carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Diamond Studs!

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They say the La Pousette backs are more secure..I don’t know. I just looked at my smaller studs and they have the jumbo backs
like yours. I just tried the LP backs on the larger pair and now they’re catching..Maybe the spring inside got stuck. I don’t know what I would do with yours @MrsKBP Be very careful with scarves. I lost one of my smaller studs because my scarf got caught in the back of the earring and pulled it off. I actually retraced my steps and found it! The LP has two notches that protect it from pulling away from the post..You would need a different post though because they’re not interchangeable.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
They say the La Pousette backs are more secure..I don’t know. I just looked at my smaller studs and they have the jumbo backs
like yours. I just tried the LP backs on the larger pair and now they’re catching..Maybe the spring inside got stuck. I don’t know what I would do with yours @MrsKBP Be very careful with scarves. I lost one of my smaller studs because my scarf got caught in the back of the earring and pulled it off. I actually retraced my steps and found it! The LP has two notches that protect it from pulling away from the post..You would need a different post though because they’re not interchangeable.

Do the La Pousette screw on? I'll talk to our jeweler about the option to change and what he thinks and let ya know!

I have lost so much jewelry over the years. It makes me totally paranoid now!

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
C1FC4698-B937-46CC-AEA5-68F1CD917D29.jpeg C000A537-5C54-4B7A-8391-8A55848C8A31.jpeg 14DB251D-5CA8-4B8D-AC7B-9E312C555D71.jpeg
Okay, here are the backs! Not the best photo; sorry these are off my phone in my office!

These are my first studs so am pretty clueless. My daughter has .50 ctw studs and they have tiny little screws. Mine don't screw on and at first I was going to change them to screws however...I tried to sleep with my earrings on and they're too big to do so, they poked my ears! So I'm glad I can easily take them on and off. With that being said, my husband knows I tend to "lose" things and thinks I should redo with the screws. Anyone have feedback on the options? I think it's odd that my daughter's petite studs have the screws and mine don't....any reason that anyone can give? I guess I could always ask my jeweler as well!

Although these don't screw on, they feel very secure and I have so far not been "afraid".

I’ve read many people being irritated by the screws. For one thing, they are quite difficult to take on and off. For another, they can strip with time. Finally, some consider them uncomfortable.

As for the pousettes, they’re technically supposed to be the most secure. One jeweler, however, told me that they should be replaced every so often as they can loosen with time, and that terrified me. Basically, they’re solid, until they’re not. Then they might fall off... :eek2:

The jumbos are great because they also bolster the back of the earrings so that the studs don’t droop. For extra assurance, you could also add a cheap plastic backing behind the jumbo backing if you are paranoid like me.

upload_2018-10-30_15-34-1.jpeg

upload_2018-10-30_15-34-54.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do the La Pousette screw on? I'll talk to our jeweler about the option to change and what he thinks and let ya know!

I have lost so much jewelry over the years. It makes me totally paranoid now!
No..They don’t screw on. I don’t like the screw on backs either..The LP backs have a button that you push in on each side simultaneously to put them on and off. I think mine are starting to fail which is why mine were sliding off and not catching on the grooves on the post. For whatever reason it started working again..I just called a jeweler and they said they could remove the post and give me new posts so I can get the jumbo backs instead. I’m not sure what to do yet. I may order a new set of platinum LP backs first. I do use a little plastic disk that I put on before the back to keep the stud upright..They are also an extra measure of security because they go flat against your ear. Mine are flat circles..not like the plastic ones like @ice empress posted. That would also work..but I don’t know if they would work on my posts.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
C1FC4698-B937-46CC-AEA5-68F1CD917D29.jpeg C000A537-5C54-4B7A-8391-8A55848C8A31.jpeg 14DB251D-5CA8-4B8D-AC7B-9E312C555D71.jpeg
Okay, here are the backs! Not the best photo; sorry these are off my phone in my office!

