shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your soli's with prongs at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 oclock.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Fabulous50 @Rfisher -

And in an extremely weird twist of fate.....

When I took my last 4ct ACA out of the halo into which I'd had it set, I asked Amy at DKJ to make me a work-horse solitaire setting so I could just get it on my hand. It was *this*:

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

145159 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

<polite cough>

Turns out....I had - not only a stone set at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 o'clock - but it was a 4ct ACA as well - almost identical to the one I have now!

I might just go take a nice, long nap and see if I can relocate my brain.

Good grief....

:roll2:

(And just to add - yes, I loved it!)

Haha…If you want to see another one..you can see Summer in a video with that placement. Look at my post above.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee -

Well, gees - they're really coming out of the woodwork now!

I love your Summer setting! Would you mind if I posted a photo of it here so anyone else searching has one more example? Let me know: I took a screen shot of the video, but won't post it unless you say it's ok.

I have to say, I love my 8 prong set off center as it was, and I love yours, too! I'm kinda swinging back around....

Which is typical, of course.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I've made a decision. I'm putting my new diamond in a temp setting. Personally, I blame @diamondseeker2006 - who showed us all just how possible that was! - and @MissGotRocks, @SandyK and @Fabulous50, who gave me permission *not* to know...until I really KNOW.

As always, @LLJsmom, @diamondseeker2006, @bludiva, @Vanilla Bling and @Rfisher - thank you for your comments, suggestions and encouragement, @stepcutnut and @Tonks - thank you for your enthusiasm, and @MamaBee - my sister in jewelry stress! - thank you for the good humor!

One utilitarian design coming right up!

Well, ok, maybe with just a couple of bells and whistles....

:mrgreen:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee -

Well, gees - they're really coming out of the woodwork now!

I love your Summer setting! Would you mind if I posted a photo of it here so anyone else searching has one more example? Let me know: I took a screen shot of the video, but won't post it unless you say it's ok.

I have to say, I love my 8 prong set off center as it was, and I love yours, too! I'm kinda swinging back around....

Which is typical, of course.
@mrs-b If course! That’s the Valoria setting from Whiteflash. They set it that way the first time. I knew it was a temporary setting so I didn’t care about the prong placement. When I upgraded to Winter in another Valoria setting I wanted the 12/6 orientation. I really like it better this way..

I think it’s a great idea to set it in a temporary setting. I’m still mulling over mine!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b If course! That’s the Valoria setting from Whiteflash. They set it that way the first time. I knew it was a temporary setting so I didn’t care about the prong placement. When I upgraded to Winter in another Valoria setting I wanted the 12/6 orientation. I really like it better this way..

I love that setting, @MamaBee - and I have to say - I love both orientations!

Doing the 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 orientation allows the arrows to point in the 12/6 orientation, without being covered by a prong. I think I like THAT aspect of things even more than the prongs at 12/6.

But it's all taste and horses for courses.

I'm thinking this ol' mare might go with the same orientation I had before.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I've made a decision. I'm putting my new diamond in a temp setting. Personally, I blame @diamondseeker2006 - who showed us all just how possible that was! - and @MissGotRocks, @SandyK and @Fabulous50, who gave me permission *not* to know...until I really KNOW.

As always, @LLJsmom, @diamondseeker2006, @bludiva, @Vanilla Bling and @Rfisher - thank you for your comments, suggestions and encouragement, @stepcutnut and @Tonks - thank you for your enthusiasm, and @MamaBee - my sister in jewelry stress! - thank you for the good humor!

Well, DS's tag line used to be 'when in doubt, don't.' Sometimes it is pretty good advice!

Another oldie but goodie 'haste makes waste' - better slow and sure. Meanwhile, you'll have a beautiful diamond to love and get to know while figuring out the final plans! It will all come together in time just as you want it to be.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I do think you're making a very wise decision! I think you have your forever stone now, and you can live with it a bit and really be able to visualize the different options before committing to one. It's more complicated sending a valuable diamond for setting and resetting, so it is good to take your time and make the best possible choice! In a way, having my diamond in a plain setting so long even made it better when she got her new one!

@MissGotRocks You remembered my tag line! I still remind myself of that one often! I probably should add it back if I can remember how! Indecision usually means to wait!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I do think you're making a very wise decision! I think you have your forever stone now, and you can live with it a bit and really be able to visualize the different options before committing to one. It's more complicated sending a valuable diamond for setting and resetting, so it is good to take your time and make the best possible choice! In a way, having my diamond in a plain setting so long even made it better when she got her new one!

@MissGotRocks You remembered my tag line! I still remind myself of that one often! I probably should add it back if I can remember how! Indecision usually means to wait!

@diamondseeker2006 it can be very good advice when you are uncertain. You will generally not lose anything by waiting to really think things through! I can change my mind a dozen times in a dozen hours - lol!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@Fabulous50 @Rfisher -

And in an extremely weird twist of fate.....

When I took my last 4ct ACA out of the halo into which I'd had it set, I asked Amy at DKJ to make me a work-horse solitaire setting so I could just get it on my hand. It was *this*:

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

145159 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

<polite cough>

Turns out....I had - not only a stone set at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 o'clock - but it was a 4ct ACA as well - almost identical to the one I have now!

