shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your garnets!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My four carat Nigerian mandarin spessartite I got a long time ago. It's eye clean, but it's really dirty in this picture.

TLmandarinspess.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 9:32:59 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Thank you, MTG. What a great thread. I am a relatively recent convert to garnets, but I''m head over heels in love with them. Looking forward to more beautiful pictures.
36.gif
I live to spread the word! I think garnets are great since they come in so many colors, are fairly durable and affordable, and so very sparkly! :) I''m personally really falling for the pink-peachy malayas...must...buy...more. They get scooped up so fast!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My round BB Malaya

TLBBMalaya.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 9:38:30 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Thank you, MTG. What a great thread. I am a relatively recent convert to garnets, but I''m head over heels in love with them. Looking forward to more beautiful pictures.
36.gif
I live to spread the word! I think garnets are great since they come in so many colors, are fairly durable and affordable, and so very sparkly! :) I''m personally really falling for the pink-peachy malayas...must...buy...more. They get scooped up so fast!
The best garnets in grossular, mandarin spessartite and demantoid are not affordable though. It''s a misconception that garnets are cheap. Some can cost as much as a car!!
9.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 9:20:26 PM

Date: 4/17/2009 9:18:30 PM
Author: icekid
I have a new spess, too and I am in luuuuuuuv. Working on photos
9.gif
OOOo...share share!

Loriken, so YOU''RE the one who scooped up that malaya from Gene, I''m so jealous!
Yep, it was me MTG....I''ve searched for this color garnet for ages and always miss out! This is a little one, but I''m very happy to have a malaya at all! Let Gene know you''re interested and he''ll cut one for you.
9.gif

Lori

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Thank you, MTG. What a great thread. I am a relatively recent convert to garnets, but I'm head over heels in love with them. Looking forward to more beautiful pictures.
36.gif
I live to spread the word! I think garnets are great since they come in so many colors, are fairly durable and affordable, and so very sparkly! :) I'm personally really falling for the pink-peachy malayas...must...buy...more. They get scooped up so fast!
So true! I'm loving the pinky, red umbalites. Others go for the greens, or the oranges. Many (but not all, of course) are extremely affordable, as well as beautiful to look at. Right now I'm waiting for the right color change garnet to come along.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 9:33:34 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
My 9mm green grossular - have to figure out what setting I''m going to use for it. In the upper left hand corner is part of my apple green sphene.

OOOOOO TL....can you PLEASE post a photo of your green pretties, PLEASE!
36.gif

ETA: Can you please post a photo of your entire collection? Do you already have one posted someplace?

Lori

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 9:41:32 PM

36.gif
The best garnets in grossular, mandarin spessartite and demantoid are not affordable though. It''s a misconception that garnets are cheap. Some can cost as much as a car!!
9.gif
Lovely stones, TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 9:44:32 PM
Author: loriken214

Date: 4/17/2009 9:33:34 PM
My 9mm green grossular - have to figure out what setting I''m going to use for it. In the upper left hand corner is part of my apple green sphene.

OOOOOO TL....can you PLEASE post a photo of your green pretties, PLEASE!
36.gif

ETA: Can you please post a photo of your entire collection? Do you already have one posted someplace?

Lori
I don''t think I could get my whole collection in one camera shot, and my camera is pitiful. I keep telling myself I''m going to get a new camera and a tripod, but then I go and buy another gem or an LOGR.
20.gif

Thanks Lori - you''re very sweet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 9:46:47 PM
Lovely stones, TL!
Thank you FlyGirl!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 9:41:32 PM

Thank you, MTG. What a great thread. I am a relatively recent convert to garnets, but I'm head over heels in love with them. Looking forward to more beautiful pictures.
36.gif

I live to spread the word! I think garnets are great since they come in so many colors, are fairly durable and affordable, and so very sparkly! :) I'm personally really falling for the pink-peachy malayas...must...buy...more. They get scooped up so fast!

The best garnets in grossular, mandarin spessartite and demantoid are not affordable though. It's a misconception that garnets are cheap. Some can cost as much as a car!!
9.gif

Haha, I should have clarified, in comparison to the "standard" precious stones of diamond, ruby, emerald, sapphire. Of course, there are really expensive garnets out there, the best specimens of almost any gem species get pretty pricey. But in general, it's probably more affordable to buy a quality tsav than a quality emerald, lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Russian and Namibian demantoids. These are much more beautiful and very very dispersive IRL. The Nambian is a lovely green, but my camera killed the color. The Russian (smaller round) is diamond cut, and I had it in a ring for a couple of years, but took it out because the white gold wasn''t doing anything for it. I have to reset it one of these days.

TLdemantoids.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 9:54:01 PM

Haha, I should have clarified, in comparison to the ''standard'' precious stones of diamond, ruby, emerald, sapphire. Of course, there are really expensive garnets out there, the best specimens of almost any gem species get pretty pricey. But in general, it''s probably more affordable to buy a quality tsav than a quality emerald, lol.
A top top quality emerald with no treatment or only minor treatment will probably be more expensive than a top top tsavorite of the same size. Although tsavorite prices jump exponentially with each half carat above 2 carats. They tend to be small gems.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ceteris paribus, a tsavorite costs about 1/4 what an emerald costs. The former is also much rarer. I''d like to collect the latter as well, but am in no hurry as there''s no shortage.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love garnets and enjoyed all the great photos here. I would enjoy seeing Mr. Zeolite''s collection IRL. PRETTY.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 10:25:11 PM
Author: Harriet
Ceteris paribus, a tsavorite costs about 1/4 what an emerald costs. The former is also much rarer. I''d like to collect the latter as well, but am in no hurry as there''s no shortage.
Good points, H! I like them both. Even though tsav has been seen as a "replacement" for emerald, I find them to be such different stones.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 10:28:00 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
My tsavorite
Oooh I don''t recall such a detailed shot of your tsav before- the color is fabulous.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks icekid, it is one of my favorite stones.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deservedly so.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My older Tsavorite. Excuse the size of the picture.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
How many do you have????

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 10:28:00 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
My tsavorite

mictav2.JPG

IMG_0744e.jpg
You can see the blue undertone in the second picture.
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone,
Please don''t get overly excited but I will attempt to take a picture of my spess next weekend.
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 11:28:53 PM
Author: Chrono
Everyone,
Please don't get overly excited but I will attempt to take a picture of my spess next weekend.
2.gif
You mean this one? I better get ready for those sunglasses!! Don't forget to take pictures of the latest tsavorite (if you decide to keep it).
9.gif

Chronogarnet.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
My My 2.33 Morogoro Garnet from Rick at Art cut gems.
I was a little flat about it as Sally from Heart of Water is setting it said it has lots of extinction and is definitely NOT a night time stone. But she just emailed me to tell me that in daylight it is magical.

kateebagp3.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
This thread is timely... well, I''m not sure I''ll be buying for a while, but it is marvellous to ''lurk''... been thinking that a garnet might be my next purchase in the ''special treat department'' ...
1.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 11:28:53 PM
Author: Chrono
Everyone,

Please don''t get overly excited but I will attempt to take a picture of my spess next weekend.
2.gif

Is that one TL put up the garnet!!! I will need to have eye protection for that stone
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results