shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Antique Cuts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
OMG, MelissaSue, your ring is incredible! somehow I must have missed it... WHERE did you get the setting? I love the way it flows, beautiful.

Everyone''s rings are so gorgeous!! I really like seeing the antique cuts, they look so romantic and beautiful.
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful diamonds everyone! I love this thread! One of my girl friends is likely to get engaged within a few months, and her bf has inherited a diamond from his grandmother for her to choose from. I''m not sure but it sounds like a .6 or .7 OEC, very fiery and sparkly in its original bezel setting. I''ll see if she''ll let me take and post pictures when she gets it (hopefully girl-rather than boy-soon!).

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Glitterata - what nice things you do say - you''re making me blush!

I must say, the setting of your Grandmother''s transitional cut ring is outstanding. Someone posted a pic of their marquise halo ring recently and I thought ''well that''s a new idea for a setting'' and then you show us your antique ring and their setting is the same as your side stone setting. They say there''s nothing new under the sun and they''re so right!
1.gif

Mrs Jam - I''m sure I remember you posting about that ring a couple of years ago. Does it have kind of a leaf pattern down the sides? It''s still as lovely.

MeLissaSue - Your centre stone certainly looks like an OEC. You can tell by the open culet and the chunky facet pattern. that''s what I love about OEC''s - the way they look and, of course, the way they sparkle with lots of fire. Yours may be a transitional cut - sort of half way between an OEC and a more modern brilliant cut.

Most people don''t realise that there are such things as OMC''s, OEC''s, transitional cuts and the like, so it''s unlikely anyone would comment. It''s only people who frequent forums such as this that are so well informed. My lab report decribes mine as an Old English Cut rather than an Old European Cut which means that it was specifically cut in England during a certain period of time. Very few people (other than old cut experts) know all the nuances of the old cut stones. Art Anderson (Bijoux) explained a bit about my diamond''s cut to me which is how I found a bit more out about my diamond''s history. He told me that the English cutters at that time cut their stones more for sparkle than weight which was unusual. This made their stones more expensive than other stones around Europe and so sadly the practice died out. But he said that it meant that I probably had a very well cut stone for an old cut stone - one that could rival the performance of modern cut stones. All this background knowledge is part of what makes my diamond extra special in my eyes. I hope you girls feel the same about your ''special'' diamonds. I have other diamonds, including ideal cut ones, but they don''t tug at my heart strings the way this one does.
21.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I love this thread--what a lot of beauties.

Does anyone know whether part of the reason older cuts often have more fire is their larger, blocky facet pattern? I sometimes think that smaller bits of color blend together into white, while the larger chunks stay colored. Does that make sense?

Mrs. Jam, I remember your father buying that lovely ring for your mother. I''m so sorry you lost her!

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
That little one I have has a higher crown, and very small table....could that be part of it?

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, the older cut diamonds do have that shape. Like a little mountain on top
9.gif

The table on mine is only 45!
6.gif
The usual specs we're told to look for just go out of the window when it comes to OEC's. I don't know the mathematical reasons why they show so much fire, but I know that they do.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Ring inherited from my grandmother. Not sure of specs. Have been told it might be a transitional cut or an OEC, and is probably not an OMC.

link

bgvint.jpg

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I really love the settings that everyone has for their vintage diamonds! And also fountain''s soon to be setting!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Wow, I just love this thread. Each and every one of these rings has a unique beauty. I just love the antique settings. Thank you for sharing your beatiful rings.

ETA: Widget, I also love your fabulous earrings!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

May I please include my estate OEC ring I bought at Easter? I really love it and the OEC''s are really wonderful cuts--sparkle like there is no tomorrow!

Thanks for this thread--all those beauties that have been posted take my breath away!

myOEC.JPG

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 8:36:31 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

May I please include my estate OEC ring I bought at Easter? I really love it and the OEC''s are really wonderful cuts--sparkle like there is no tomorrow!

Thanks for this thread--all those beauties that have been posted take my breath away!
I love that!!!!!!!!
30.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Buena--that is just delicious!
18.gif
30.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
What beauties in this thread!
35.gif

Gliteratta, I still recall hearing the story of your GM''s ring, the transition cut. It remains among my favorites (and Bagpuss'' too
31.gif
), and I just can''t get over the beauty of it. I''m very attracted to the story also.
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, K-mom. I''d rather have my grandmother back, but since I can''t, I''m glad I get to wear her ring.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 9:02:01 AM
Author: jennalyns
OMG, MelissaSue, your ring is incredible! somehow I must have missed it... WHERE did you get the setting? I love the way it flows, beautiful.

Everyone''s rings are so gorgeous!! I really like seeing the antique cuts, they look so romantic and beautiful.
1.gif
My setting is an A. Jaffe. We ordered it from a local jeweler. The sidestones came as part of the setting, so I unfortunately know nothing about them (Because I am a bad diamond owner and haven''t gotten an apraissal).. but they are modern rounds, obviously.

