shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your soli's with prongs at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 oclock.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see it - now you just have to wait - lol! I am sure that you feel a huge sense of relief now that you have decided exactly what you want. You may not keep it forever but I bet it will be with you longer than a temporary setting! Should be lovely!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you make beautiful babies mrs-b.
Beautiful smart babies.

Thank you so much, @Rfisher.

This one might be temporary - and it might not. We'll see what I think of it when it's done. Either way, I'm hoping this one gives me a great deal of pleasure - even if only for the medium-term.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see it - now you just have to wait - lol! I am sure that you feel a huge sense of relief now that you have decided exactly what you want. You may not keep it forever but I bet it will be with you longer than a temporary setting! Should be lovely!

That's exactly what I'm thinking, @MissGotRocks - not forever, but not precisely 'temporary' either.

I suspect its final iteration might have a little more sparkle, but I *am* drawn to a ring that's easy to wear, easy to maintain and doesn't need to be babied. So we'll see.

And that's the fun part of life - it's a ride, not a single destination. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have some interesting (meaning original!) ideas for the e-ring, and it is certainly more interesting than a plain solitaire! Maybe it will turn out to be your long term setting!

What size ring would the Legacy be? 26 points is kind of large for a wedding band paired with an e-ring. I think 7 or 9 15 pointers (depending on ring size) would still be plenty large, give great finger coverage, and not take away from your gorgeous e-ring diamond! 26 pointers are also going to make the band pretty high making it possibly rub prongs or gallery detail on the e-ring.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@Rfisher and @ItsMainelyYou -

Thank you for those encouraging comments. The ring will be in yellow gold with a platinum head, but there will also be double platinum wraps on the shoulders (no pave - just platinum). Milgrain each side of the shank and two platinum fleur-de-lys motifs, end to end, on the back - similar to what I've done in the past with a pair of holly leaves on my rings, but this time it will be in the same pattern as the prongs. So - shank and donut - yellow gold. Prongs, wraps and decal on the back - platinum. Milgrain edge detail.

And just to jazz it all up....

I'm doing either a Norah or a Legacy by Caysie to go with it. Probably a 5 stone, because I don't want it to look like an eternity. Most likely a Legacy - with a platinum head and yellow gold shank with milgrain. Not huge - 26pt stones. Just to add some oomph.

Ok. So that's the whole catastrophe.

@Rfisher, @ItsMainelyYou, @diamondseeker2006, @LLJsmom, @Fabulous50, @SandyK, @MamaBee, @MissGotRocks, @Vanilla Bling, @bludiva, @Tonks and @stepcutnut....

Your thoughts please?

<gulp>

(Why do I feel like I'm asking people if they think my new born baby is pretty??)

This will be spectacular! I can't wait to see it!!!! It sounds like it will have a lovely old world look to it, with feminine touches. I love the mix of platinum and yellow gold!! How long will it take?

I love milgrain. My new setting has milgrain down the knife edge of the shank as well as the edges of the shank, and I enjoy it so much. I have been trying to get a good picture of the ring to use as a new avatar, but my photography skills are lacking.

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
Oh no. Hope your migraine is short-lived.

I appreciate, and approve of, the romantic Victorian prong style inspiration you're going with on this incarnation of the setting. At the moment, I have in process a similar floral fleur de lis motif, lifted and recreated from an antique ring's setting. (It's for a gift I hope to give my mother for Christmas this year and I'm holding off photos til completion. :shhh:)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no. Hope your migraine is short-lived.

I appreciate, and approve of, the romantic Victorian prong style inspiration you're going with on this incarnation of the setting. At the moment, I have in process a similar floral fleur de lis motif, lifted and recreated from an antique ring's setting. (It's for a gift I hope to give my mother for Christmas this year and I'm holding off photos til completion. :shhh:)

I will love seeing this, @asterismdispersion! What a lovely gift!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have some interesting (meaning original!) ideas for the e-ring, and it is certainly more interesting than a plain solitaire! Maybe it will turn out to be your long term setting!

What size ring would the Legacy be? 26 points is kind of large for a wedding band paired with an e-ring. I think 7 or 9 15 pointers (depending on ring size) would still be plenty large, give great finger coverage, and not take away from your gorgeous e-ring diamond! 26 pointers are also going to make the band pretty high making it possibly rub prongs or gallery detail on the e-ring.

That's why I'm going with only 5 stones. To me, balance comes from surface area, and I'm hoping less diamonds will keep the balance between my ACA and 5 stone.

I do understand the sort of ring you're describing, and I have one in yellow gold (9 x 11 points) and am doing a similar ring in platinum. This will be a completely different look, which won't be to everyone's taste. I'll like it, tho. Anyway, wait till you see it to see if you like it. Just to add - this won't be my wedding ring. My wedding ring will be a plain gold band with matching milgrain.

