shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your declutteresets!

missyc

Rough_Rock
Forgive me if there is already a thread like this - I looked but didn't find one consolidated thread.

Long story short, I am looking for some inspiration. My mother loved collecting jewellery and she has passed down her collection to me. Unfortunately, her taste differs slightly to mine, so I am looking to reset some pieces. I am a "minimalist", so I want to combine a lot of things. But where do I start?!

I would like to see everyone's declutteresets! Photos are a must, of course, but brownie points for before photos too! :cool2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well im a maximist so im no help, but just keep in the back of your mind fashions do change and so can our prefrences

but i do know is its waste to have it sitting there and not being worn or enjoyed by you

what sort of jewlery did mum have ?
what do you wear ?
what of mum's do you like and would wear as is?
what is left?

do you have a daughter who would like any of the pieces as is ?

we need pictures because we just love pictures here

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I usually just sell or give away jewelry or gems/jewelry parts that I don't care for because re-setting is so expensive, especially if custom made, and I'd usually rather have something completely different for the money instead. But I'm sure it depends on what you've got and also how sentimental you are about it.

I'm also wondering what you're thinking about doing. :)

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually just sell or give away jewelry or gems/jewelry parts that I don't care for because re-setting is so expensive, especially if custom made, and I'd usually rather have something completely different for the money instead. But I'm sure it depends on what you've got and also how sentimental you are about it.

this is a very good point and something i recently came to the same conclusion,
i sent a bunch of stuff for scrap and they sent me the diamonds back which i am reusing
@missyc you have options, i would just think a few things through for a wee while

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I don't have photos but I have done this, taken many pieces given to me by various family members and turned them into one or a couple things.. only to regret because the new piece didn't hold the memory/sentimentality for me anymore. Though I wasn't wearing them as is, so I'm of no help really. I did remake a couple rings into 1 from my MIL, and it does have sentimentality because it was a set of rings made into 1, from the same person, so I suppose that's why it's still sentimental and holds memory for me. Just wanted to pass along the advice. There was one ring I wish I hadn't included, though it wasn't my style at all, the memory behind it was very sweet.

missyc

Rough_Rock
well im a maximist so im no help, but just keep in the back of your mind fashions do change and so can our prefrences

but i do know is its waste to have it sitting there and not being worn or enjoyed by you

what sort of jewlery did mum have ?
what do you wear ?
what of mum's do you like and would wear as is?
what is left?

do you have a daughter who would like any of the pieces as is ?

we need pictures because we just love pictures here

this is a very good point and something i recently came to the same conclusion,
i sent a bunch of stuff for scrap and they sent me the diamonds back which i am reusing
@missyc you have options, i would just think a few things through for a wee while

Thanks for the input, @seaurchin and @Daisys and Diamonds . A lot of the pieces are actually still in mum's safe box at the bank, so I don't have access to it right away. From memory, she's got a lot of diamond rings (small cluster rings, not any big solitaires), some flashy coloured stone rings and pendants. A lot of the pieces are made up of multiple tiny stones (think 0.1~0.2ct), so they are all very blingy. I prefer more simple (but not plain) designs.

@Daisys and Diamonds, I have a daughter but she is not earth-side yet :lol: She is due in July, so it's going to be a while before she figures out what she likes and dislikes.

There are some pieces that I am definitely going to keep for sentimental reasons. It's mainly the multi-stone, flashy pieces that I can't see myself ever wearing. I think jewellery is for us to wear, not to store away!

missyc

Rough_Rock
I don't have photos but I have done this, taken many pieces given to me by various family members and turned them into one or a couple things.. only to regret because the new piece didn't hold the memory/sentimentality for me anymore. Though I wasn't wearing them as is, so I'm of no help really. I did remake a couple rings into 1 from my MIL, and it does have sentimentality because it was a set of rings made into 1, from the same person, so I suppose that's why it's still sentimental and holds memory for me. Just wanted to pass along the advice. There was one ring I wish I hadn't included, though it wasn't my style at all, the memory behind it was very sweet.
@Mooshi I'm sorry that you've come to regret the resets, but thank you for pointing it out. I am more on the sentimental side, so I think I would need to proceed only after lots of thinking. Do you have photos of the original pieces for you to look back on and remember those sweet memories?

IMG_8703.jpeg

Turned mom’s 3-strand faux pearl bracelet into a necklace. Created a pendant out of a blue topaz heart pendant, two peridot earrings, a loose pearl, and a princess cut diamond.

