shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your M color diamonds (bonus if they are new cuts not omc)

Mrsdimps

Rough_Rock
First post but I’ve been researching so much lately!

I am looking for a diamond to replace my cluster in my e ring. I started off thinking .5 ct would be enough until I found this .75 ct that I can’t stop thinking about. It’s an M but all other specs look good to me. I asked them about it and they said it’s eye clear, excellent luster and no milkiness.

I like the idea of omc but I haven’t been able to find any that are similar size/decent clarity.

My mom has a 1ct that was appraised as an L and I love it. I never would’ve known that it wasn’t lovely white. I like the idea of warmth (and it will be going into a yellow gold setting) but I don’t want it to just look dirty. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Mine is an M! It is 2.01 ct, SI2 (thought it was an SI1, but it is indeed SI2.)

It is vintage, but not OMC, it is round brilliant, but "early" - mid century...one appraiser also called it a transitional, but it doesn't have facet patterns like other transitionals I see. I got it from Ivy & Rose and they have a large range of lower colored or vintage diamonds.

I didn't care about perfect hearts and arrows or anything like that, and have more tolerance to inclusions than many other PSers. I wanted an M or lower color, and vintage stone because I find them charming. I LOVE the light buttery warmth! In some lights it is ivory, in others a very light buttery color - but not bright white. I set mine in unplated white gold which seemed to strike a perfect balance with the color for me - I didn't want the stone to look yellow (as to me, yellow gold plays up the color / enhances), but I wanted the warmth the show and didn't like platinum / palladium with the stone as it washed it out.

Good luck on your search!

IMG-2178.jpg

Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
hello fellow aussie, and only assuming that as your link to the oval is in sydney.

I am not an oval person, but it looks good. The facets look crisps and they turn on and off as the diamond turns. Although, i am skeptical of the lighting they used to produce the 360 imaging. i think there is lighting in front and behind the diamond, which will give the stone a bright look. It may be a bright stone, but you would want an ASET Image to determine the brightness of the stone. ASET is something that is a helpful tool to view fancy shaped stones online. But, not a lot of diamond dealers in AUS, know about ASETs. OR, you can use your own eyes, when you see it at the store, to confirm the brightness.

I have an O coloured OEC, which i love, and there is a definite yellow colour/ tint, a lot more than what your stone is. ONe thing that you need to be aware of is that whilst it has a yellow tint to it, in some lighting, there may be an ever so slight greyness to it. WIth a medium fluor, it doenst have a detrimental effect on the stone- the milkiness. But it could throw a bit more blue grey in certain lighting. That may not be the case, it all depends on how the stone performs. It is all about the lighting condition that you are viewing it in.

In the sun, most flour stones will see a slight blue/ grey tint that is quite phenomenal. Or using a UV light (think night club), you will def see the stone glow. With the M (slightly yellow) coloured stone, you may or may not see the stone go slightly bluer. just playing with colours here... it is a yelow tinted stone the blue/grey of the flour may make the stone ever so slightly grey/green in those UV lighting conditions.

It is great that you are going with a YG setting, as that will def play on the colour of the stone. Some might suggest cupping it- a yellow gold cup around the pavillion to enhance the yellow-ness. However, that could present with cleaning issues. ie more cleaning is required as dirt will get trapped in the cup area.

Are you able to see this stone in person?

Mrsdimps

Rough_Rock
hello fellow aussie, and only assuming that as your link to the oval is in sydney.

I am not an oval person, but it looks good. The facets look crisps and they turn on and off as the diamond turns. Although, i am skeptical of the lighting they used to produce the 360 imaging. i think there is lighting in front and behind the diamond, which will give the stone a bright look. It may be a bright stone, but you would want an ASET Image to determine the brightness of the stone. ASET is something that is a helpful tool to view fancy shaped stones online. But, not a lot of diamond dealers in AUS, know about ASETs. OR, you can use your own eyes, when you see it at the store, to confirm the brightness.

I have an O coloured OEC, which i love, and there is a definite yellow colour/ tint, a lot more than what your stone is. ONe thing that you need to be aware of is that whilst it has a yellow tint to it, in some lighting, there may be an ever so slight greyness to it. WIth a medium fluor, it doenst have a detrimental effect on the stone- the milkiness. But it could throw a bit more blue grey in certain lighting. That may not be the case, it all depends on how the stone performs. It is all about the lighting condition that you are viewing it in.

