shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please.
1.gif

I love seeing the art people choose to display in their homes. Would you share yours, please?
And if it has a story behind it, do tell!

Thank you!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, I love Art! My house is filled with paintings that I made and bought. Here are some samples from an oil painting class that I took in 2007. I learned a lot from that class!

This is one of my husband:

davepainting_1_2_1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my dog Chico.

chicopaint.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Here''s his brother Nunu.

nunupainting_1_1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Last one, this is a portrait of a woman that was sitting across me in class. It''s supposed to be semi-abstract.

womanportrait_1_1.jpg

April20

Ideal_Rock
We have a lot of art, I don''t have photos of it all, but I''ll attach a pic of two of my pieces.

I was very fortunate to grow up in a family that owned a framing gallery. We ended up with a lot of "abandoned" art over the years- things people forgot about, never paid for, etc. We would do the due diligence to track people down, but after a certain time period, we added it to our collection. When I got older and moved out, my parents let me take some pieces. They''ve given me others over the years.

I don''t have a photo of my favorite piece, I''ll try to remember to take one. It''s a lovely oil painting, quite small. It''s in a 24kt gold leaf frame, so it must have some significant value given the frame. I wanted it for years, offered to buy it from them even. They gave it to me as a wedding present; I couldn''t have been given anything better.

Attached are two photo prints of a series of three that I have. They''re done by photographer John Guider on a trip he took to Italy in 1996.

DSC05035 - Copy.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
My newest piece is an signed Ed Clark photo print of Minnie Pearl singing on the Grand Ole Opry in 1946. Ed Clark was a Life Magazine photographer- he captured so many iconic images of the mid 20th century- Jackie Kennedy hosting a high tea while JFK was running for president, the accordian player crying at FDR''s funeral, etc.

The Minnie Pearl photo is from the pre-price tag hanging from her hat days. You can see life radiating off her. It''s fantastic. I took a photo, please excuse the glare on the glass. It''s hanging directly next to a caricature of downtown Nashville. Very, very different styles, but the buidling front and center in that piece is the Ryman Auditorium, which is where Minnie Pearl would have physically been when the photo was taken. Most people don''t get why I have these two very different pieces hanging together, but every now and then someone "gets" it.

DSC05058 - Copy.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the oil painting....

DSC05059 - Copy.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
April, your pieces are lovely! They have so much character to them. Thanks for posting them.
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinumrock--I love your style! Thank you for sharing all of your pieces! Do you have any framed and hanging up in your home? You should!

April--I can''t tell you how jealous I am of your framing connections! DH and I just spent $500 getting our ketubah (marriage contract) framed, and another $100 getting one of our invites and the engraving plate framed. And that was with half off of the actual frames! (Glass and everything else was still full price.)
That Minnie Pearl photo is FANTASTIC. I love photography, black and white in particular, and that shot is really wonderful. You''re right, she is radiant.
And that oil painting! I love it.

Thanks, ladies. I love how artwork really gives a house character. I''ll take pictures of the little that we have up right now, though it isn''t much.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I have more... I''ll try and take pics tomorrow. I have a 2.5 ft rooster made from scrap metal and a Red Groomes (he''s a Tn artist, designer the carosel in d-town N''ville) 3-D paper sculpture of the Wheeler Opera House. And a few other oddities. The paper sculpture I got thru the family hookup. The rooster I carted back on a plane from Petaluma, CA.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 4:24:36 PM
Author: Haven
Platinumrock--I love your style! Thank you for sharing all of your pieces! Do you have any framed and hanging up in your home? You should!

April--I can''t tell you how jealous I am of your framing connections! DH and I just spent $500 getting our ketubah (marriage contract) framed, and another $100 getting one of our invites and the engraving plate framed. And that was with half off of the actual frames! (Glass and everything else was still full price.)

That Minnie Pearl photo is FANTASTIC. I love photography, black and white in particular, and that shot is really wonderful. You''re right, she is radiant.

Thanks, ladies. I love how artwork really gives a house character. I''ll take pictures of the little that we have up right now, though it isn''t much.