I might just go take a nice, long nap and see if I can relocate my brain.

Good grief....

:roll2:

(And just to add - yes, I loved it!)

LOL!! I love it too....:mrgreen: Do that one again for now!

And I LOVE the yellow gold! I was toying with doing yellow gold for my ring before I found the Steven Kirsch design. Yellow gold is so warm and beautiful to me. My original wedding band is yellow gold.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

I feel proud to have been involved, if only as a supporter!! =)2:appl:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just found it - I love that video! Your ring is so beautiful, @MamaBee!

Thank you @Fabulous50! I don’t have Summer anymore. I upgraded to Winter..another ACA..Summer is a beautiful diamond. Anyone would be lucky to have her.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Fabulous50! I don’t have Summer anymore. I upgraded to Winter..another ACA..Summer is a beautiful diamond. Anyone would be lucky to have her.

Oh right!!! I actually remembered your post when you got Winter after I went searching last night! Winter is spectacular!!!!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
You are such a sweetheart, @Fabulous50 - thank you for the support. :))

My pleasure! I dream about these ACAs and think about upgrading one day to one myself. But then I feel guilty...even though my stone is not an engagement ring, it was a gift from my DH for my 50th bday.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pleasure! I dream about these ACAs and think about upgrading one day to one myself. But then I feel guilty...even though my stone is not an engagement ring, it was a gift from my DH for my 50th bday.

Your diamond is so similar to mine - I wouldn't bother upgrading if I were you.

I noticed you said on your Steven Kirsch re-set thread that your diamond was GIA "excellent but not ideal". You realize GIA doesn't have an ideal grading, yes? AGS and GIA use different terminology, so you'll never get a 'GIA ideal'. Have you posted it's GIA cert anywhere? I'd like to take a look at it, if it's around.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

I noticed you said on your Steven Kirsch re-set thread that your diamond was GIA "excellent but not ideal". You realize GIA doesn't have an ideal grading, yes? AGS and GIA use different terminology, so you'll never get a 'GIA ideal'. Have you posted it's GIA cert anywhere? I'd like to take a look at it, if it's around.

Yes, I know that, was just kind of using shorthand. I may have posted it at some point, will take a look. You will not love the cut though, it got a bad HCA score!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I know that, was just kind of using shorthand. I may have posted it at some point, will take a look. You will not love the cut though, it got a bad HCA score!

I couldn’t find it in my photos so I will post it tomorrow when I get home tomorrow (away for weekend).

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

Hi @mrs-b - attached is the GIA cert. please tell me what you think and thank you!!
500C5689-90CF-4320-BE2B-6E0DCA156CBD.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Fabulous50 -

Well, firstly, the color is nice, the inclusions wouldn't bother me and the fluorescence is possibly a bonus. I doubt it's a drawback, at the very least.

Were it me, I'd have it recut. I had a 2.35ct diamond - H SI1, in fact! - that was very similar; shallow, very needly arrows, and a low crown/wide table / deep pav. angle. I had it recut to super ideal proportions by GOG and it came out fabulously.

My new ACA is about the same diameter as yours, and it's 4.05ct and not cut especially deep. So you're really showing too much diameter for your ctw to have an ideal cut stone with ideal light return. So, again, I'd have it recut. You'd lose some diameter, but you'd still have a big diamond - well over 3ct - and you'd get noticeably improved light return and what cut aficionados would consider a more quality product. Whether that's *your* cup of tea or not is up to you and nobody else's right to tell you.

But it's what I'd do. I also had BGD recut one of my diamonds. The change in both diamonds was unbelievable. Definitely worth it. Also, depending on what's removed, sometimes it improves its clarity and/or color grading. So they're always regraded as a matter of course after a recut. My GOG recut stayed the same, but my BGD recut went from an SI1 to a VS2. Goodness me, that was a beautiful stone!

Here are a few of my recut 2.05ct H SI1. They were almost all taken in bad lighting on a cheap flip phone, so pls excuse the dullness. In real life, this stone was a firecracker!

386548 383948

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Fabulous50 -

Well, firstly, the color is nice, the inclusions wouldn't bother me and the fluorescence is possibly a bonus. I doubt it's a drawback, at the very least.

Were it me, I'd have it recut. I had a 2.35ct diamond - H SI1, in fact! - that was very similar; shallow, very needly arrows, and a low crown/wide table / deep pav. angle. I had it recut to super ideal proportions by GOG and it came out fabulously.

My new ACA is about the same diameter as yours, and it's 4.05ct and not cut especially deep. So you're really showing too much diameter for your ctw to have an ideal cut stone with ideal light return. So, again, I'd have it recut. You'd lose some diameter, but you'd still have a big diamond - well over 3ct - and you'd get noticeably improved light return and what cut aficionados would consider a more quality product. Whether that's *your* cup of tea or not is up to you and nobody else's right to tell you.

