Thoughts?

• This is as good as SI2 gets

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Keep looking

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a 2 carat cushion cut diamond. My budget for this diamond is ~$12,000. I know that with this budget I am going to have to give on either carat weight, color, or clarity.

I do not want to go lower on carat weight, as I will be using this diamond in a solitaire setting and I want as much finger coverage as possible (I have looked into other cuts that large face-up appearances like oval cuts, but I really want a cushion). And I do not want to go lower than G in color.

So this leaves me with clarity to play with. My jeweler says that the only way I am going to be able to get a 2 carat cushion cut with good color for $12k is with an SI2 diamond. What makes this difficult is knowing that not all SI2 diamonds are equal.

I have looked at many diamonds over the past few months. All of them had something that I couldn't live with...too yellow, lower carat weight, obvious inclusions right in the middle of the table, perfect but out of price range....and then yesterday my jeweler got this in for me, and it is just over $12k.

GIA report:
Carat weight: 2.02 carats
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium blue

I initially thought he had given me the wrong diamond because I couldn't find the inclusions with my naked eye. So I whipped out the loupe and I saw them...a few specks of pepper (what it looks like to me, I think they are technically called clusters or clouds). After locating them with the loupe it wasn't too difficult for me to see them without the loupe. They are on the side of the diamond. They are somewhat difficult to see when looking at the stone from above, but at the right angle they can be seen.

So now for my question. Is this what I can expect from SI2 diamonds? Is this as good as they get? Are there SI2 diamonds that are eye clean and no inclusions can be seen without a loupe? Do inclusions like this affect the integrity of the stone or the way that it reflects light?

Should I wait it out in the hopes that an eye clean SI2 with good color comes along? Or is this as good as I am going to get with an SI2 diamond? Everything else about it is perfect for me...I love the shape, color, the way the it sparkles, the size.

I would love to see your SI2 diamonds, any cut, but cushion cut especially.

PS - I've been lurking this site for years! This is the first question I have ever asked but you guys have helped me with many decisions in the past. Thank you!!

fullsizerender-1.jpg

_31658.jpg

fullsizerender-5.jpg

_31659.jpg

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
One more pic that couldn't fit

img_6794.png

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
I have a video of it too! Could someone tell me the easiest way to upload videos on here?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Easiest way is to upload to youtube and post a link.

As for SI2 it's exceedingly difficult to find an eye clean cushion unless you keep the distance greater than 1' IMO.

mallymcl

Rough_Rock
Hi diamondseeker, is there any way on this forum to send you a private message? I had a question for you.

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
solgen - I agree with you on the 1' comment. From a distance I cannot see the inclusions, but up close I can see them at certain angles.

diamondseeker - Thank you for your input. Can you tell me more about the cut that isn't ideal? I know that cushions can be cut in a number of different ways. The GIA report this one was listed as a Cushion Modified Brilliant. I noticed on the report it doesn't have a grading for cut like other diamonds do. Is this normal?

Here's more info:

Table: 60%
Depth: 70.1%
Girdle: Slightly thick - extremely thick
Culet: None
Measurements: 7.69 x 6.46 x 4.53

Here is a link to a video of it. It's not a professional video, just one I took of it yesterday with the jeweler for my own sparkle reference. The video was shot with my phone from about 10-12 inches away from the diamond.

https://vid.me/oeN2

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mallymcl|1435539132|3896027 said:
Hi diamondseeker, is there any way on this forum to send you a private message? I had a question for you.

mally, we do not have private messages here. I have an account on Loupetroop.com under the same username, so you might be able to find me there. Otherwise, you are welcome to start a thread and I will be glad to try to help you that way!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twinning wisps are the inclusions that typically can't be seen without magnification at normal viewing distance. I have SI2 MRB solitaire and studs with twinning wisps and I can't see them without a loupe. If you'd like to see pictures, look under my name in SMTB.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I can see, which admittedly is limited, it doesn't look like there is a well defined facet pattern (it kind of looks like crushed ice). If you look at the links I gave you above for well cut cushions, you can see what I mean by well defined, symmetrical facet patterns. If I were buying, cut would be the last thing I would sacrifice. It has more to do with the beauty of the stone than anything.

This particular cushion may face up a little small for it's weight due to having a thick girdle. You may be able to find a better cut one under 2 cts that is close to that size. I couldn't handle the black inclusions, personally. I would rather have a well cut, better clarity stone that is smaller. My advice would be to look further. But regardless of my opinion, if you love it, that is what counts!

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
Baby monster: wow!!! Your diamond is beautiful! I would never have guessed that it was SI2. It's absolutely perfect to me! Thank you so much for sharing.

Diamondseeker: I understand what you are saying. It does not have defined facets like other cushions I have seen. My current e-ring stone is a 0.7 cushion that has extremity defined facets. They looks almost like emerald facets. This stone looks more like crushed ice than my current one.

I need to see this stone in person again before I decide. Maybe sleep on it another night. My initial reaction when I first saw the stone was a gasp and I thought it was beautiful. I think from now on I will have my jeweler show it to me then take it away :lol: I am not sure if I will be able to tolerate the inclusions. I may have to pass on this one :( I don't know...I'll see how I feel when I see it again in person.

May I vent a little about how frustrating diamond searching can be? Maybe frustrating isn't the right word. I am at a slight disadvantage because I am trading in another diamond for an upgrade, so I have to use my local jeweler. Otherwise, there are some JA diamonds that I would have jumped on in a heart beat.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, that is difficult when you have to use one jeweler. Cushions especially are easier to find online with multiple sources having pictures. Some people do sell their diamonds so they can start over at other places. Have you considered that?

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker- I have thought about it a few times, but never really tried. I don't think I will get as much for it as my jeweler is giving me. It is a 0.7 carat G VVS2 elongated cushion and he is giving me $4500 for it. Do you think I could get that much if I sold it else where?

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
Any other thoughts on the SI2 stone? Can I do better with SI2?

I have to let him know by this afternoon because he has to send it back tomorrow morning if I don't want it :(

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
After looking at it again today I decided that I can't let this one get away! It really is very beautiful in person. I have decided that I will not call them "inclusions," but rather "freckles" or a "birthmark" because they are special and make the diamond unique.

I am, however, going to continue looking for a little longer. Perhaps there is a better diamond in my price range that I haven't met yet. My deposit on this one is refundable or can be applied towards a different diamond if I find one. If I don't find one, I will be really happy with this one. I can live with the freckles :D

Now to start thinking about what setting I want for my precious.... :think: :think: :think:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results