shape
carat
color
clarity

sick kitty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
What an adorable cat! I''ve never heard of a tuxedo cat. Sending good vibes and prayers for a very quick and complete recovery.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strongest vibes still outgoing for you and Max, please keep us posted
35.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Hoping we''ll hear good news from you today Sumbride. We all want to see Max back home, healthy and happy very soon.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I just talked to the vet. Not such good news. Max has several tumors around his intestines. They did a needle aspiration on one of them and are sending the material out to the lab to find out what we''re dealing with. Max has been happily eating lots of tuna though and they feel like he can come home now. He''s getting a shot of anti-nausea meds and some prednisone, but we''re going to bring him home and spend as much time as we can comforting him. I feel like it''s kitty hospice, but I''m glad the doctor is letting him come home. He wants Max to be as comfortable as possible while we wait to find out what''s next. I''m glad I''m on bed rest now so I can hold my Max these next couple of days. It would have been even worse if I''d had to go to work.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Awh, sorry to hear the news
39.gif
. Omie and I will keep our fingers and paws crossed, hoping that all of his tumors are not benign.

I am glad that timing worked out so that you can cuddle with Max until this is all figured out.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think some cuddling is just what you and the little furbaby need right now, so if there''s any silver lining on you being sick at the same time it''s that you''re not at work feeling guilty about the kitty.

I hope, whatever the news is, it''s the best possible news under this circumstance. *hugs*

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 1:20:38 PM
Author: sumbride
I just talked to the vet. Not such good news. Max has several tumors around his intestines. They did a needle aspiration on one of them and are sending the material out to the lab to find out what we''re dealing with. Max has been happily eating lots of tuna though and they feel like he can come home now. He''s getting a shot of anti-nausea meds and some prednisone, but we''re going to bring him home and spend as much time as we can comforting him. I feel like it''s kitty hospice, but I''m glad the doctor is letting him come home. He wants Max to be as comfortable as possible while we wait to find out what''s next. I''m glad I''m on bed rest now so I can hold my Max these next couple of days. It would have been even worse if I''d had to go to work.
I''m sorry, Sumbride. I''m glad he''s home with you where he can gets lots of love. I''m sure that''s probably the best medicine right now. Take care of yourself and kitty. Sending well wishes your way.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
thank you. yes, I''m glad he''s coming home. And the bed rest is a blessing in disguise at this point. That''s what my mom said. Thank you to everyone for the hugs and head bonks and good vibes and prayers. Max sends all his love to you too.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of hugs to you, Sumbride, and sending virtual nose rubs and yummy treats to Max!! Best wishes for a good prognosis from the vet!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about your cat. I''m unsure but this could be a similar illness that our cat had. She had tumors in her abdomen. We had to put her to sleep last month. BUT - she lived with these tumors rather happily for a few years. Your vet may be able to provide you with a better alternative - but our little Ezzie (black and white like your''s!) would gobble down Meow Mix wet pouches. We tried other stuff - but she would gobble down the meow mix. Her favorite - especially "Filet Meow". One day, she refused to eat. By late that afternoon, she was near comotose. It was her time. At best guess (our little black cat arrived on Halloween - she was full grown), she was a minimum of 17 years. Vet thought closer to 20. My point - from our experience you can keep them at home and comfortable. For how long? Only Max will know. Head bonks all around.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Sum... what a tough time for you and your kitty. We lost both of our childhood cats in the past couple years and it is just so hard watching them when they're sick and not their usual selves. But I really believe that cats know when it is their time (and when it ISN'T their time!) and understand it on a level we humans cannot... they are so remarkably intuitive. So while this is very hard on you and your FI, it helps to know that Max is probably at peace, just enjoying some quality time with his humans...
4.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry that the news isn''t better honey. It is a blessing that you are home with him and able to give him all the TLC you can. I am praying that the next round of news is better! My prayers are with you and Max. ((HUGS)).

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
We went to the vet this afternoon to pick Max up and he came out with a bandana on. The vet techs liked him so much they dressed him up! The doctor suspects he has lymphosarcoma and says that it is the most treatable form of feline cancer and told me to look into oncology and chemo, but he would support any decision we made. He''s put Max on prednisone now and says to hand feed him tuna or anything he will eat because the cancer actually doubles his metabolism while at the same time killing his appetite. When we got him home he ate almost a half of a can of tuna, purring while eating! Now he''s sort of lying on the floor with what I suspect is a belly ache from eating so much.

I''ve done an initial search of info on treatment for this and it seems like life span after chemo is 6 months to 2 years. FI and I don''t feel that it''s worth it for us. Chemo treatments would be several times a week for up to a few monthhs, with a cost we can''t handle. I think we''re going to spend as much time as we can with him and when he declines further, we''ll take him back in. It''s a hard decision, but it feels like it will be the right one.