These are my first studs so am pretty clueless. My daughter has .50 ctw studs and they have tiny little screws. Mine don't screw on and at first I was going to change them to screws however...I tried to sleep with my earrings on and they're too big to do so, they poked my ears! So I'm glad I can easily take them on and off. With that being said, my husband knows I tend to "lose" things and thinks I should redo with the screws. Anyone have feedback on the options? I think it's odd that my daughter's petite studs have the screws and mine don't....any reason that anyone can give? I guess I could always ask my jeweler as well!

Although these don't screw on, they feel very secure and I have so far not been "afraid".
They are sooooo pretty! I know you will enjoy them! Happy Anniversary!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Be still my heart!!!!!!

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
D569815A-0D4C-4FD6-B5C7-E9E277921E1D.jpeg 25BCADB4-F2B4-4BFB-AF73-2EE5A3649469.jpeg 0A21C9BB-3A9E-42EE-8831-C823F2CC0577.jpeg

2.52 ct, H, VS1, square emerald
2.45 ct, H, VS1, square emerald

It’s hard to capture these earrings! I posted a photo of the earrings next to my engagement ring for a sense of scale. My center stone is 6.33 ct, H, VS2.

I feel sad for my other earrings because I have not worn anything but these gorgeous studs since getting them!!! I think they’re just right size and am definitely glad my husband didn’t go smaller or even larger! They were the most perfect anniversary gift from my sweet man.

I missed your original post... all I have to say is your studs are positively incredible!! What an amazing present!

And your ER. Wow! Drop dead gorgeous! :kiss2:

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I’ve read many people being irritated by the screws. For one thing, they are quite difficult to take on and off. For another, they can strip with time. Finally, some consider them uncomfortable.

As for the pousettes, they’re technically supposed to be the most secure. One jeweler, however, told me that they should be replaced every so often as they can loosen with time, and that terrified me. Basically, they’re solid, until they’re not. Then they might fall off... :eek2:

Gasp! This would be me for sure.

The jumbos are great because they also bolster the back of the earrings so that the studs don’t droop. For extra assurance, you could also add a cheap plastic backing behind the jumbo backing if you are paranoid like me.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
1A67307B-A0DC-4092-A2CB-3830A68F5DDF.jpeg E1C8F0F9-C8B0-4643-8C18-01FA80835A1D.jpeg
So far I like my jumbo backs! They’re very comfortable and I have never feared of them falling off. I have yet to wear another pair of earrings after getting these. I just love them. I did tell my husband I’d love to have a drop style jacket made for them as a fun way to still wear them but also have them be fashion forward. I’m thinking a big chunky irregular shaped freshwater pearls. Has anyone done anything similar?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
1A67307B-A0DC-4092-A2CB-3830A68F5DDF.jpeg E1C8F0F9-C8B0-4643-8C18-01FA80835A1D.jpeg
So far I like my jumbo backs! They’re very comfortable and I have never feared of them falling off. I have yet to wear another pair of earrings after getting these. I just love them. I did tell my husband I’d love to have a drop style jacket made for them as a fun way to still wear them but also have them be fashion forward. I’m thinking a big chunky irregular shaped freshwater pearls. Has anyone done anything similar?

They’re gorgeous! I have the jumbo backs for other earrings and I love them. My guardian backs for my larger studs are working again so don’t know what happened there. I like the added security of the plastic flat disks I put on before my backs.They have a tiny hole in the center so they make me feel like the stud is safer. I bought them on Amazon to keep the stud upright so they don’t tilt and I found they gave me peace of mind that they were also keeping my stud in more securely.
I’ve seen drop gemstones and pearls on here..but I don’t remember if there were anything other than drops on round brilliants. If you search earring jackets or earring drops they may pop up. I think they would look amazing with a drop pearl..

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

May I ask where you get these plastic backings from pls, @ice empress?

AV_

Ideal_Rock

ice empress

Shiny_Rock

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are my new Forevermark studs, 1.13 carats each (2.26 total). Happy 10th anniversary to me!!!
315C4207-600F-4102-A328-70DE73307E68.jpeg CD94C9B9-DA62-4EBD-965E-E6FE3FCAFAFC.jpeg 435AD559-FCD6-4FB5-A09F-8280B10FDE90.jpeg
Beautiful! They look huge and very sparkly! Happy Anniversary!