I'm chuckling at your "original" and "interesting" comments - I'm guessing the sound of it doesn't appeal to you? Well, that's the advantage of being older, I suppose, in that one knows one's own mind. I think I'll like it - and if I don't, I'll change it. Which is, again, one of the advantages of being older!

I don't know whether I'm just in the eye of the storm or what. A few days ago I was completely freaked out by the whole process and today I'm utterly calm and not at all fussed. I think this is a pretty good sign that I'm on the right track. We'll see! One thing I know for sure: if I like this ring half as much as I love your new beauty, I'll be thrilled! :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be spectacular! I can't wait to see it!!!! It sounds like it will have a lovely old world look to it, with feminine touches. I love the mix of platinum and yellow gold!! How long will it take?

I love milgrain. My new setting has milgrain down the knife edge of the shank as well as the edges of the shank, and I enjoy it so much. I have been trying to get a good picture of the ring to use as a new avatar, but my photography skills are lacking.

Thank you so much, @Fabulous50 - I think it will be both substantial and delicate. The detailing is very much to my taste, so I think I'll like it a lot. :)

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness - those decorative prongs are simply, elegantly, beautiful. I can’t wait to see how it works out and what changes you make from the inspiration piece! DK is working on an opal ring for me that has lotus inspired prongs and designs. Something about the fleur de lys seems universal and unique at the same time. Any idea what your timeline is? I’m so excited for you!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds lovely and 'just so' balanced with detail. Whether you realize it or not; you are slowly designing an entire signature line of your own while incorporating small change. It's exactly what the best jewelry design is, those minute tweaks of individuality.
So! As to the actual design- it hits all my target spots for greatness. The only thing I would do personally is matte the finish because I am just mad for matte.
The band will play nicely as the Legacy is low like my band is with a 'crown' set- so it shouldn't be an obstacle, but there will have to be visual confirmation in cads, I think. I'm excited about it and desperate to see those fleur de lis :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher and @ItsMainelyYou -

Thank you for those encouraging comments. The ring will be in yellow gold with a platinum head, but there will also be double platinum wraps on the shoulders (no pave - just platinum). Milgrain each side of the shank and two platinum fleur-de-lys motifs, end to end, on the back - similar to what I've done in the past with a pair of holly leaves on my rings, but this time it will be in the same pattern as the prongs. So - shank and donut - yellow gold. Prongs, wraps and decal on the back - platinum. Milgrain edge detail.

And just to jazz it all up....

I'm doing either a Norah or a Legacy by Caysie to go with it. Probably a 5 stone, because I don't want it to look like an eternity. Most likely a Legacy - with a platinum head and yellow gold shank with milgrain. Not huge - 26pt stones. Just to add some oomph.

Ok. So that's the whole catastrophe.

@Rfisher, @ItsMainelyYou, @diamondseeker2006, @LLJsmom, @Fabulous50, @SandyK, @MamaBee, @MissGotRocks, @Vanilla Bling, @bludiva, @Tonks and @stepcutnut....

Your thoughts please?

<gulp>

(Why do I feel like I'm asking people if they think my new born baby is pretty??)

I see. I could not visualize with the description but the eBay link helped. I think it will be lovely. So it’s got a Victorian vibe with the fleur de lys details, but all metal work, no pave anywhere. Did you say how many prongs? I think the symmetry of 8 would be beautiful. (Hint…). :)

I know artists like you can visualize the end product. I love that you have such a strong vision and am super excited to see it. This temporary will take the pressure off making a decision on the final setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I'm going with only 5 stones. To me, balance comes from surface area, and I'm hoping less diamonds will keep the balance between my ACA and 5 stone.

I do understand the sort of ring you're describing, and I have one in yellow gold (9 x 11 points) and am doing a similar ring in platinum. This will be a completely different look, which won't be to everyone's taste. I'll like it, tho. Anyway, wait till you see it to see if you like it. Just to add - this won't be my wedding ring. My wedding ring will be a plain gold band with matching milgrain.

I'm chuckling at your "original" and "interesting" comments - I'm guessing the sound of it doesn't appeal to you? Well, that's the advantage of being older, I suppose, in that one knows one's own mind. I think I'll like it - and if I don't, I'll change it. Which is, again, one of the advantages of being older!

I don't know whether I'm just in the eye of the storm or what. A few days ago I was completely freaked out by the whole process and today I'm utterly calm and not at all fussed. I think this is a pretty good sign that I'm on the right track. We'll see! One thing I know for sure: if I like this ring half as much as I love your new beauty, I'll be thrilled! :))

Haha! Nooo, original and interesting meant you have some good ideas but I didn't understand the description well enough to actually picture it!!! So it wasn't meant to be negative at all! Your rings are always pretty! I love the fleur de lis prongs on those pearls!