In the sun, most flour stones will see a slight blue/ grey tint that is quite phenomenal. Or using a UV light (think night club), you will def see the stone glow. With the M (slightly yellow) coloured stone, you may or may not see the stone go slightly bluer. just playing with colours here... it is a yelow tinted stone the blue/grey of the flour may make the stone ever so slightly grey/green in those UV lighting conditions.

It is great that you are going with a YG setting, as that will def play on the colour of the stone. Some might suggest cupping it- a yellow gold cup around the pavillion to enhance the yellow-ness. However, that could present with cleaning issues. ie more cleaning is required as dirt will get trapped in the cup area.

Are you able to see this stone in person?

Thanks for your reply! I'm not able to see it in person unfortunately, I'm in Brisbane. I've enquired to them about it which is when they said it has good luster and no milkiness. They also recommended other stones but for some reason I keep coming back to this one. I feel that just in general they try to steer you away from lower colours. The other one they mainly recommended is this one: https://www.gsdiamonds.com.au/diamonds/product/10WE-1398816_1535561

It is just such a big decision :oops2:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i am not sure of the second one. It has what is called a bowtie- it is the slightly dark bit in the middle of teh stone. Marquis, ovals have this phenomenon. Some cutters can minimise this and most cannot. The first one doesnt seem to have a bow tie, but it is all about the lighting and the camera angle.

Diamond colour is all subjective. if you like the M, go for the M, if you like the K, go for the K. etc. Yes, in AUS and like most places they will steer you towards the colourless range. But that comes at a $.

It is about what stone sings to you when you view it. ANd, sometimes it is about the compromise of the 4 C's.

Is there a return period?
are you dealing with them to make the jewelry piece?

WHen buying on line, i think it is important to be able to view the stone to inspect it... that way you can get a feel for the stone. If you do not like it, then you can return it. so do ask that question. HOWever, to be careful.. once you parted with your money, it is unlikely that they will give you a refund. they will most likely steer you to make another purchse of a differnt diamond. SO, these would be the questions to ask.

WIth these 2 diamonds that you have showed, i would choose the M as it doenst seem to have the bow tie....

Mrsdimps

Rough_Rock
i am not sure of the second one. It has what is called a bowtie- it is the slightly dark bit in the middle of teh stone. Marquis, ovals have this phenomenon. Some cutters can minimise this and most cannot. The first one doesnt seem to have a bow tie, but it is all about the lighting and the camera angle.

Diamond colour is all subjective. if you like the M, go for the M, if you like the K, go for the K. etc. Yes, in AUS and like most places they will steer you towards the colourless range. But that comes at a $.

It is about what stone sings to you when you view it. ANd, sometimes it is about the compromise of the 4 C's.

Is there a return period?
are you dealing with them to make the jewelry piece?

WHen buying on line, i think it is important to be able to view the stone to inspect it... that way you can get a feel for the stone. If you do not like it, then you can return it. so do ask that question. HOWever, to be careful.. once you parted with your money, it is unlikely that they will give you a refund. they will most likely steer you to make another purchse of a differnt diamond. SO, these would be the questions to ask.

WIth these 2 diamonds that you have showed, i would choose the M as it doenst seem to have the bow tie....

Those were my thoughts too. I thought the second one had a noticeable bow tie whereas the M doesn't (or it just doesn't show it as much). The second one also isn't as good of a cut/ symmetry.

No, I am putting the stone into my existing setting with a local-ish jeweller who has done a few pieces for family and friends.

Also, out of curiosity, why is a brown tint considered worse than slightly yellow. There is another stone, J colour but it has a slight brown tinge. They flat out said do not buy it, not recommended. I think it doesn't look too bad because it is whiter but just has a slight bit of brown warmth. I'm probably missing something though.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Brown is not a favoured colour in secondary modifiers of stones. Even in fancy colours, brown tints will be cheaper in price. As to the reason- not sure.... maybe to them/ the stone may look dirtier???? Or it’s more common modifier Of stones and therefore cheaper. Supply and demand kinda thing.

if you like brown, then its a great deal.

horses for courses...

majority of vendors do not like Fluor in stones and priced accordingly. I like flour... and a few of my pieces have it. I specifically chose a set of earrings woth Fluor in it

you like what you like. And if it is Cheaper/ bonus.

