shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me the curl!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cello! I can''t wait either! Trying again to post a pic of my long hair curly from my shower a little over a year ago! I love my hair long and curly, but it''s limiting since it''s also thick, so I really can''t handle it if I try to straight or do anything else with it.

myhair2x.jpg

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
And here is dh''s hair (he''s obviously the one with the curly hair). This was the last time it was somewhat long and curly. He grew it out one last time before his Navy duty started because now he obviously has to keep it buzzed. He usually keeps it buzzed anyway, but he wanted one last look at his super curly hair!

Matthairsizex.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''m a curly too
2.gif
. Mine is VERY thick and on the corse side, and i''m a bit lazy, so most of the time it''s up in a bun or pony tail (like it is today). All that curl in 115 degree weather just doesn''t work well for me. This pic is from last year (the month before I got prego), it''s a little longer now.

So curly girls, what styling products work best? The only thing I''ve found that I like is Catwalk Curls Rock (which I have in the pic), anything better out there?

ImageDisp.jpg

Sha

Ideal_Rock
K...I''ve never posted a pic of me on PS before, but I''ll be brave...
28.gif
This is a pic of me (bridesmaid) and my good friend at her wedding last year. I had just cut my hair short - it''s growing back now.

meandW2.jpg

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Sha - you are one gorgeous woman! Love the hair short, too!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I rarely wear my hair curly.. this thread is making me want to do it more and more! Everyone has such pretty hair!!!

My favorite product is a gel and cream mixture. I think it''s by Sunsilk. I hate the crunchy feeling gel can often leave, but if I only put in a cream my curls don''t hold as well. This is a really nice balance.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 11:17:11 AM
Author: Starset Princess
Sha - you are one gorgeous woman! Love the hair short, too!

Awww...thanks!
1.gif
1.gif
I did like my hair short too, but it got irritating for a while, not being able to pull it back on lazy days if I needed to. My hair is medium-length now, but I don''t really have many recent photos of it.

All the curlies posted here are really beautiful! Sabine - I think your little one is definitely going to have curly locks, looking at you and your DH. I know you had posted on the Preg thread that that would be a bit of a challenge, but I just love to see little curly-haired boys...and girls.....
30.gif
So cute!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Sabine, your little one is going to have some shiny shiny hair! I love it!

Sha!!!!!!!!!! You are so gorgeous! Did you chop all your hair for a new style or to get rid of chemical treatments? I chopped my hair off and was left with about 3 or 4 inches last summer. It grew like a freaking weed!

As for products, I follow the curly-girl method. I make sure that all of my products are water-soluble and I don''t use shampoo (haven''t used it for over a year).

I scrub my scalp with VO5 kiwi conditioner (this is called co-washing) a couple times a week. I condition with Suave Aloe Conditioner and leave about half of it in.

I use Loreal Out of Bed cream and Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel.

Loreal Out of Bed is good if you need your curls to clump. My curls tend to separate and frizz making them look limp and undefined. This product clumps multiple curls together to make bigger, fatter, curls.

I also plop. Haha. That''s an awesome word. I use as old t-shirt as a towel for my hair because regular towels make me frizz (the little loops rub my hair the wrong way). So I put a t-shirt down on the toilet, flip my head upside down (this is easy because I put the products on with my head upside down, so I''m already in the right position), and wrap my head in the t-shirt. There are directions online if you google I''m sure.

My curls were limp, flat, frizzy, and crunchy before I started this method. At first it was annoying because I had to find the right products and read all the ingredients. But now that I''ve found what works, it''s a piece of cake.

If my hair is too crunchy because I got product-happy, I put a smidge of olive oil in my hands, rub it in, and then scrunch my hair. Jojoba oil works too and smells better :)

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Mustang, love the curls! :) Rock ''em!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks chellosweet! I''ve been interested in the no-poo method, but too chicken to try it. My hair also frizzes easy, so I''ve been using things that make it crunchy but don''t really like it. I might look into alternatives a bit more and try a few new products...