Haven those custom framing prices are insane! I think we spent $100 or so on a custom frame for our ketubah-esque marriage certificate and I thought that was expensive!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Haven! I''m definitely an amateur, but oil painting is sooo much fun! I love the idea of being able to create anything I want by mixing the most basic colors. I haven''t had the chance to get them framed, and it never occured to me! I will defnitely look into it.
2.gif

I can''t wait to see your artwork!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:48:04 PM
Author: neatfreak

Haven those custom framing prices are insane! I think we spent $100 or so on a custom frame for our ketubah-esque marriage certificate and I thought that was expensive!

Tell me about it!
I went to three places before I ended up going to Hobby Lobby during their half off sale.
To be fair, the frame is 40" square, so it''s huge, double-matted, and we had museum glass because our ketubah is an original work of art that we commissioned from an artist in Israel, so we wanted to keep it safe.

I''ll post pictures of the ketubah and invite once we get them back. They better look GOOD!

Platinumrock--I LOVE painting with oils, it''s so much fun. I''m more comfortable with gauche, because that''s what I used in college, but oils have so much depth.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Framing is so expensive! Our Ketubah is in a temp frame, we had to put it up so that I can remind DH of his obligations
28.gif
My aunt painted an amazing 5'' tall 9'' long canvas of ummmm, well, modern cows. Its not typical of her stuff, there is a lot going on in it so people coming into our living room are like "whoa!" Its acrylic on canvas so we nailed it to strips of wood that we nailed to the wall. We have about seven of her paintings and lots of pictures we have taken traveling. Someday we will put up wedding pictures. Here is a watercolor of hers that was made into a poster. The painting was of her front garden, my avatar and ketubah are of her side garden.

1998_TheFrontBedbyMargaretScanlan.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubbys parents home.

IMGss1187.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
House in Savannah

IMGsss1189.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
a friend painted this for me last yr

IMGsss1190.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
ocean, sorry it's so big.

IMGsss1186.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my scrap metal rooster. His name is Hank. You should have seen the look on the airline employee''s face when I hoisted this piece wrapped in bubble wrap up on the scale. He asked me what I wanted him to do with it. I told him he checks in car seats, golf clubs and all sorts of things- this is a bird, put a tag on his leg and stick him in the belly of the plane! And he did. (this was before they charged for anything and everything you check. I got him on the plane for free!)

DSC05060.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the paper sculpture. I need to get the display box fixed. The pegs that hold it up the art broke a while back and I haven''t had it repaired yet.

DSC05063.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 2:53:20 PM
Author: Skippy123
House in Savannah
I really like this piece! It''s fantastic.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Let me preface this post by saying FI and I collect a lot of low-brow, different art. We have a ton of artwork, and unfortunetly, a lot of it isn''t framed. Here is a tiny bit of our collection:

art1.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 3:21:29 PM
Author: April20

Date: 2/18/2009 2:53:20 PM
Author: Skippy123
House in Savannah
I really like this piece! It's fantastic.
Thanks my Sister in law is an painted all those except the one my friend painted. This I took on the airplane TOO!!! hehe Hubby is artistic too.

April, I love the paper sculpture, super cool and fun rooster!

Haven, great thread; I love looking at peoples art work!!!

Platinumrock, Beachrunner and April, great art!
35.gif
Can't wait to see yours Haven!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I apologize. Those weren''t the best photos. I''ll post more, if anyone is interested. :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 3:41:35 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I apologize. Those weren''t the best photos. I''ll post more, if anyone is interested. :)
Yes, please!!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Haven! We tend to like funky, modern, weird and urban kind of art. We have some Dali prints. FI likes Michael Goddard, so we have a few of his prints, too.

One of our good friends is an artist. He also works for the mural arts program in Philly. His style is funky/urban/graffiti-esque. Here is something from him, we have this in our living room:

jonny1.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a huge Georgia O''Keefe fan, and my sororities flower is the pansy. I have this hanging in my living room.

georgiaokeefepansy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results