. A half plain band that will go between the main ring and any stacked bands. The yellow band is a spaced bezeled band. I think it was made in a yellow color to show the different rings?

All will be in 18kt gold. The prongs will be platinum.

This is a set of Cadillacs that are available on hand. I can always request to custom cut a more aesthetically pleasing set too. I think that’s my struggle too. I really don’t know who to reach out to that may have some available. I reached out to Alex Park but he will only provide for stones he sells.

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
OK. I'm going to be honest. The side stones remind me of ears. I'm just not a fan of the round on the sides of the EC. If they were bigger I think it would be better. What about double baguettes on each side or even trillions? Keeping it more straight line geometric but it would be wider than single baguettes . I'm not sure what the proportions should be, but I would explore some other options before making a decision if it was me.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ea
OK. I'm going to be honest. The side stones remind me of ears. I'm just not a fan of the round on the sides of the EC. If they were bigger I think it would be better. What about double baguettes on each side or even trillions? Keeping it more straight line geometric but it would be wider than single baguettes . I'm not sure what the proportions should be, but I would explore some other options before making a decision if it was me.

Ears…. Yes!! Oh gosh I can’t get that out of my head now.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer it as a solitaire if those side stones are the only shape/size you are willing to consider.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I would do the solitaire as well as MissGotRocks said.. If you're planning on stacking it with the other bands there will be enough going on, and then, when you want, you can just wear it alone.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Found another example that’s closer in proportions to your cads, although still a little smaller at ~11mm in length

D2E940A3-6A8A-45F3-BFA4-D0FA46AFC867.jpeg

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would prefer it as a solitaire if those side stones are the only shape/size you are willing to consider.

Hi! I want to keep the knife edge so I was thinking they would naturally flow with that? Bullets were an option as well but I couldn’t find anything available.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would do the solitaire as well as MissGotRocks said.. If you're planning on stacking it with the other bands there will be enough going on, and then, when you want, you can just wear it alone.

Part of me wants to stick with a soli, but then I’m scared I will get “bored” with it and I want this to be a setting for long-term.

Notice how I didn’t say “forever” lol!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
With it being three rings worn together
And the shape of your center
I actually like the look of it set e/w and those same size sidestones - they look like they’d fit there nicely.

F1A75BBC-3041-4EB8-8E01-C610DE2FE696.png

Opinions are like elbows :lol:

Oooh. I never thought of it east west! Great idea and wonderful visual!

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Found another example that’s closer in proportions to your cads, although still a little smaller at ~11mm in length

D2E940A3-6A8A-45F3-BFA4-D0FA46AFC867.jpeg

Beautiful! I am absolutely open to larger side stones! Do you know offhand what these are?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love EC's set E/W and the mock up looks great to me.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I like the E/W also with the original side stones on the short side of the EC.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As soon as I saw your stone I was like “ohhh set that baby e/w.
Glad I’m not the only one lol

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
52CDE5DC-6886-4A37-A44D-4A41E7BB21FC.jpeg

Here’s a mock up of the diamond set both ways on my virtual finger for visuals. This website is so great for viewing different sizes on the hand!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
So, if you go with the side stones on the short end, like your original one, you will have total finger coverage and I think, better proportions. Especially if they angle them down a little.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think also doing a slight v prong instead of a single prong at the side stone tip (where it meets the shank) might be more flattering.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results