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I''m like a lot of you who spent most of my youth trying to make my hair straight! But for the past 5 years I''ve finally accepted my curls and actually like them. I do sometimes wish I more of a style though!

here''s a pic from my bridal shower last year....

april191111.jpg

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
and here''s a more recent...forgive the roots...I was 7 months pregnant (this was back in April at my baby shower)...that''s my mom
9.gif

IMG_0799.JPG

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Cdt.. your hair is gorgeous!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
hi cdt! Love the hair! :)

I know what you mean about having more of a style. Sometimes I feel a little limited, but curly hair in itself is a style. A style that a lot of world spends countless hours with a curling iron to acheive :)

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 11:47:55 AM
Author: MustangGal
Thanks chellosweet! I''ve been interested in the no-poo method, but too chicken to try it. My hair also frizzes easy, so I''ve been using things that make it crunchy but don''t really like it. I might look into alternatives a bit more and try a few new products...
The no poo method is really easy once you get the hang of it. If your hair frizzes easily, you''ll probably really benefit from it. My hair used to frizz like no other and now it almost never frizzes (and when it does it''s only a tiny section that I ignored with products on accident and is easily remedied in a minute or two). My hair (and a lot of curly hair) is naturally dry. Shampoo strips the oils out of your scalp and thus, out of your hair. So, if your hair tends to frizz (lack of moisture), then stripping the natural oils out with shampoo might be making it worse. I''m not saying that no-poo works for everyone, but since I''ve been poo-free I''ve used way less product, can get away with cheap conditioner because my hair doesn''t need the expensive super rich stuff ($0.99 for my VO5 and I think $1.99 for my Suave)

I also found that my curls were more uniform and bouncy after I quit the shampoo. Ok, PSA over! :)

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
thanks OUPear!

Cello - I agree, curly is a style. But sometimes I do wish I could do shorter, edger styles w/ it. But my hair just doesn't work short..or maybe I just can't pull off edgy
9.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh I LOOOVE all your curly hair!!! cello--yours is like my ideal curly hair, SO beautiful!

Funny timing, because my FSIL is giving me a keratin treatment this weekend (she''s a hairdresser by trade) because she swears up and down it will make my hair a million times less frizzy...but here it is today...SUCH a frizzball (and it''s not even HUMID out!)

Photo_07esq.JPG

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
I love seeing the pics of everyone''s curly hair. Everyone is just so beautiful!

My question for the day: did anybody''s curls change over time? When I was a kid, my hair was only wavy, but then I hit puberty, and BAM! it was all of a sudden curly. Just wondering if anyone else had their curls get more or less curly as they grew up.

As for all the other mommas to be, I wonder if all our kids will have curly hair. My dad has kinky curly hair, but my sister''s hair is pretty straight. I am not sure about my kids, since my husband has/had straight hair (doesn''t have much left
1.gif
)

I had a friedn who tried to get me to try the no-poo method before. But my hair just gets too greasy. Especially right now, with all thes preggo hormones!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone''s curls look gorgeous! My hair''s annoying -- definitely not curly but not stick straight either. If I don''t blow dry it in the morning it gets wavy and has that messed up look.

threadjack --

Hey Sabine! I saw your message to me in the other thread. For our anniversary, we went to look at apartments and then we went out to dinenr in Charlotte. Not too romantic but fun nonetheless. I''m glad you had a great anniversary!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, fun thread and everyone has gorgeous hair! I have not-straight but not curly hair, and of course wish I had waves/curls.

Cello- LOVE your hair and love your cat pictures. You are going to have one gorgeous kid between you and your Korean DH!!!! One of my BF''s is Korean, and her DH is Jewish and has THE curliest, kinkiest hair I''ve ever seen. It''s awesome, but big. She was convinced that her baby would have the crazy hair, and I personally was hoping she would- how cute would a 1/2 Asian girl be with curly hair????? But their daughter looks JUST like the mom, and looks Korean. Stick straight shiny hair (as of now, she''s almost 5 months). So you never know! But she is just the most gorgeous thing I''ve ever seen.

And SHA! You are one hot momma. So pretty, and love your hair.

