shape
carat
color
clarity

SI1, "Clarity based on clouds not shown", video

guynextdoor

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I would like your expert opinion on this stone: im looking at the video and seems eye clean to me. But I know one should be careful buying this kind, with "clouds not shown" comments in GIA.

How does the ASET look? Id appreciate your feedback

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R110-TFYGJS

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Keeping comments strictly for educational purposes clarity entirely based on clouds at Vs2 and below has real potential to make the stone hazy/murky/cloudy. The facets may not appear crisp and the stone may have much lesser life.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi - speaking generally (not about this stone specifically as I can't since I'm in the trade) - - I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but GIA only plot the clarity characteristics that set the clarity grade of the stone, and those which will help identify it. So they don't necessarily plot all inclusions, just the main ones.
The additional comments are designed to make the viewer aware that what is on the plot doesn't necessarily represent every inclusion within the stone. So if a diamond has been graded an SI1, then the additional inclusions under the comments section can assist in finding those additional inclusions to help in determining whether it is a top end SI1, an average SI1, or a borderline/bottom end SI1.
Again, without speaking about this stone specifically, if you can't see anything in a diamond at 40x magnification when its rotating for a full 360 view...you're not likely to see anything when it's sitting in a ring on a finger.
And for a stone that has a cloud, as long as it isn't making the diamond appear dull/hazy or detracting from it in anyway that you can see, it should be fine.
Hope this helps.

guynextdoor

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback!
The stone looks clean to me on this video, Im just concerned Im missing smth important and don see its cloudiness or other features.
Generally speaking, if the stone is cloudy, wouldnt that be reflected in an ASET diagram as well?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not necessarily, the ASET is showing where the light that your eye is seeing is coming from. Green is from 0 to 45 degrees, red is from 45 to 75 degrees and blue represents the obstruction that occurs simply by you looking at the diamond, from 75 to 90 degrees.

Since the clouds are tiny pinpoint inclusions, often small colorless crystals, it is highly unlikely that you would see them in the ASET any more than in the video. Even if you could see them in the video or in the ASET, that would not tell you that they are eye clean, only that they are visible in the magnified video and ASET image. If you like that diamond and if you can send it back after inspection if you do not, then you really have little to lose by taking a look at it.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remember, if you order it to look at, you need to take it into different lighting environments, because the cloudiness will be more apparent in some light than others. But I wouldn't go through all that. I'd choose a different stone.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please remember that trade members cannot comment on stones directly but can only provide general information about diamond characteristics, etc. Their comments should not be taken as critiquing this stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results