FI is really hurting over this. He''s not been through this before. I keep telling him part of love is loss and part of the cost of loving an animal is the pain of letting go when it''s time. The joy Max has given us is much greater than the pain we''re experiencing now.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Sumbride; I am so sorry! You have had it tough lately. I am sending good vibes your way. I am thinking of you!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Sum, I am so sorry, that''s really tough. HUGS!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oh I'm so horribly sorry to hear this...i understand the tough choice you're making and my heart breaks for you....there really isn't much else to say other than it just royally sucks...but you've given your fur baby a wonderful life. Head bonks.
7.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh man I am sorry to hear this. It''s part of life but it still stinks. I''m sure Max will enjoy all the cuddling and love and being spoiled for all the time he has. *head bonk* and hugs.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Hang in strong Sumbride.Like you said he is in good hands and that matters.Its also nice that despite his poor health he recognized you right away.We are all thinking about him, he is not that old at 11 he has years left to enjoy.Hope all is well and you get some positive news soon.Don''t forget to take care of yourself.He will need you...

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Sumbride, I really sympathize with you. I know what it''s like to have a very sick pet and it''s especially hard when you reach the stage where you might have to make a very difficult decision. However, under the circumstances I think you have chosen the right path, it is the one I would have taken.

Enjoy the time you have together and remember, if God takes away your baby, it''s for a reason, and that reason is probably that your baby is too good for this earth and God needs him for a bigger and better job.

For now, keep Max comfortable, give him lots of hugs and kisses and spoil him rotten. It is all you can do and he will appreciate it.

I will pray that a miracle happens and he lives long, without any pain.

Big hugs flying your way.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Oh Sumbride, I am sooo sorry. If it helps at all, I completely understand where you are coming from and would do the same. It is so hard. {{{{{big big hugs}}}}

Why are you on bedrest?? (pregnant comes to mind....sorry...) I hope you are ok too.

Jeannine

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry. I cannot imagine facing that now, I love Maya so much and it has been a long time since I lost a pet, but I know it is hearbreaking. But there is a quality of life for a beloved pet, it is hard to let go sometimes when you love them, but less fair to them. Maya is only a little over a year and fine, but I suddenly got sad the other day thinking, will she make it til my youngest goes off to college, which would be 13 years, and how awful it will be to have something happen to her because she means a lot to us. I think that is part of the bittersweetness of loving...there is pain involved too. I really hope he feels better, and has some wonderful times with you while he is still feeling well...my heart goes out to you both...and Max too.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sumbride, I''m so sorry about Max. I''m sure he is thrilled to be home with you and smoothered in love. I think it''s comforting that the vet said it is a treatable form of cancer, but I know it can be financially draining. I went through a similar situation a few years ago with one of my cats that had stomach cancer. I couldn''t afford to keep the cat on chemo, and my daughter was devasted
8.gif
Hang in there...we''re sending you positive vibes
12.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you have to go through this. As far as making a tough decision it''s difficult to put a pet through chemo and a lot of invasive proceedures. Spending the best time you can with him is probably the wisest and most humane thing you can do for Max and yourselves. Sending good vibes out to you!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi – I’m sorry max is feeling sick. I'm a cat lover, and this must be really hard for you. I recently found out that my cat has fatal kidney failure, and now we just wait - there's nothing we can do. It's an awful feeling.

Here are a few things I am doing to keep him comfortable:

One thing that helps him is Pedialyte. I give him a syringe orally in the morning and night – this is if the vet says that he is dehydrated.

For the weight loss, I got one of those heat packs that people use for their necks - you know, the kind you put in the micowave? I heat that for him at night. They also sell a heated mat that I saw, I'm looknig into buying that for his bed, to keep him warm.

I give him turkey to help add on pounds - also canned pumpkin - this has alot of calories in it.

I hope he feels better :)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your love and support. It helps more than you know.

Treysar, those are great tips! thank you. I''m sorry about your kitty too.

Max is definitely happy to be home. He''s eating tuna every few hours. Basically every time he walks in the kitchen I offer it to him and he is eating greedily. He actually asked for breakfast this morning and it has been weeks since he''s done that. FI and I were so thrilled to hear his "annoying" 6am page for breakfast. He''s using his litter box and sleeping a lot, but I feel like he''s comfortable for now.

The vet called this morning to tell me they weren''t able to diagnose with the needle aspiration but he was going to ask the lab to let him repeat the test for free. He told me Max was so sweet he would happily donate the service to us if the lab would. I thanked him for that, but we talked about what it would show and he said it would only be confirming the diagnosis. He didn''t feel there was a question though. I told him about our decision and he said that''s what he would do too and there was certainly no need to perform further tests on Max if we weren''t going to pursue treatment. He''s on the right medicine to keep him comfortable so we can spend the time he has left with him at home.

I feel at peace with the decision we''ve made, and I''m sure Max will tell me when he''s ready. As long as he''s eating and controlling his bodily functions, we''ll cuddle him and enjoy him as long as we can.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope and pray that the treatments will be successful.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
We are all with you and pray for the best...

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Sending big hugs sumbride.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Oh sweetie! I''m so sorry, but I hear the strength in your words, and I''m glad you are making the most of this time with Max. Big Kitty Hugs from our house to yours.

Jeannine

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Max had a rough night last night after a couple weeks of decent health. He woke us up at 3 am crying in pain and then vomited all over the bathroom floor while I held his head and rubbed his throat and belly. He won''t eat anything and he''s very limp in my arms when I hold him, so I''m staying home with him today and we''ll take him to the vet this evening to be put down. It''s very hard, but it looks like it''s time to say goodbye.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results