shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your soli's with prongs at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 oclock.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally our 6 prong settings have prongs at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 o'clock. But I'm considering a different design, with the prongs rotated one click around the head of the diamond.

But it's very hard to find examples!

Anyone with anything out there they might be able to share?

Thank you in advance!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not mine but this gorgeous one :love: pops up in my mind first

6D905E7B-48D2-40CB-BDBB-AC14BC2ABAE5.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SO much, @Rfisher - and also to @Fabulous50 for this gorgeous ring.

So here's my question. Do you think this prong arrangement minimizes the look of the diamond's spread? I mean, when all is said and done, it's still 6 prongs on the parameter of the diamond. But when they're set at 12o'clock etc, I wonder if it extends the look of the diamond, since it defines its parameters when viewed in regular viewing direction.

Your thoughts on this?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's my question. Do you think this prong arrangement minimizes the look of the diamond's spread?

Your thoughts on this?
I don’t know? Good question though!
I don’t know if this is conclusive or even fair representation
But rotating the whole head on your previous ring:
9C330FCA-3100-4601-9947-5BD7BDFC62D6.jpeg
Does comparison provide any input?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know? Good question though!
I don’t know if this is conclusive or even fair representation
But rotating the whole head on your previous ring:
9C330FCA-3100-4601-9947-5BD7BDFC62D6.jpeg
Does comparison provide any input?

YES! Clear as a bell now! Not going to do it.

Thank you so much, @Rfisher!

(By the way - which orientation do you prefer?)

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea/aesthetics of where you were going.
But
I don’t know if the 12/6 o’clock area of a 4ct ACA being naked and vulnerable shouldn’t scare me? I’m clumsy though!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea/aesthetics of where you were going.
But
I don’t know if the 12/6 o’clock area of a 4ct ACA being naked and vulnerable shouldn’t scare me? I’m clumsy though!

Exactly! One good thwack and we're in all sorts of trouble!

I think I need a bit more protection. I have to say tho - this whole solitaire setting is sending me out of my mind to the extent that I'm thinking about going with something completely plain and utilitarian, just to get it on my hand.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should also add - 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 o'clock orientation was very common in decades past and particularly in Australian settings. English as well, I believe. When I came to the US, I was taken aback how pretty much all 6 prong settings were / are 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 o'clock orientations. So to go back to the 1, 3, etc would be very familiar for me. But I'd forgotten just how EXPOSED the top of the ring looks and, despite being very gentle on my jewelry, it's not a risk I could happily take.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think having the first prong at 12:00 extends the eye upward making it appear larger. So glad you have decided to go that route! So maybe it would be best to have a simple solitaire for now to give yourself more time to think it over? Sometimes seeing and living with a diamond awhile makes it clearer which direction to go in with that particular stone. Just a thought!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think having the first prong at 12:00 extends the eye upward making it appear larger. So glad you have decided to go that route! So maybe it would be best to have a simple solitaire for now to give yourself more time to think it over? Sometimes seeing and living with a diamond awhile makes it clearer which direction to go in with that particular stone. Just a thought!

In which case, you and Amy from DKJ are on the same page, @MissGotRocks!

I'm starting to come round to this way of thinking, too.

Perhaps I'll end up taking @diamondseeker2006 as my role model on this!!

:mrgreen:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope by role model you don't mean set in a plain solitaire for 8 years before deciding on a permanent setting! :lol:

I very much considered antique style solitaires with the prong orientation you mentioned. But I was slightly afraid of the possibility of dropping the ring and not having that protection at 12 and 6.

That said, I love Fabulous50's ring so much, and I would consider it as long as the ring was insured!

Vanilla Bling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you SO much, @Rfisher - and also to @Fabulous50 for this gorgeous ring.

So here's my question. Do you think this prong arrangement minimizes the look of the diamond's spread? I mean, when all is said and done, it's still 6 prongs on the parameter of the diamond. But when they're set at 12o'clock etc, I wonder if it extends the look of the diamond, since it defines its parameters when viewed in regular viewing direction.

Your thoughts on this?

I know what you’re saying and I tend to agree , I don’t like prong placements like what is pictured .

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I am dying to see your new stone @mrs-b !!

I saw on your other thread that you are considering an EW setting, so wanted to throw out some VC settings I love (I think he sometimes works with outside stones?) - I love that the scalloped baskets give you something extra, while still keeping the design clean and classic. I also LOVE your pave petal basket idea!

1622761942224.png

1622761980687.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In which case, you and Amy from DKJ are on the same page, @MissGotRocks!

I'm starting to come round to this way of thinking, too.

Perhaps I'll end up taking @diamondseeker2006 as my role model on this!!

:mrgreen:
I know you want to make something uniquely yours and beautiful but I do remember reading here somewhere about being sorry that you let the 4 ct solitaire go that you used to own. I assume that you loved that setting as it was so it just makes me think ...maybe that was the ticket for you! I am more about the diamond than the setting myself so I am a bit slanted in that point of view. There have been some really beautiful settings made for diamonds here though and no doubt you will land on the right combo for yourself!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SandyK -

Oh gees. I was thinking about a 6 prong with pave garland!! Well there goes that idea, I suppose. :(2 It was similar to my Merry ring, but now if I do it, it will look like I'm copying Victor!

Sigh....