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
2169E561-A6EB-4F25-B0F6-65C0B86A6409.jpeg 0D83A65A-7BA9-42F6-AC83-07881C2A7528.jpeg My little dragonfly studs in 18k with mother of pearl and teeny tiny pave diamonds

Love. I don’t know if you follow this or not. Meghan Markle just toured Australia. She wore Princess Diana’s butterfly earrings. They, like yours, are so lovely. I adore insect and bug earrings! Also love oyster pearl & fruit type jewelry. We all have things we are drawn to.

Last edited:

EllenS1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love. I don’t know if you follow this or not. Meghan Markle just toured Australia. She wore Princess Diana’s butterfly earrings. They, like yours, are so lovely. I adore insect and bug earrings! Also love oyster pearl & fruit type jewelry. We all have things we are drawn to.
Love insect jewelry! Thanks MrsKBP:D

B1999

Rough_Rock
This is sorta interesting. Left is .72 carat F color SI1, excellent cut (not graded). Right is 1.13 carat H color SI1, triple X (GIA). The larger pair was double the cost of the smaller pair. Yikes!
AB3F00DC-BF23-4F89-ADF1-E9F4212CF792.jpeg

B1999

Rough_Rock
Captain Post Too Much here again. I just got my earrings back from being set in this six prong setting (the top four prong setting was just temporary), and I swear there’s less light leakage from the sides, making the stones more fiery. Is that a thing?
50EE24FB-DA00-451C-AA9D-1C54B641E233.jpeg
13AEB205-DD27-431B-ACA9-4DFC173EA127.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
10880127-9E6D-4B37-A45E-BD821173B33B.jpeg
I can’t believe how small my earrings look on my ears..They’re 1.51 & 1.53 G color VVS2 Ideal cut....I used to think they were too big but after seeing them in a photo they don’t look big at all! It’s amazing how different the sizes look on everyone. These would hang off my daughter-in-law’s ears because she has dainty earlobes..I have excess real estate on mine!
Sorry the photo is so big! How do I decrease the size?!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@MrsKBP Your earrings are gorgeous and so are you! ::)

Re. Safety: your jumbo backs are large in diameter, but the butterfly “handles” and the “plate” are relatively thin sheets of metal. I recognize the style - I have several pairs of backings like that myself ::)

I actually hate screwbacks - I, like you, have long hair, and I’ve had them catch and unwind over the day... and the “plates” on spring lock earnuts aren’t wide enough in diameter to support the weight of studs this big.

There is an alternate type of jumbo back: same diameter, uglier design, but thicker metal (bottom/left in pic) - this style grips the post like a vice. I use them with 2.7ct each RB studs and I swear by them. Most jewellers err toward the prettier (thinner) jumbo backs, but would easily be able to source a pair of these heftier ones if interested :))

8F4D425E-BD10-441A-B22F-3B23EDFA3C8E.jpeg

Last edited:

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
I looked through every page of this thread while trying to decide what kind of studs to buy, so here is my contribution: Brian Gavin Signature .49 ctw D SI-1 diamond studs in white gold handmade bezels with friction backs.

First, the BGD glamour shots. Delicious! I was a bit worried that the diamonds looked deep in the bezel, but that's a result of the magnification. In real life, it's not an issue at all.
BrianGavin_Bezels_Dorothy1b_120518.jpg BrianGavin_Bezels_Dorothy2b_120518.jpg

The BG diamonds are incredibly sparkly! Pictured here with my new (to me) Cartier Diamante Legere LM necklace that I wear daily (the diamond is only .18 but the triple bezel gives it more presence). Honestly, the Cartier diamond is vastly out-sparkled by the earrings. I'm considering selling the Cartier for a BGD plain Barbara pendant with a .34 ct D SI-1 diamond. But selling is a hassle and I do like the Cartier as a whole (the chain, bezel, and tag). Hmmm...
DSCF8143.jpg DSCF8148.jpg

Here are some perspective shots. I'm very satisfied with the size.
DSCF8154.jpg DSCF8163.jpg

My backstory, if anyone is interested. I'd never owned real diamond studs before, wearing only CZ studs from Nordstrom. For my upcoming 15th anniversary in the spring, I started considering a pair of 1 ctw martini studs from Whiteflash or BGD.

