shape
carat
color
clarity

SI2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alundberg

Rough_Rock
I am buying an engagement ring and have been talking to several people about purchasing a stone. One dealer told me that he has a 1.33 Princess F SI2 that is eye clean. The price is $4490 for the stone (friend of a friend). Will I be disappointed in a SI2? or if an SI2 is eye clean is it just as good as an SI1?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Alundberg,In general SI1 and SI2 both should be eye-clean. The difference should be in the density of the inclusions visible under 10x.There is a price differnce of course between SI2 and SI1 as well as between SI and VS but if you don't care how it looks under 10x you should be ok since the price looks good.Are you going to check it with independent expert?Leonid

imback

Rough_Rock
an SI2 may very well be eye-visible. but it may not be as well. if it is not eye-vis, then of course it appears precisely the same as an si1, to the unaided eye. if eye-clean is your criteria, then let your eye be the judge. look at it very carefully, in as many different lighting conditions as possible. if you don't see anything, and you like it, you have your answer.
get a return policy that will allow you time to be sure you really can't see the inclusions with the unaided eye, as your eyes may pick up something later that you did not notice at first.

bdoggy.jpg

imback

Rough_Rock
an SI2 may very well be eye-visible. but it may not be as well. if it is not eye-vis, then of course it appears precisely the same as an si1, to the unaided eye. if eye-clean is your criteria, then let your eye be the judge. look at it very carefully, in as many different lighting conditions as possible. if you don't see anything, and you like it, you have your answer.
get a return policy that will allow you time to be sure you really can't see the inclusions with the unaided eye, as your eyes may pick up something later that you did not notice at first.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi,Is that SI stone certified by either GIA,AGS or EGL ? If not, find out from your "friend of a friend" if he can send it to EGL in NYC for a simple $25 appraisal on clarity & color. You can then buy the official certificate for about $100 if its a true SI diamond.
Please let me know if I can help you with your selections.
thanks
MoeGIA graduate gemologist/model maker/designer/stone setter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results