shape
carat
color
clarity

SI1 clarity grade

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
I am considering a diamond to become the second of a pair for earrings. My existing diamond is a VS2 clarity. This one matches well i think; here are the stats:
CW: 0.83
Table: 55
Depth: 62.4
Crown Angle: 35 deg
Pavilion Angle: 40.6 deg
HCA:0.9
The clarity on this contender is an SI1 the GIA certificate says feather and crystal. I am not sure where the feather and crystal are located. I will need to find out from the vendor.
Would SI1 be a deal breaker?
Thanks,
N

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously, specifics of the inclusions matter, but no you shouldn't reject on the mere fact it is an SI1. There are plenty of eye clean SI1's out there. And in this size range, you likely won't be able to discern any differences between a VS2 and SI1.

Now if you it drives you bonkers from a "mind clean" perspective, that is a different battle.

If you haven't read the clarity section of our education section, it would be a worthwhile read to gain a little more insight.

Lastly, I might ask, what are the proportions of the existing stone you are trying to match? Normally you want the spread (dimensions) to be very similar and my personal preference is to also have the proportions of each stone very similar as well. I would care more about that than matching a SI1 and VS2 together.

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. Sadly the diamond is sold. I will keep looking. I remember reading here that clouds in an SI1 are a cause for concern. Hence the doubts.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all. Sadly the diamond is sold. I will keep looking. I remember reading here that clouds in an SI1 are a cause for concern. Hence the doubts.

I'm sorry...nice stones go quick.

Put the stone on hold next time. It gives you some time to think about it and ask questions if you have any.

Clouds in an SI1 CAN BE a cause for concern but there are more details that we need than what you gave us. Next time
put the stone on hold then provide a link to the stone. We also need to look at the GIA report so we can see the order
of inclusions. The inclusions are listed in order of significance. You didn't even say this stone had clouds so I'm a
bit confused by your comment above.

If you need help finding a new stone, post the GIA report (or whatever report you have) for your current earring stone and
we can see if we can find a match.

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
Ok so another contender or actually 2 contenders. Both score under 2 on the HCA.
#1: 0.83 I SI1 GIA triple Ex
CA: 35
PA: 40.6
Table: 55%
Depth: 62.4%
Impurities: Crystal, Feather
Flourescence
5.98x6.01x3.74

#2: 0.83 I VS2 GIA triple
CA: 35.5
Table: 57%
Depth: 62.1%
Impurities: crystal twinning wisp
Flourescence: Faint
5.96x6.02x3.72

My existing diamond;
J VS1 0.813 AGS 000
CA: 34.7
PA: 40.7
Depth: 61.7
Flourescence: Med blue
5.94x5.99x3.68
Thank you for the advice

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
Bumpity bump

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We can't tell without pictures or certificate whether the inclusions would be acceptable.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Ok so another contender or actually 2 contenders. Both score under 2 on the HCA.
#1: 0.83 I SI1 GIA triple Ex
CA: 35
Table: 55%
Depth: 62.4%
Impurities: Crystal, Feather
Flourescence
5.98x6.01x3.74

#2: 0.83 I VS2 GIA triple
CA: 35.5
Depth: 62.1%
Impurities: crystal twinning wisp
Flourescence: Faint
5.96x6.02x3.72

My existing diamond;
J VS1 0.813 AGS 000
CA: 34.7
PA: 40.7
Depth: 61.7
Flourescence: Med blue
5.94x5.99x3.68
Thank you for the advice
An SI1 graded by a top tier laboratory should not have any durability issues.

As it relates to visibility of inclusions or blemishes, as @Tourmaline said, there's no way to know whether a given SI1 diamond is eye-clean without a definition and an in-person examination. VS2 characteristics in this size and shape of diamond are usually invisible to naked eye examination but - here again - it's not possible to speculate, based on what's listed above.

You've listed an SI1 and a VS2 which both have crystals as their grade-setting inclusion, but we don't know how many crystals in one or the other, whether they are opaque or transparent, where they are located (etc.).

Photos and video can help, somewhat, but they are not decisive, either. Focal depth, illumination, white balance settings can mask or exaggerate what you might see in real life. So it's useful to work with a seller who clearly defines what "eye-clean" means, as a baseline for confident communication.

There's more information here which may be useful.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I know everyone wants to see pics/reports but FWIW clarity SI1 is not a dealbreaker. Better a tiny crystal or a feather than clouds throughout the diamond… but a cloud here and there won’t hurt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results