From three solitaire rings I barely wore:

IMG_0519.jpeg

I love how these two pieces came out, especially the second pendant. It doesn't look like a reset at all. Did you design them yourself, or did your jeweler come up with it? Do you find yourself wearing these more than the separate pieces?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input, @seaurchin and @Daisys and Diamonds . A lot of the pieces are actually still in mum's safe box at the bank, so I don't have access to it right away. From memory, she's got a lot of diamond rings (small cluster rings, not any big solitaires), some flashy coloured stone rings and pendants. A lot of the pieces are made up of multiple tiny stones (think 0.1~0.2ct), so they are all very blingy. I prefer more simple (but not plain) designs.

@Daisys and Diamonds, I have a daughter but she is not earth-side yet :lol: She is due in July, so it's going to be a while before she figures out what she likes and dislikes.

There are some pieces that I am definitely going to keep for sentimental reasons. It's mainly the multi-stone, flashy pieces that I can't see myself ever wearing. I think jewellery is for us to wear, not to store away!

congradulations on baba
who knows, she might have inherited the blingy bling genes
if she grows up to be a careful young lady she might be interested in wearing one of those pendants on special occasions in a few years time, so keep her and any potential siblings in mind
yes jewellery is most definatly to wear and not to store away but it could be a lovely and fun link to their grandmother for them

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No photos, I'm sorry, but I *have* thought this issue through.

I have a lot of leftover melee. Like - a LOT. Carats and carats. When I get to the point where I'm sure I don't want to make anything else, I will do one of two things: either a pave holly leaf that I can wear as a coat / scarf brooch or pin, OR a pave bangle covered in all the leftover diamonds in a mosaic pattern. Something around 6mm wide.

Unsure which way I'll go - it's a close run thing.

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
I did this...I started out with two rings and two sets of studs I didn't wear and consolidated into a 'bubble ring' and pave pendant that I wear daily now. The amethyst from the ring was underwhelming so it got tossed. I think it was worth it . I consider my taste more minimalist too so maybe this helps. IMG_6855.jpeg IMG_6993.jpeg

missyc

Rough_Rock
congradulations on baba
who knows, she might have inherited the blingy bling genes
if she grows up to be a careful young lady she might be interested in wearing one of those pendants on special occasions in a few years time, so keep her and any potential siblings in mind
yes jewellery is most definatly to wear and not to store away but it could be a lovely and fun link to their grandmother for them

Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds! Gold prices are sky high at the moment, so it's all just planning for future projects. I'll have to make the trip out to the bank to see what exactly there is.

No photos, I'm sorry, but I *have* thought this issue through.

I have a lot of leftover melee. Like - a LOT. Carats and carats. When I get to the point where I'm sure I don't want to make anything else, I will do one of two things: either a pave holly leaf that I can wear as a coat / scarf brooch or pin, OR a pave bangle covered in all the leftover diamonds in a mosaic pattern. Something around 6mm wide.

Unsure which way I'll go - it's a close run thing.

Yes, that is my dilemma too. There's a lot of diamond rings with melee-sized stones, so I don't know what to do with it all. A pave bangle is a nice idea!

I did this...I started out with two rings and two sets of studs I didn't wear and consolidated into a 'bubble ring' and pave pendant that I wear daily now. The amethyst from the ring was underwhelming so it got tossed. I think it was worth it . I consider my taste more minimalist too so maybe this helps. IMG_6855.jpeg IMG_6993.jpeg

I love your bubble ring, @Gemmy123! Do you miss the old pieces at all?

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds! Gold prices are sky high at the moment, so it's all just planning for future projects. I'll have to make the trip out to the bank to see what exactly there is.

Yes, that is my dilemma too. There's a lot of diamond rings with melee-sized stones, so I don't know what to do with it all. A pave bangle is a nice idea!

I love your bubble ring, @Gemmy123! Do you miss the old pieces at all?

Thank you...I'm not terribly sentimental about most material items so no I don't. I do have an issue with things sitting unused so I went this route. Also, if I ever really wanted to reminisce about the original pieces I have photos of them which would suffice for me.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this thread! I’m all about repurposing old pieces.

I turned one of my mom’s old rings into a pendant:
928498 951317

I repurposed two pairs of old earrings (diamonds & opals) into convertible studs/danglers:

missyc

Rough_Rock
I love this thread! I’m all about repurposing old pieces.

I turned one of my mom’s old rings into a pendant:
F72766E8-A01C-4227-9A85-7CB80590BFAC.jpeg
96FF9A21-7492-4CD6-BAD3-4C5CB7DA5EAB.jpeg IMG_0566.jpeg

I repurposed two pairs of old earrings (diamonds & opals) into convertible studs/danglers:
3F450C64-FC52-4FB6-A4AF-6865D2F07364.jpeg
78AE112F-1632-4A88-B782-C0F2AEBC2545.jpeg

Oh, I especially love your pendant! I think I'm going to have to take a trip down to the bank and see what's on offer for me. I'm not very creative though, so will definitely PSer's help :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results