shape
carat
color
clarity

SI1 eye flawless?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jknapper

Rough_Rock
I put a diamond in a tension mount, and I THINK I can see the inclusions when looking at it from the side with naked eye. Could it still be a SI1? I don't have the diamond in front of me, so can't remember if it was with the naked eye, or under power, or I guess it is possible it could be dust on the diamond

JOE_Q

Rough_Rock
jk, Here's some info I hope helps:
taken directly from www.goodoldgold.com website under the 4C's main menu, clarity, clarity tips.

"Know that in some VS2's and in the SI clarity grades inclusions can most assuredly be seen to the human eye when observed upside down. Remember that "eye-clean" refers to observing the diamond "face-up" as it's mounted in a ring.
In some SI's inclusions can be seen with the human eye, especially after viewing it under magnification and concentrating your focus at that point on the stone. Another thing you want to keep in mind and where many people misjudge a diamond is that when you look at a diamond from the side you can see a reflection of the girdle midway into the pavilion. Many people mistake this for an imperfection."

jknapper

Rough_Rock
that's interesting that you can see the reflection of the girdle in the pavillion - I guess that might be what I'm seeing - I assume by looking at it under 15x, would the reflection go away, or would I at least be able to confirm it being an imperfection?

btw.. This is an AWESOME sight - hmmmm....wonder why the jewlers don't tell you about it before buying a ring :))

geo10000

Rough_Rock
Also being able to see an inclusion can be relative to the size of the diamond. In example, you will not see an inclusion in a VS-2 clarity diamond at 1.00ct, however, in a 5.00ct you may. Also cut can be a factor. In example, you will not see an inclusion in a SI-1 clarity round brilliant cut but in an emerald diamond you may. This all of course hinges on the viewers vision.

George

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen eye visible, face up, VS1 inclusions in emerald cut diamonds of only 1ct. There is no one, single standard that explains the GIA methodology. Because of more scintillation the same size inclusion would never been seen with the naked eye in a round diamond.

Sellers tend to have less than perfect vision when they offer an "eye clean" stone in hopes that inexperienced eyes or less sharp eyes will just not see something. This tactic obviously works or they wouldn't do it.

I suggest that a truly eye clean stone, face up, is a perfectly usable and satisfactory stone for most purposes, but it up the the wearer and the buyer to be darn sure the stone satisfies them BEFORE they buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results