shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your Antique Cuts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nutty

Rough_Rock
I agree Bagpuss. I think I was born in the wrong era too.
2.gif

gemini646

Rough_Rock
This is absolutely stunning.... so feminine and warm!!
Isn''t it amazing what an impact the "right" setting can have on a diamond???
36.gif

gemini646

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 3:15:41 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Here''s my OEC in a vintage tiffany inspired reproduction setting. Here''s the original thread

questcustomset1.jpg

questcustomset2.jpg

questringtop.jpg

Sorry, I''m new at this. My reply above was to "MRSSALVO".
An absolutely beautiful ring!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 2:50:10 AM
Author: gemini646
This is absolutely stunning.... so feminine and warm!!

Isn''t it amazing what an impact the ''right'' setting can have on a diamond???
36.gif

thanks gemini. it''s true, the OEC really seemed to find a true home
1.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
attached is a platinum engagement ring that was passed down to me. it''s about 85 or so years old. Don''t know much else about it.

plat_engag.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if this one counts either, but here it is. It is a cocktail ring that is 50 years old. it was given as a graduation gift.

i have more respect for all those photographers out there. it''s so hard to take pics of jewels!!! Maybe i''ll get better at it...

50yroldcocktail.jpg

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
It''s amazing how many people out there who have these stunning old cut diamonds or lovely estate pieces. I love ''em all. I spend half my time drooling over all the websites I can find that sell antique ringa and stuff. Rings my bell much more than most of the modern offerings, I have to say.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m bumping this thread for angel_ nieves, and also because maybe there are some "new" old diamonds out there we haven''t seen yet!

Here''s a pair of OEC earrings I didn''t post earlier. I always thought they were quite "warm" colored, but they whitened/brightened up considerably after their bath in my new ultra sonic cleaner!
9.gif

widget

kno73.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow widget, those are lovely, and thanks for bumping this for Angel nieves and others as well. I love to see the older cuts!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
Got to love that UC, huh??

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2005 8:57:47 AM
Author: mrssalvo

thanks gemini. it''s true, the OEC really seemed to find a true home
Mrssalvo, could it be that your ring has started a whole new trend ?
2.gif

013PO13.jpg
There is no other image to show the sides, but this one looks very close.

LINK to source

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I completely adore antique jewelry! All you ladies have such beautiful pieces. I'll add mine. It's my true original engagement ring my husband proposed to me with. It's very delicate. Once I used my left hand to break my fall and badly damaged the ring. I got it fixed but it doesn't look the same anymore. All the delicate details could not be redone. I don't wear it often, only on special occasions now, as a RHR.

ETA It's a OEC, ring dated back to the 1920s.

antiqueering-1.jpg

Vix

Shiny_Rock
I finally found this thread after two days of looking...thanks PrettyinPave for telling me it was around! And thank you all so much for posting your breathtaking pieces.

Though I've always loved vintage jewelry, I've been limited to the costume variety. Recently I had the chance for a genuine article, so I undertook a crash course in antique cuts--alas, example upon example seemed to call my name.

Luckily the budget narrowed things down a bit, ha. Anyway, here's my new '20s era .40 carat European Cut in white gold. The filigree is Art Nouveau (love the way it forms a heart on each side) while the hex top is characteristic of Art Deco. And it seems right at home in my 1905 house.

Sorry, my photography skills could not do this ring justice! As you all know, the fire one gets with even the daintiest old cuts is considerable. [BTW, Ring is Size 5]

53309770.jpg

53309978.jpg

Note side, where filigree forms heart shape:

53309771.jpg

Here's hoping my bump will bring more photos to this thread!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That is very lovely.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This is one of my favorite threads. I''m just loving that ring of Vix''s! Excellent hexagon. And of course Bagpuss''s earrings are a pleasure to behold.

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Glitterata. Wish me luck for tomorrow: I have an interview for a much-needed "good job." If I get it, I''m thinking I need to buy a modest pair of old cut earrings from the jeweler who sold us the ring--never mind the champagne dinner, I''d rather blow the money on something lovely!

And sigh...I''ve yet to see anything on this thread that I''d turn down!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, Vix! But you don''t need luck--how could anyone fail to hire someone with such exquisite taste in jewelry?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I took this picture of my DIL''s necklace for another topic, and I realize it really belongs in this great thread...

Probably turn of the century, maybe later...pear shaped rose cut diamond:

1.gif
widget

Lizrosecut.jpg

prettyinpave

Shiny_Rock
Widget, that pear shaped rose-cut is amazing! Did you find this piece for your DIL, or are you just lucky enough to have a DIL who shares your interests?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I found it and got it just because I liked it. Later I gave it to her for Xmas...she''s not the anique nut that I am, but she does like sparkliles!

I used to give her a lot of stuff...I''ve eased up a little. I think I was revelling in the fun of having a "daughter"...I only had sons...

widget

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll volunteer to be your daughter.........
2.gif

prettyinpave

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I want to be your daughter, too, Widget. If I was maybe I''d get to try on your Nelson''s Rarities emerald and diamond three stone!!!
30.gif

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Widget, that necklace is amazing...love the unapologetic chunk of the rose cut! Are you sure your DIL appreciates it enough? Sounds like you can take your pick from us if you need substitutes, ha.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Vix
Are you sure your DIL appreciates it enough? Sounds like you can take your pick from us if you need substitutes, ha.
Hee hee.. actually I don''t think she did at first! I realized about six months after she got it that she thought the stone was quartz or glass.!!! I had to straighten her out...

Thanks, you guys...I''ve had DIL offers before...
2.gif

roxy7

Shiny_Rock
Coming to this thread late, but I had to add my bf''s Old Mine Cut to the collection (quite a bunch of beauties here):

1.66 carat
Old Mine Cut
none of the other stats for sure just yet....

omcpretty.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oooooooh, Beautiful, Roxy!!
30.gif

Do you have any more pictures? I''d love to see more of that neat mounting...

Thanks for posting!

widget

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Here is my great aunt''s ring from the 1940''s. I''m not sure what the cut is, and sorry it''s so dirty in the photo''s! It''s a .86 ct J SI2 round.

antiquesideview.JPG

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a pic from the top. It has claw prongs so it''s looks more square than it really is!

antiquetopview.JPG

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Here''s some more photos-sorry I don''t know how to make a collage!

IMG_5836.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! These rings are absolutely gorgeous. I love the antique style... so, so pretty. For those who bought their antique rings, where did you buy them? I have found a bunch of online sites but always love looking at more. Also, any stores in the Chicagoland area? I''ll have to find a way to post a pic of one of my grandmother''s rings.

Very, very pretty rings!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results