But because I can't picture the e-ring setting, maybe it is set higher so that the 26 point band can't hit the gallery or prongs. If so, then what I was saying won't matter. Even my Legacy band is too high to sit under my VC halo without rubbing the gallery, so I will only wear it together on occasion. That's why I mentioned it! Or you could wear a spacer band between them to keep the 26 point band from hitting the prongs of the e-ring. I unfortunately don't have enough finger space below my knuckles to do that myself! Thank you so much for the sweet comment about my ring!

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b can't wait to see it!! And your attitude makes perfect sense - forever is a very long time, and it's a PS prerogative to change our minds about all things bling, and this way you actually get to test drive a gorgeous setting for however long you do or don't please! :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow @mrs-b! When you said you purchased the pearl ring ..I thought you were going to wear it as a right hand ring. Then I remembered you don’t wear right hand rings…My eyes bugged out when I read you were going to have David copy the prongs! It will be fabulous! I can’t wait to see it with your gorgeous diamond in it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b can't wait to see it!! And your attitude makes perfect sense - forever is a very long time, and it's a PS prerogative to change our minds about all things bling, and this way you actually get to test drive a gorgeous setting for however long you do or don't please! :)

I want to like this a thousand times. <3

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @mrs-b! When you said you purchased the pearl ring ..I thought you were going to wear it as a right hand ring. Then I remembered you don’t wear right hand rings…My eyes bugged out when I read you were going to have David copy the prongs! It will be fabulous! I can’t wait to see it with your gorgeous diamond in it!

@MamaBee - your bugging out eyes comment made me literally LOL!

Isn't it pretty? I love it just as it is! But the idea of using it to copy the prongs is a good one, I think, as it's just what I wanted. I was planning on putting holly leaves on the back of the solitaire, but will go with the fleur-de-lys motif now, I think.

I've been working on the idea of matching the five stone with it. Goodness me, it's tedious and complicated! I want it to line up and to look as tho it 'goes', so I'm tweaking and tweaking etc. I'm not the sort of person to throw 2 rings together and just hope for the best. The bands will match, the motif on the back will match, both the solitaire stone and the 5 stone diamonds will have 6 prongs in matching orientation and, at the moment, I'm tearing my hair out trying to line up matching wraps on each end of the 5 stone, as well as on the band of the soli. They need to line up exactly, and will also extend the look of the soli so it coordinates better with the 5 stone. Both will wear well alone, the soli will wear well with my wedder, and the 5 stone can also be worn just with my wedder. Alternately, all three can go together. The height of the soli will need to accommodate the 5 stone, and all thicknesses and widths need to be coordinated.

I'll get there but, for a simple set, my word! - there's a lot of detail to shake down! But in the end, when you look at them together, they'll make complete visual sense and look like they 'go' - without looking matchy-matchy.

Man, I hope this looks beautiful!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, the more I work on this, the less temporary this setting is becoming. The 5 stone will bring the oomph factor to round it out, and will take the design to a place where I don't think it will look like it needs anything else. I'm hoping it looks like a strong, clean, but beautiful design in the end - a nice balance of lines and detail.

I would dearly love to leave it as is when this design is done and will happily do that if it seems 'enough' to my eye.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the way, the more I work on this, the less temporary this setting is becoming. The 5 stone will bring the oomph factor to round it out, and will take the design to a place where I don't think it will look like it needs anything else. I'm hoping it looks like a strong, clean, but beautiful design in the end - a nice balance of lines and detail.

I would dearly love to leave it as is when this design is done and will happily do that if it seems 'enough' to my eye.

@mrs-b When you took the pressure off yourself to find the permanent setting..it freed you up to be creative again. You can still say this is a temporary setting until it isn’t if that’s the way it works out! I’m excited for you!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b When you took the pressure off yourself to find the permanent setting..it freed you up to be creative again. You can still say this is a temporary setting until it isn’t if that’s the way it works out! I’m excited for you!!
You are absolutely right. Thank you so much for that insightful comment, J. ox

TwinkleT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello @mrs-b! :wavey:

I’ve followed quite a few of your threads over the years as a lurker and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading about the process and then seeing the big reveal. I’m looking forward to seeing your new ring and I hope it turns out to be even better than you envisioned.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello @mrs-b! :wavey:

I’ve followed quite a few of your threads over the years as a lurker and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading about the process and then seeing the big reveal. I’m looking forward to seeing your new ring and I hope it turns out to be even better than you envisioned.

Thank you so much, @sphinx1517! I hope this one won't disappoint.

Altho I have to say, for my new ACA to disappoint, I'd have to screw the design up BIG time - and hopefully that won't be the case!

:wavey:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results