carat
color
clarity

Show me your Black Opals!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey guys :wavey:

So Mrs Jordy and I have recently joined our local lapidary club and we've been learning to cut cabochons. Nothing that would really interest the fine tastes of the people here on PS, just stuff like Petrified wood, Malachite, Jasper etc. However over the last few weeks I've started to develop an affinity for Lightning Ridge Black Opal and will be looking at getting a package from Justin @ Black Opal Direct early next year to cut at my local club in order to learn more about how to cut different gemstones.

I'm very interested in seeing what shapes people have or like in Black Opal and my wife is interested to see settings as well so if you have any Black Opals then please share!! :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alas, I have none but I like the one OTL has set as her avatar picture. Freeform is very pretty and bespoke but requires custom setting. However, if the piece is particularly striking, I am sure it deserves a custom setting anyway. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jordy, here is a black opal from Lightning Ridge. My mom and dad bought it in 1972 from Cartier on 5th ave in NYC. It is hard to photograph and more beautiful IRL but here is a photo just to give you an idea. Good luck and enjoy the hunt. Black opals can be just gorgeous IRL.

_35715.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree Chrono, that particular piece is absolutely stunning! Personally I am not a fan of the baroque shapes, the more symmetrical shapes like round and oval cabs are more what I am liking at the moment. Originally my aunty was wanting me to cut a couple stones at my lapidary club for her to make some earrings but if I get anything similar to the Black Opal in OTL's avatar then I might just get myself a men's ring made and she can sort her own stuff out :lol:

Missy that stone looks amazing! I'd love to get a shot of the potch on the stone if the setting is open!! :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy, we are not home until 2016 and I do not have the ring with me. When I get back I will try getting some more pics for you. If I remember LOL. Memory is not what it used to be but I will try. Please keep us posted on your search. :appl:

In the meantime not a pic of the "potch" but here's another photo I found of the ring. OK found 2 gallery side profiles in my saved pics but will try todo better for you when I get back home if you still want me to.

blackopalcloseup.jpg

cartieropal15.jpg

black_opal_oct_0.jpg

profileofcartieropal.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, your opal ring is one of my top ten favorite rings on PS-of all time. I love the setting, the opal and the diamonds. It is my dream opal ring. Thanks again for posting it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Missy :love:
I always enjoy seeing your ring

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only if it isn't any hassle Missy, that stone just looks unreal. If I produce something at the club that barely holds a candle to that stone, then I'll be really proud!!

I've thought about getting doublets but I'm turning into a rock-hound and only want to play with the best, I've got so many expensive hobbies that I really don't need another one :roll:

C'mon guys, there has to be more members with Black Opals!! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results