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
This is my NEW engagement ring that I got on July 21, when my bf proposed! He used my grandmother''s diamond that was in a really old, very ornate setting and re-set it in an antique setting that we found in downtown Los Angeles in the jewelry district. The setting is new but the diamond is very old and my jeweler said it was cut by hand. It has a visual defect in it, but it only adds to the sparkle. I don''t know the size, though my jeweler said it was around .68 or .70, but it has never been properly appraised. My grandmother was born and raised in Argentina and would be in her 90s by now, but she never kept records on any of her rings, so I can only assume the diamond is pretty old. I wish I knew more. I have pictures of the old setting, which is very old and pictures of the diamond in the new setting.

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Sorry, it didnt work. This is my grandmother''s OLD setting and OLD diamond

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
ARGH! It''s not working. But I posted the pictures of the old setting and diamond at this site
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/grandmothers-old-diamond-ring.25344/
Hopefully, you can see the old diamond in it''s original setting there.
This is the old diamond in the new setting!

simones ering.jpg

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 1:49:30 AM
Author: palegirl888
Sorry, it didnt work. This is my grandmother''s OLD setting and OLD diamond
I''m looking forward to seeing your pic!

Before you attach the pic, make sure the name of your file is unique, otherwise if you''re still having problems, email it to me and I''ll post your pic!
35.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
palegirl - That is GORGEOUS. I really really really love it! I love the setting and the stone looks beautiful!

PS - I think the reason your pics aren''t uploading is because you already have them posted in another thread. YOu can''t upload a file twice with the same name.
I''ll copy them over here

Palegirl888''s Grandmother''s Original Setting
DSC06116Aw.jpg

DSC06119Aw.jpg

DSC06122Aw.jpg

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Great minds think alike MelissaSue!!
I was just about to post the original setting, too!!
9.gif

palegirl888, I love your new setting!! Wear it in good health!

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Side view of grandmother''s diamond in old setting...HOW HIGH CAN YOU GO?

sideview22.jpg

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Wow...you guys work fast! I wish I had your picture posting knowhow! I am such a beginner! Thank you for the help...I need it
36.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 8:36:31 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Lovely ring and I can imagine the sparkle you get with it. (Drool)

I love the Art Deco style rings that go down the finger - they make my stubby fingers look so much longer (and thinner!)
9.gif
The only jewellery that a jeweller has ever commented on (unasked) apart from my 2ct OEC was my Mother''s e-ring. He told me it was a good quality piece of jewellery and not to sell it. (Fat chance - I never sell any of my sparklies!
6.gif
) Maybe he was an old cut nut too.
21.gif
I was so flattered that he noticed my ring that I never asked him.
1.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 1:52:50 AM
Author: palegirl888
ARGH! It''s not working. But I posted the pictures of the old setting and diamond at this site
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/grandmothers-old-diamond-ring.25344/
Hopefully, you can see the old diamond in it''s original setting there.
This is the old diamond in the new setting!
I really like your ''new'' setting - very dainty and feminine.

Have you ever done anything with the old setting or used the diamonds in something else? I love baguette cuts and have a few pieces that feature them together with rbs - the different sparkles/flashes you get from the two cuts really increase the bling factor.
30.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 8:26:00 AM
Author: fountainfairfax

Date: 8/13/2005 7:14:40 PM
Author: widget
Ooooh, I''m just loving this thread!!! So much antique eyecandy...

Fountain...what a great mounting for your OMC!!!!! When will it be ready?? Can''t wait to see the ''real thing''!
3.gif

widget
Thanks Widget! We''re ready to go to wax, so I''ll post photos to get opinions. My conservative estimate is late Sept/early Oct, just because I may make a few changes to the wax along the way
3.gif
From the top it will look just like a sleek, modern full bezel...the side view is just so I have a little something special to look at!
Oh, fountain, that''s so exciting about your custom ring! I knew about your gorgeous stone, but didn''t know you''d decided on a mounting! I love this one...so lovely & will be perfect for your stone! I think you''ll be really pleased w/ the side view. I can''t tell you how many times I enjoy looking at the side view of my ring. I can''t wait to see the finished product!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s my OEC in a vintage tiffany inspired reproduction setting. Here''s the original thread

questcustomset1.jpg

questcustomset2.jpg

questringtop.jpg

nutty

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 3:15:41 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Here''s my OEC in a vintage tiffany inspired reproduction setting. Here''s the original thread

questcustomset1.jpg

questcustomset2.jpg

questringtop.jpg
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
That is BEAUTIFUL!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so pretty.

Why are the OEC settings all so lovely looking? The vintage settings all seem so much more feminine looking to me than the modern ones. Maybe I''m an old soul that was born too late.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results