Last edited:

Mrsdimps

Rough_Rock
Brown is not a favoured colour in secondary modifiers of stones. Even in fancy colours, brown tints will be cheaper in price. As to the reason- not sure.... maybe to them/ the stone may look dirtier???? Or it’s more common modifier Of stones and therefore cheaper. Supply and demand kinda thing.
if you like brown, then its a great deal.

horses for courses...

majority of vendors do not like Fluor in stones and priced accordingly. I like flour... and a few of my pieces have it. I specifically chose a set of earrings woth Fluor in it

you like what you like. And if it is Cheaper/ bonus.

I quite like the brown tint but it feels less safe.

The quality of the M overall is better and that’s the one I have kept going back to over the last couple weeks. I think I’m going to go with that one and hopefully won’t look back!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I quite like brown modifiers too and think it could look lovely with yellow gold! I don’t know much about ovals but I think the favorite would be my pick even just based on cut alone. The 2nd one - that bow tie would drive me batty!

good luck!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
based on the 3 that you have shown, i think the M is the better one.

when it is in your hands, you can assess it with your own eyes what the stone looks like to you. how bright it is. how does it perfrom in the office lighting, in the home- kitchen, laundry etc.. and of course outside.

if you have an ASET, check the light return on that. if you dont have one, Garry in melbourne sells them. you can search on this site. sometimes, there is an advertising banner for it. it would be a good investment for fancy cuts. or, you can use your eyes and what your gut tells you. you like what you like. you wil have the stone in your hand to assess it.

pls check the return policy on it..if you dont like it you may have to pay for shipping and maybe a restocking fee.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes stones in lower color will face up whiter if they have brown undertones. I've seen a lot of examples in this with antique stones especially...so it's actually better to have brown than yellow undertones.

This seems like a good article explaining it: https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/diamond-color-undertones

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I came back to just look at your first pick again, the M, and I think it is very lovely!

Mrsdimps

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for sharing your photos and input! It has really helped.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I have an M (although it is an OEC) in a platinum Victor Canera setting and love it. I've thought about upgrading to bigger and whiter from time to time, but always back off. In some light it looks super white and in some it's, not really yellow, but warm-- definitely way more of a chameleon than my original e-ring (Tiffany Legacy), but somehow has more personality. Truthfully, if there are any lighting conditions where I don't think it looks great, they're the same ones where I don't love my Legacy, which is an F.

My photography is terrible, but I've tried to give you some showing it in different lights. The last one is under a tree, which is the most yellow it looks.

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.53.51.png Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.46.23.png Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.51.37.png
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 13.13.43.png

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@Mrsdimps have you pulled the trigger???? hehehe.. waiting.. waiting... LOLOLOL

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an M (although it is an OEC) in a platinum Victor Canera setting and love it. I've thought about upgrading to bigger and whiter from time to time, but always back off. In some light it looks super white and in some it's, not really yellow, but warm-- definitely way more of a chameleon than my original e-ring (Tiffany Legacy), but somehow has more personality. Truthfully, if there are any lighting conditions where I don't think it looks great, they're the same ones where I don't love my Legacy, which is an F.

My photography is terrible, but I've tried to give you some showing it in different lights. The last one is under a tree, which is the most yellow it looks.

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.53.51.png Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.46.23.png Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.51.37.png

This is just gorgeous! I have to say this is one of my all-time favorite types of ring - a warm OEC or antique cushion in a crisp white halo. I have a halo ring in white gold that currently has an AGS 000 G modern H&A that has perfect angles, and it's lovely and all, but I'm utterly yearning to find a warm OEC - especially an AVR or CER! - to put in it instead for that scrumptious subtle contrast. *sigh*

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That’s superb!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wondering if you ever got your stone?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My M oval :D
IMG_3638.JPG IMG_1678.JPG

Such a cool piece you have now! I absolutely adore that chunky yellow gold setting! If you've read any of my other posts you'll also know I am a sucker for any kind of bezel! Just dreamy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results