shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me your Self-Set Jewelry!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have never purchased from US vendors as the shipping cost makes it less of a bargain for me, but if you are in the US, they should be very well priced.
Yeah, I think often times the vendor we use depends on where we are in the world. In my case, I live in the US and will buy from US vendors just so I can have the setting earlier, as shipment from Asia takes 2-3 weeks.

voce

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU for this thread and recommendations! :clap:

I'd been trying for so long to find a cheap way to set an un-calibrated-size stone. I took the plunge to contact natcha_creations and it couldn't have gone better. The level of service, communication, and attention to detail was so beyond my expectations. I just asked for a 1mm change to an existing setting of theirs, and they added little gallery details for extra stability without my even asking, they sent CADs for approval (!!) again without my asking... just awesome service and makes me feel confident trusting them with any level of project. I did have a question because the measurements on the CADs were 0.2mm off from my stone, but they said that was normal and not to worry, so I gave them the OK. Well it fits perfectly! I got a halo setting and was trying not to have any expectations about the stone sitting high vs low - thankfully it looks great!

I don't have any jewelry tools, but a needle-nose pliers from my hardware kit worked to get the prongs secure and ok-looking from straight-on. They're not flush to the stone as I'd like, but I think probably "the perfect is the enemy of the good" at this point, until I have more practice at this, haha.

Stone is a 3.57ct electric blue topaz:
20181006_133916.jpg 20181006_141125.jpg
Wow, I wasn't sure when you posted in the CS forum, but since you set this yourself, good job! I am super impressed not only by the fact that you set it yourself, but with the whole effect of your topaz pendant. The whole project is better than the sum of its parts.

voce

Ideal_Rock
il_642xN.1547606201_f3jj.jpg

il_642xN.1025449587_o1it.jpg
I'm planning to use the top setting to set the the Holley agate and hoping the bottom lotus one will bend to fit around my 6mm star.
il_570xN.1551260835_gavz.jpg il_570xN.1524354910_c15p.jpg
The star is 6mm and I got another 6mm in case the 7mm-8mm lotus setting wouldn't work (there is only one size for that setting), but I really like the idea of seeing this star in a lotus setting.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are your settings pre-notched @bludiva ?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
My phone cam is terrible but I can't resist sharing...just finished it today! :) tourmaline in silver/CZ setting.

20181106_112403_HDR-1.jpg

I’m amazed, it looks so neat and well finished! You made a beautiful ring :geek2:.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@peacechick awww, thank you! the czs were already set so i just "assembled" :lol-2:

@Austina it's is a prenotched setting from natcha creations. i baked it to try to give the czs more depth but can't tell if it helped. the setting looks better than i was expecting - well made and sparkly. :mrgreen2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @bludiva I’m thinking of ordering some OEC Moissonite for earrings and some sterling silver mounts. I’ve seen some pretty pre notched ones as I figure the SS will be more malleable than WG.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @bludiva I’m thinking of ordering some OEC Moissonite for earrings and some sterling silver mounts. I’ve seen some pretty pre notched ones as I figure the SS will be more malleable than WG.

i'm thinking of doing the same =) would definitely start w/ SS - i broke my first couple of experiments. eek!

if you don't have any i would get prong pliers, they have been more useful than a prong pusher for me and they are inexpensive

i think round stones are the easiest - the tourmaline pendant i set a while back took less than 5 minutes. that one was a rio grande setting.

PSX_20180911_112743.jpg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @bludiva, I’m going to do it! I’ll let you know how I get on :D

Which type of setting pliers have you got, I’ve found a few, but would value your opinion on which are better?

These are the settings I like, although I might buy a really cheap pair to practice with first.

B8B9F6C6-2660-4FDD-95BD-C2123D15CF06.jpeg

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yessss! yay @Austina !

and i hope you all will indulge me in some more pics. i'm tickled pink! (terrible pun, sorry). the tourmaline is a little moody...mostly a light pink, sometimes a touch salmon and sometimes a tad purple.

pretty stone deserving of a rose gold setting but that's so far down the priority list...this makes a nice home for now.

P1030445.JPG P1030431.JPG P1030439.JPG P1030442.JPG

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Austina i just saw the 2nd half of your post....

i think any small pliers could work but as mentioned i broke many prongs at first so these prong/setting pliers have helped. they a groove on one side which helps you grip the prong.

the other two tools to the left are a burnisher and a prong pusher. after trying to learn this on my own and ruining the first few settings i took a class earlier this year and the instructor said she always keeps tape on her prong pusher to cut down on the risk of scratching the stone, hence the tape. the burnisher you can use to make small adjustments or smooth out rough spots.

each of these tools was less than $5. i got the settings from rio grande or ebay and they were all prenotched & ranged from $3-30.

lots of videos on youtube as well which are helpful but imho they make it look easier than it is! best of luck!!

P1030447.jpg

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Bumping this thread. What type of glue do you use for cabs? E-6000? I would love to set a star gem.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread. What type of glue do you use for cabs? E-6000? I would love to set a star gem.
No glue! Glue is for costume jewelry.
Prongs or bezel set only.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just realised I didn’t come back and update, I did buy the earring mounts and the OEC CZ, I’ll dig them out tomorrow and take photos.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
Maybe pink tourmaline earrings? Screenshot_20210222-184604_Etsy.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results