shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your green stones in different color metals!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I have a small Tan tsavorite that I really want to set as part of a set of stackers someday when I get the money. Given the part where I seem to just keep on buying stones, this may never happen, but in the meantime I can dream, can't I? :) So one of the things I'm dreaming about is what metal to use. natsplat's lovely rose gold engagement ring was making me lean towards rose gold, but then I was thinking my stone has got a window and so I should really try to use a neutral color like silver or white gold... But anyway. Really I'd like to see your green stones in yellow, rose, white, green gold, silver, etc. if you have them! Thanks!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Emerald in yellow gold
kiz-asemerald3.jpg

Same emerald in white gold
kiz-emeraldring1.jpg

Emerald in yellow gold
kiz-snakering1.jpg

light green chrysoberyl in platinum
kiz-chrysoring4.jpg

mint green chrysoberyl in rose gold
kiz-asring1.jpg

demantoid in platinum and demantoid in rose gold
kiz-bothdemantoid2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The metal colour doesn't play much of a role when trying to minimize the appearance of a gemstone's window; the design of the setting plays a greater role. A silver or white coloured metal will only highlight any grayness or lack of saturation in a warmish toned gemstone. If you feel your tsavorite is windowed, an enclosed type setting (halo or bezel) will help close it a little. Yellow or rose gold will more than likely enhance the colour.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Kismet, I loooove your rings! I especially love the emerald and diamond in yellow gold... wow. The yellow gold ones in general seem to really make the green pop! Thank you so much!

Chrono, thanks! I see what you mean... I guess I was thinking also though that there would be some reflection from the bottom of the setting if there was a window, and maybe the metal color could "muddy" the color of the stone a little. Sort of like in Kismet's rose gold demantoid, you can see some rose reflections in the stone. Though of course there I think it just makes it look more beautiful... I guess I just don't understand how windows and reflections interact (as i've said, I haven't set a whole bunch of stones).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet - this is your vanadium chrysoberyl, right? Beautiful stone.
And it seems that white gold works better for (some) demantoids...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Here are mine...

Tsavorite in two-tone (14k YG and silver):
il_570xN.244687004.jpg

Green color-shift sapphire in two-tone (14k RG and silver):
sapphring1.jpg

Prasiolite in two-tone (18k green gold and silver):
prasring1-1.jpg

Tsavorite in silver:
jstar-key1.jpg

Tsavorite in silver:
jstar-tsav2.jpg

Demantoid in unplated 14k WG bezel, silver band:
jstar-6664.jpg

Alexandrite (green daylight color, and please try to ignore the giant window!) in 14k WG:
3773-1-lg.jpg

Mali garnet in 14k WG; Merelani mint garnet in two-tone (14k YG shank, WG head):
179884_747991616784_14300210_40741231_3955356_n.jpg

tsav-tourm2.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the shade of green. Emeralds i think look best in rich yellow, but more minty or appley stones l love in rose. Also, there are peachy rose golds and pinky rose golds, which can give another look too (mine is a more peachy rose gold, at my request). I would choose white gold or silver last, purely because of the greying possibility chrono spoke of. But, as crasu says, strong dementoids can hold their own whatever the colour metal, and would look gorgeous jn wg. Also you can bezel in gold and band in silver, for example. So many possibilities! Keep us updated please :twirl:

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Oh jstarfireb, how beautiful! That tsavorite in particular is to die for, but they are all so beautiful! Which is your favorite?

Thanks natsplat! With gold the way it is, it might take me a while, but I'm saving up my pennies :)

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
I like lighter/brighter greens in rose gold and bolder/darker greens in white metal -- here are photos of the four green garnets that I've had set. Necklaces: the dark green tsavorite is in a platinum LM necklace, the bright green garnet JKT necklace is 14k wg/rg. The darker green necklace looks much nicer in person and doesn't have the olivey shades that show up in the pictures.
Rings: The emerald cut tsavorite is in a platinum ring, the cushion cut lighter green garnet is in a 18k rose gold/white gold ring. The Julia Kay Taylor necklace is my current favorite -- the rose gold makes the garnet really stand out. Both the ring and necklace with rose gold have a rose gold bezel around the center stone and RG accents, but everything else is in white gold since rose gold doesn't look great with my skin tone.

tsavvy_ggs1.jpg

tsavvy_ggs2.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have a green tourmaline from Dana at Mastercutgems that I had JKT set in green gold :tongue: I'm not sure if the pictures really capatured the green gold but I really like the effect in RL.

Attachments

• Green.bmp
    417.2 KB · Views: 1,038
  • green2.bmp
    461.8 KB · Views: 1,035

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! The first tsavorite is my favorite too.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This was a great thread idea--thanks! Definitely helpful to see greens in different metals. I set an emerald in a WG setting which did not suit it at all, unfortunately, and have been thinking about a reset ever since the day I got it back from the jewelers.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
tsavvy, oh wow. I love that emerald tsavorite, too, it's so saturated that the platinum seems to bring it out. Hm, that's a good point about rose gold and skin. I suspect rose gold might not look great against my skin either -- I'll have to check it out.

Sarahbear, GREEN gold! Wow! I love different colors of gold!

IndyLady, what did you not like about your WG setting?

I am so loving all these pics! Thanks!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Emeralds gypsy set in yellow gold.

IMG_5592.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my pieces of green jewelry. I have a small EC emerald ring in YG but I am not finding my picture of it right now.

tsavreflect2.jpg

greensapring2.gif

grengarnet.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results