ETA. Don't anyone post anything else, pls!! Gaaaah!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you want to make something uniquely yours and beautiful but I do remember reading here somewhere about being sorry that you let the 4 ct solitaire go that you used to own. I assume that you loved that setting as it was so it just makes me think ...maybe that was the ticket for you! I am more about the diamond than the setting myself so I am a bit slanted in that point of view. There have been some really beautiful settings made for diamonds here though and no doubt you will land on the right combo for yourself!

I've been discussing this with my DH, @MissGotRocks, and he's seen me getting pretty stressed about it all. He suggested I stick it in some wet noodles and wrap it around my finger.

And I'm just about *there*, too....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope by role model you don't mean set in a plain solitaire for 8 years before deciding on a permanent setting! :lol:

I very much considered antique style solitaires with the prong orientation you mentioned. But I was slightly afraid of the possibility of dropping the ring and not having that protection at 12 and 6.

That said, I love Fabulous50's ring so much, and I would consider it as long as the ring was insured!

That's *exactly* what I meant!

And I think Fabulous50's ring is utterly stunning. I'm just not the girl for it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SandyK -

Oh gees. I was thinking about a 6 prong with pave garland!! Well there goes that idea, I suppose. :(2 It was similar to my Merry ring, but now if I do it, it will look like I'm copying Victor!

Sigh....

I don’t think I’m being crazy if I don’t think you wouldn’t be copying VC. That design is not that revolutionary. I think if you did something similar you should put in a donut at the bottom. Then it would look less bobble-heady. That’s just changing a four prong to a six prong. I had a Jocelyn that was a 4 prong that could easily be changed to 6.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SandyK -

Sigh....

I don’t think pave on petals or swoops are specific to either designer, I’ve seen those elements on other settings. I wouldn’t copy the entire setting of course but but pave decorating the basket is reasonable imho :wavey:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@SandyK -

Sigh....

Oh, I’m so sorry! I was just trying to be helpful and thought those settings would look amazing with you stone :(

If you did want to to this route, I definitely agree with everyone else who said that a scalloped basket, and pave baskets, are definitely not a unique design idea such that incorporating them into your design would be viewed as copying by anyone. And agree on adding a donut, plus I think you want a two-tone ring.

Ok I’m done, sorry again!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I’m so sorry! I was just trying to be helpful and thought those settings would look amazing with you stone :(

If you did want to to this route, I definitely agree with everyone else who said that a scalloped basket, and pave baskets, are definitely not a unique design idea such that incorporating them into your design would be viewed as copying by anyone. And agree on adding a donut, plus I think you want a two-tone ring.

Ok I’m done, sorry again!

Awww - I'm sorry, @SandyK! I do appreciate your comments - and everyone else's as well!

I'm just so lost in this. I actually had a 'jewelry design induced' migraine today!

I'm about a New York minute away from telling DKJ just to shove it in something functional til I work out what it is that I actually love and can't live without. Because it has to be that good. I mean - have you *seen* that diamond?! The setting for it really does have to be that good.

But no pressure....

:eek2:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Awww - I'm sorry, @SandyK! I do appreciate your comments - and everyone else's as well!

I'm just so lost in this. I actually had a 'jewelry design induced' migraine today!

I'm about a New York minute away from telling DKJ just to shove it in something functional til I work out what it is that I actually love and can't live without. Because it has to be that good. I mean - have you *seen* that diamond?! The setting for it really does have to be that good.

But no pressure....

YES.

I know you are super anxious to have that diamond on your finger (and we are all dying to see it), but that should not drive you to rush the setting!!

It seems like you still aren't totally sure what the perfect setting is yet, so I would definitely vote to have it put into an inexpensive temporary setting. That will take the pressure off your design/decision process, let you enjoy the stone in the meantime so you don't go crazy, help you visualize what the various setting options might look like on your finger, maybe get to see some of your setting candidates in person, etc. etc.

You already have the most important part of your ring, and the setting will come. There is no rush!!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b , @Rfisher and @diamondseeker2006 - thanks for the tagging me and the lovely comments to my ring! Yikes, I admit I never thought about the risk factor for the placement of the prongs. The reason for it was because of the placement of the design on the sides (gallery? sorry not sure what to call it). Placement of the prongs at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, &11 allowed for the design motif to be centered.

I don't know if the prong placement is a factor, but I have noticed that my diamond looks bigger and more sparkly in this setting than my last setting. My dh and friends and family notice it too. I actually asked my dh if he sneaky-upgraded my diamond to a better cut, ha ha!! He knows I have become mildly obsessed with ideal cuts after I found pricescope.

The ring is insured - I should find out if I need to re-insure now that it is in a different setting, as the insurance describes the old setting!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

But no pressure....

Whatever you pick will be amazing!! Even something plain for now would be fun for a while as you give yourself time to decide on your long term setting. :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Fabulous50 @Rfisher -

And in an extremely weird twist of fate.....

When I took my last 4ct ACA out of the halo into which I'd had it set, I asked Amy at DKJ to make me a work-horse solitaire setting so I could just get it on my hand. It was *this*:

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

145159 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

<polite cough>

Turns out....I had - not only a stone set at 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 o'clock - but it was a 4ct ACA as well - almost identical to the one I have now!

I might just go take a nice, long nap and see if I can relocate my brain.

Good grief....

:roll2:

(And just to add - yes, I loved it!)

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b I don’t know how to link the thread. Summer, my previous ACA, had that placement. There’s a video on my thread, Introducing Summer…that you can see. Just put in those two words and Mamabee in the search box. It will pop up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results