clarity

Show off your Mystic Topaz

dmakeupd

Rough_Rock
heres mine
- 2011-05-02%2019.19.34.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like mystic topaz! But sadly, very few others on this forum appreciate it. I have an emerald-cut pendant and a checkerboard cushion ring, and I love the reflections of different colors from the stones!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1304406009|2910860 said:
I like mystic topaz! But sadly, very few others on this forum appreciate it. I have an emerald-cut pendant and a checkerboard cushion ring, and I love the reflections of different colors from the stones!

It's covered in plastic so I don't really get what is to appreciate in terms of a coloured gemstone? :confused:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pandora - most of us know your views on treatments, however not everyone shares them. As jstarfireb and dmakeupd say, they like the colours in mystic topaz, which is quite different from untreated gemstones. Good for them, as long as they are aware that it is a treatment (a fragile one at that) and pay accordingly.

You value rare, natural stones and spend your budget on a few great stones. Others go mainly by visual impact and spend their money differently. Some could say that you are wasting money - silly them. Others could say that jstarfireb and dmakeupd don't appreciate fine gems, which I would say is pretty snobbish. Lets each of us enjoy what we like best.

I admit I am not fond of coated topaz, but rock them on, girls!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a big lover of it, though it can be pretty when well cut and put into simple pieces (imo). People like what they like, as long as they know what it is. Some people don't blue topaz either but it gets accepted. And then there's the BE treated stones which well...you know....

I think is ok to like what you like. I know I got my fair share of some funky arse stones :lol:

-A

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm not opposed to heat treatment of some stones....but glass filled rubies/emeralds and mystic topaz go over my personal line. what is important is that it is your $ and your enjoyment that is important, not my opinion or anyone elses.

MoZo

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I have one from when I first started collecting. It's an orangy pink blue checkerboard round. It's really pretty.

25371_503089683425_134400018_30034590_2689764_n.jpg

23.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say that coated Topaz (in whatever form) is one of my few personal dislikes. The reason is that it is a man-made coating that can wear/scratch off. Personally, I don't see the point in buying something that will not last. I don't know what sort of prices pieces of jewellery go for with this in it but in the UK it's incredibly cheap and in abundance.

I do appreciate that natural Topaz has its fans (and I'm prepared to be converted if I see one I like) but I just can't get my head around coated Topaz. I do apologise to everybody who owns some and of course this all comes down to personal taste - it's just not mine - but then again I love Alexandrite and most people can't see the beauty in that either! :wink2:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess I've always been one to root for the underdog! I'm very budget-conscious and would buy an inexpensive treated stone over an expensive untreated stone, all other things being equal. I have those 2 mystic topaz pieces I mentioned in addition to a lot of irradiated blue topaz and an irradiated green diamond, not to mention a few glass cocktail pieces! I pretty much like anything sparkly. Regarding blue topaz, my personal opinion is that the windex blue color is more beautiful than any of the colors of natural topaz (light blue, white, pink/orange, etc.), which is more of an apples to apples comparison since blue topaz's treatment is permanent. I do tend to prefer stable treatments, and that's why I don't buy a lot of mystic topaz. I am a sucker for precision cutting, on the other hand, and I'll pay a premium for that.

But anyway, since this is a "show me" thread, here are mine. They didn't photograph too well, and I'm not looking to change anyone's opinions on mystic topaz, but I think these pieces are lovely!

(ETA: Davi, I love yours!)

jstar-mystic.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1304430752|2911017 said:
Pandora - most of us know your views on treatments, however not everyone shares them. As jstarfireb and dmakeupd say, they like the colours in mystic topaz, which is quite different from untreated gemstones. Good for them, as long as they are aware that it is a treatment (a fragile one at that) and pay accordingly.

You value rare, natural stones and spend your budget on a few great stones. Others go mainly by visual impact and spend their money differently. Some could say that you are wasting money - silly them. Others could say that jstarfireb and dmakeupd don't appreciate fine gems, which I would say is pretty snobbish. Lets each of us enjoy what we like best.

I admit I am not fond of coated topaz, but rock them on, girls!

Actually I'm probably one of the more accepting of treatments on the CS boards - I have no issues with heat-treatment at all and while I do wish Be treatments didn't exist (they don't do Be treating at all in Sri Lanka btw) because they're a bugger to ID, I totally get that it gives a lot of people who couldn't afford an unheated or heated stone something lovely in their price range.

It's true I tend to spend my money on good stones - although plenty are ones that others wouldn't necessarily regard as anything special: my new CC Garnet isn't stunningly beautiful but it's a good example and fills a hole in my collection - but I just find certain things a bit to far from natural.

I kind of see mystic topaz as being like diamonds where the backs have been painted pink. Anyway, it comes down to what people want to spend their $ on and what they personally like....

dmakeupd

Rough_Rock
Very pretty. I love the rainbow effect of these stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results