shape
carat
color
clarity

SI2 OPINION ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
What is your opinion about SI2 ?

We saw a stone 1.15 E/SI2 for about $4000 but
she saw the inclusion with her naked eye. I could not
see it with my naked eye She saw the inclusion with the loupe and then she was able to see it without the loupe even when the jeweler flipped the stone around to confuse her. The inclusion was a little off from the table. We both liked the color but I wonder if anyone else could see the inclusion. I guess it would have been better if the inclusion was on the side to blend in with the prong settings ?

maybe having the inclusion wouldn't be so bad after all ? otherwise stone would be good.

6.65-6.72 x 4.22 mm
Weight 1.15
Depth 63.1
Table 59
Girdle thin to slightly thick faceted
Cutlet none
Polish very good
Symmetry good
Clarity SI2
Color E
Flourescence none

Inclusions:
crystal
cloud (off the side of table)
pinpoint
indented natural
extra facet

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
So she's able to see it in table up position? You guys should think about it - it might annoy her for years to come :((

Greentree

Rough_Rock
When buying diamonds you have to watch your lady's behavior closely. I get the impression the inclusions bother her. I won't try to "sell" her on the idea that the inclusions are OK. She may agree but secretly be disappointed. Keep looking. The one she really wants is still out there.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to ask whether you're aware that the stone is deep? 63% depth with 59% table is rather deep combination.

Well cut 1.15 carat stone would have 6.81 mm diameter, not 6.69 mm.

Kathy

Rough_Rock
I agree!! My sister and her fiance bought her ring on a cruise. It is an SI2--1.30 round stone and she can clearly see the inclusion with her eyesbut she said she didn't really care at the moment. But once she saw my stone which I set into a bezel necklace (VS2-H-1.331 round) she started to complain to her fiance. Additionally, she started to get really frustrated everytime she showed her ring to her friend 'cause they started pointing out the inclusion. What happened at the end, she removed the SI2 from the original ring and set it into a bezel necklace and replaced it with a VS1-H 1.50 (after months of complaining). :cheeky:

geo10000

Rough_Rock
Generally, the inclusion should not be visible when viewed table up according the Gemological Institute of America when given the "SI-2" clarity grade. As previously stated, IF the inclusion bothers her then go on as it will only become more of a problem in the future. If she is ok with it then it can be a means of identification for her in that she will always know her diamond. Best of luck to you.:))

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2002 3:18:15 PM

Just wanted to ask whether you're aware that the stone is deep? 63% depth with 59% table is rather deep combination.

Well cut 1.15 carat stone would have 6.81 mm diameter, not 6.69 mm.
----------------

How do we calculate the size of diameter ?

1 carat is 6.5mm

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
How do we calculate the size of diameter ?

1 carat is 6.5mm
----------------

You're right. Well cut 1 carat - 6.5 mm.

6.69 mm is ok for 1.09 carat stone.[/u]

Derek

Rough_Rock
If she can see it, I personally wouldn't risk it. I have been quite disappointed in clarity grading. I have seen quite a few GIA cert diamonds with a VS2 grade in which I can clearly see the inclusions face up with my naked eye, prior to ever picking up a loupe or turning the stone over. On the other hand I have seen one SI2 in which I could not for the life of me find any inclusions face up.

One tip I learned in looking at diamonds last weekend was that if the inclusion(s) are in the crown rather than the pavilion, there is less of a chance that the inclusion will reflect all over in the stone (making it that much more visible). So a central and high inclusion should be least likely to reflect. Of course that also means that it is going to be directly under the table which is the easiest to see...
Good luck!
-D

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
derek you are right - it is better to have an inclusion high in the center. The labs are harder on it, but the result is better for you the buyer.

I am dismayed at the number of people who say you are better off with a mark in the crown. They already factor this in - give me an SI1 or SI2 in the table any day :)

barry

Shiny_Rock
Derek;

Good point. This diamond is deep. Go for a better cut.
Chances are that you will not see the inclusion(s).

Barry
www.superbcert.com
"When Good Isn't Good Enough"

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
I found it.. beautiful stone..sparkled on a cloudy day,
and in the jewelers store's lighting and away from that lighting
GIA round 1.07
diameter 6.58x6.66 x4.08
color G
clarity SI2
table 55%
depth 61.6%
girdle thin-medium
polish very good
symmetry very good
flouresence none
cutlet none

inclusions not visible with naked eye..
tiny crystals and clouds which I could not see
with the loupe..so much better than SI1 that
we have seen..

price $4600..is this a good price ?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Considering you're buying from local store (not the internet), it sounds great :)

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
the jeweler was great. i told him my budget and he recommended this one
as opposed to the other stones in my price range...he and his staff
weren't pushy..explained the importance of cut , compared the stones..

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
also, the jeweler has an upgrade policy..

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
i looked up and saw G SI2 about $1000 cheaper..I am bummed
Did I get ripped off ?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
NOt all G SI2 are created equal. If you are pleased w/ the stone & the service, then no you did not get ripped off.

I have seen too many people make mistakes buying soley on price.

Kevin Collins

Rough_Rock
I'm just now learning about diamonds. Recently I have viewed several dozen stones and have yet to find a SI in which I could not see the inclusions with the naked eye. Bear in mind, I have 20/12 in both eyes and I had to take a close look. Unless you have "curious hawks" for friends, I believe it is unlikely that the inclusions will be noticed. If SHE notices them however.................. This is exactly why I am searching for a VS2 or VS1 myself.

Respectfully,

Kevin

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
I got G/SI2 with platinum tiffany 6 prong low setting .
She loves is it ! Friends and family are saying how brilliant the stone is.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are some great SI2s out there, but you really have to be picky about your selection.

You may want to consider compaing your E to a F or G color. The color you may not see so quickly or maybe not at all. If this is the case then move your clarity grade up a little.

Be picky! This is a major purchase I would think, very important if nothing else and you both need to be happy.

Best of luck!

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
This is the best SI2 I've seen. It's a beauty. Also, the store has an upgrade policy. They had the best stones and customer service was excellent.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sounds like you love everything about this diamond and the jeweler. Now, the only question is how does she feel?

If you didn't bring her into the selection process I don't think it's a problem. But since you did, how does she feel about it? (I don't want this to sound as though you shouldn't have or should have, that is a very personal preference)

If she is happy with it you found your perfect diamond........Congrats!

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sorry!

I have no idea how I missed your last post:

I got G/SI2 with platinum tiffany 6 prong low setting .
She loves is it ! Friends and family are saying how brilliant the stone is.

My replies would have been different :)

Congrats to both of you!

nywebchic

Rough_Rock
thanks,
Size was a factor , she really wanted 1 carat so we had to drop color and clarity.
There was H / SI1 but the G/SI2 was a prettier stone.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It's nice to hear that you listened to her wishes! After all, she's the one that has to wear the ring!:appl:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And another happy ending to a beautiful beginning. Good job!

Peace,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results