But it's what I'd do. I also had BGD recut one of my diamonds. The change in both diamonds was unbelievable. Definitely worth it. Also, depending on what's removed, sometimes it improves its clarity and/or color grading. So they're always regraded as a matter of course after a recut. My GOG recut stayed the same, but my BGD recut went from an SI1 to a VS2. Goodness me, that was a beautiful stone!

Here are a few of my recut 2.05ct H SI1. They were almost all taken in bad lighting on a cheap flip phone, so pls excuse the dullness. In real life, this stone was a firecracker!

H SI1.JPG

7 stone and 2.15 combo.JPG

img_3710.jpg

img_3708.jpg img_3402.jpg

Thank you so much, @mrs-b , for taking the time to analyze my stone, as well as the explanation. I have always wondered about the characteristics and diameter of my stone, and I noticed it was large in diameter for its carat weight. I also wondered what it would mean to recut and how much I might lose of the stone, so I greatly appreciate your examples and the pictures of the one you had recut by GOG!! It looks fantastic!

I don't know if its my cup of tea or not, actually - I don't think I have ever seen an ideal cut diamond up close and in person! That is the piece I am missing now, real experience seeing the performance of an ideal cut stone, in comparison to my own diamond, and how I perceive the difference. I wish Whiteflash or BGD was near me to go look with no obligation. Is there some vendor in NYC that has anything like that quality of cut?

Thanks again... :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @mrs-b , for taking the time to analyze my stone, as well as the explanation. I have always wondered about the characteristics and diameter of my stone, and I noticed it was large in diameter for its carat weight. I also wondered what it would mean to recut and how much I might lose of the stone, so I greatly appreciate your examples and the pictures of the one you had recut by GOG!! It looks fantastic!

I don't know if its my cup of tea or not, actually - I don't think I have ever seen an ideal cut diamond up close and in person! That is the piece I am missing now, real experience seeing the performance of an ideal cut stone, in comparison to my own diamond, and how I perceive the difference. I wish Whiteflash or BGD was near me to go look with no obligation. Is there some vendor in NYC that has anything like that quality of cut?

Thanks again... :wavey:

Can you make it out to Massapequa? Good Old Gold is there. Alternately, do you ever get up to Boston? I'd be happy to meet up with you for a coffee + jewelry chat!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Can you make it out to Massapequa? Good Old Gold is there. Alternately, do you ever get up to Boston? I'd be happy to meet up with you for a coffee + jewelry chat!

OMG I just had this image of me heading to Boston with a jewelry box with everything I want your opinion on, lol!!! [not that I have so many diamonds ha ha]. Although I am deeply afraid that the more educated I get, the more I will want to upgrade!!!

I can definitely get to GOG, thats a great idea. A diamond related road trip sounds much better than day at the office!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For anyone who's interested, here are the prongs I'm going with for my new ring. For a temp setting, this sure is shaping up to be something very pretty!

I bought the above ring - a Victorian moi et toi - and have shipped it to DKJ to copy the prongs. Adding a few more bells and whistles and it should give me something lovely.

What's the bet I never, ever change it? I figure if I really am going to take @diamondseeker2006 as my role model on this, I had best have something I like if I'm going to be looking at it for 8 years!!

Not quite my dream setting, but more than a temp. Something sort of in the middle.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dang!
That’s going to be gorgeous!!!!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
For anyone who's interested, here are the prongs I'm going with for my new ring. For a temp setting, this sure is shaping up to be something very pretty!

I bought the above ring - a Victorian moi et toi - and have shipped it to DKJ to copy the prongs. Adding a few more bells and whistles and it should give me something lovely.

What's the bet I never, ever change it? I figure if I really am going to take @diamondseeker2006 as my role model on this, I had best have something I like if I'm going to be looking at it for 8 years!!

Not quite my dream setting, but more than a temp. Something sort of in the middle.

Well, permanent or not, those are some of the most beautiful examples of fleur de lis prongs I've ever seen. That would be an end all for me! I would love a solitaire like that.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher and @ItsMainelyYou -

Thank you for those encouraging comments. The ring will be in yellow gold with a platinum head, but there will also be double platinum wraps on the shoulders (no pave - just platinum). Milgrain each side of the shank and two platinum fleur-de-lys motifs, end to end, on the back - similar to what I've done in the past with a pair of holly leaves on my rings, but this time it will be in the same pattern as the prongs. So - shank and donut - yellow gold. Prongs, wraps and decal on the back - platinum. Milgrain edge detail.

And just to jazz it all up....

I'm doing either a Norah or a Legacy by Caysie to go with it. Probably a 5 stone, because I don't want it to look like an eternity. Most likely a Legacy - with a platinum head and yellow gold shank with milgrain. Not huge - 26pt stones. Just to add some oomph.

Ok. So that's the whole catastrophe.

@Rfisher, @ItsMainelyYou, @diamondseeker2006, @LLJsmom, @Fabulous50, @SandyK, @MamaBee, @MissGotRocks, @Vanilla Bling, @bludiva, @Tonks and @stepcutnut....

Your thoughts please?

<gulp>

(Why do I feel like I'm asking people if they think my new born baby is pretty??)

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you make beautiful babies mrs-b.
Beautiful smart babies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results