While visiting NYC last month, I tried on some options at IDJ, but wasn't feeling it. At Tiffany's later that day, out of curiosity I asked to see what I could get in my price-range from the DBTY line. The SA pulled out a .38 ctw E VS pair (holy markup!). I immediately thought the size was way too small, but tried them on at his urging. Surprisingly, I loved the look. Dainty and subtle but sparkly and bigger than I expected. Also, perfectly proportional with my necklace.

I soon bought a pair of .50 ctw bezel CZ studs from Nordstrom as a trial run and decided that's what I wanted (convenient, since now I can put my anniversary funds to another use - a custom project with Maytal Hannah :))). During BGD's Black Friday sale, I bought these earrings for less than half the cost of the pair at Tiffany. I also considered a pair of H VS-1, since I know D is overkill for small studs, but the premium for the Ds was not much due to the clarity (but they are eye-clean). I'm super happy with my choice! My plan is to pass the earring and necklace set on to my (now 2 year old) daughter on her 18th or 21st birthday. By then, I figure I'll be ready to move up to .6 - .8 ct/each. :)

BGD customer service was excellent (Emily assisted me over web chat and email) and I received the package just under 2 weeks after ordering.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked through every page of this thread while trying to decide what kind of studs to buy, so here is my contribution: Brian Gavin Signature .49 ctw D SI-1 diamond studs in white gold handmade bezels with friction backs.

First, the BGD glamour shots. Delicious! I was a bit worried that the diamonds looked deep in the bezel, but that's a result of the magnification. In real life, it's not an issue at all.
BrianGavin_Bezels_Dorothy1b_120518.jpg BrianGavin_Bezels_Dorothy2b_120518.jpg

The BG diamonds are incredibly sparkly! Pictured here with my new (to me) Cartier Diamante Legere LM necklace that I wear daily (the diamond is only .18 but the triple bezel gives it more presence). Honestly, the Cartier diamond is vastly out-sparkled by the earrings. I'm considering selling the Cartier for a BGD plain Barbara pendant with a .34 ct D SI-1 diamond. But selling is a hassle and I do like the Cartier as a whole (the chain, bezel, and tag). Hmmm...
DSCF8143.jpg DSCF8148.jpg

Here are some perspective shots. I'm very satisfied with the size.
DSCF8154.jpg DSCF8163.jpg

My backstory, if anyone is interested. I'd never owned real diamond studs before, wearing only CZ studs from Nordstrom. For my upcoming 15th anniversary in the spring, I started considering a pair of 1 ctw martini studs from Whiteflash or BGD.

While visiting NYC last month, I tried on some options at IDJ, but wasn't feeling it. At Tiffany's later that day, out of curiosity I asked to see what I could get in my price-range from the DBTY line. The SA pulled out a .38 ctw E VS pair (holy markup!). I immediately thought the size was way too small, but tried them on at his urging. Surprisingly, I loved the look. Dainty and subtle but sparkly and bigger than I expected. Also, perfectly proportional with my necklace.

I soon bought a pair of .50 ctw bezel CZ studs from Nordstrom as a trial run and decided that's what I wanted (convenient, since now I can put my anniversary funds to another use - a custom project with Maytal Hannah :))). During BGD's Black Friday sale, I bought these earrings for less than half the cost of the pair at Tiffany. I also considered a pair of H VS-1, since I know D is overkill for small studs, but the premium for the Ds was not much due to the clarity (but they are eye-clean). I'm super happy with my choice! My plan is to pass the earring and necklace set on to my (now 2 year old) daughter on her 18th or 21st birthday. By then, I figure I'll be ready to move up to .6 - .8 ct/each. :)

BGD customer service was excellent (Emily assisted me over web chat and email) and I received the package just under 2 weeks after ordering.

They look gorgeous @DorotheaBrooke! I hear you on not wanting to deal with the hassle of selling, and the Cartier necklace does look lovely on you.

And how exciting you are doing a project with Maytal Hannah, her work looks beautiful. I'm surprised she's not recommended more here on PS. If I was going to do a custom reset I would go with her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results