Sabine- You have the kinda waves I wish I had!!!! When I hit my 30''s, my hair actually got wavier and when I lived in London I actually wore it wavy all the time, and never had to dry it and I LOVED it. Now it''s still kinda wavy, but it''s so humid where I live that it just looks frizzy and not wavy. Oh well, can''t win them all!

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I relaxed it about 7 weeks ago, but not all of the curl is gone. I need to touch up some areas.

This is from 1.5 years ago:

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Grace from a couple years ago.

DSC_0041-md-1.jpg

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Evangeline sproutin'' some curls.

DSC_0027-bw-md-1.jpg

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Looks like mine didn''t show.

Hairdo.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
so cal girl - I was wavy and dirty blond as a child, hit puberty and it got curly and darker. It''s funny how that happens, I thought it was just me! So far my 5 month old has escaped the curls, he seems to have his dad''s thin straight hair. My mom keeps trying to make it curly though, she keeps telling me to towl dry it and not comb it, but it''s still just straight. He doesn''t have much hair yet, so there''s still time
1.gif

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful curls everyone! I''m gonna break out the camera when I get home tonight, I have a brand new haircut to show off mine!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
this is the pic that I put in the show your faces thread... we had some nice curlies in there too! Hopefully they come out to play!
36.gif

I don't normally look like this, I was taking some pics for the boyfriend...
28.gif
I'm very make-upless, ponytail and sweats normally. My friends that saw this picture thought it was Chaka Khan, def not me!
9.gif

but I always wear my curls!!! Love love love them! They are a bit looser here than normal, I put a henna in my hair and it loosened the curls a bit
7.gif
the curls are usually tighter and more corkscrewy, but it was not completely dry in this photo...

I had a relaxer for about 10 years, then cut off all my hair in college, during my first year. It grew back a curly mess, and I have been hooked ever since. After that, a number of my friends have been inspired to stop relaxing and go natural! Even my mom and sister! My mom's hair was way overprocessed and falling out. She stopped relaxing and it is so thick, curly, beautiful and health again! I am so proud of her!

justliloleme.jpg

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah i had wavy hair until puberty and BAM curly! And much much darker then when I was younger. Hair is a funny thing because both of parents have some wave to their hair, but my brother and i have really curly (he even more than me) and my sister is POKER straight! Like super super straight! So weird!

Waxing - your kids are GORGEOUS!!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 11:41:01 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 7/15/2009 7:19:35 PM

Author: cellososweet

Date: 7/15/2009 7:02:35 PM

Author: TravelingGal

OUpeargirl, what great natural curls!

Cello, I can't believe you tried to straighten THAT awesome gorgeous hair! Whaddaya, nutso?
2.gif
I'm glad you don't put relaxers and straighten it anymore...you just look so amazing. My SIL's mother has a beauty supply shop for african american women and they lengths (no pun intended) they will go through for straight hair. I guess it's because so many black women have straight hair in the media? It also makes me sad that so many asians get surgery on their eyelids. We're getting rid of our natural look...what makes us unique. But no one has inner eyefolds anymore.
20.gif

Omg! Don't even get me started on freakin' tape, things that look like a wishbone to make a crease, and ssang ka peul surgery (I'm sorry, are you Korean? It's the double eyelid surgery). UGH! My best friend in high school got it and was so ashamed because she always used to make fun of girls that got it. I remember I was in LA and I saw her at some duk bo sam restaurant. I went up to say hi and she literally hid her face. When I told her to stop, my friend who was with me (bless his wonderfully sensitive heart haha j/k) goes 'What the F*** is up with your eyes? Are you high?!'

I have to admit, she looked ridiculous. It wasn't even well done. She went to some chop-doc in K-town and ended up looking like an anime character. The bottom of her eyelids were always very straight and then he rounded out the top lids too much making her eyes look like half circles. Ugh!

Yup, I'm Korean. I remember your story and that you are married to a Korean, so I figured you know the deal.

My eyes were crooked forever - one eye crease, and not the other. My mom did want me to at least even it out but I told her I could see out of both eyes just fine, thanks. Fortunately, my mom is not a pushy woman. When I went off to college at 17, the other eye crease appeared out of the blue. I am so glad I didn't get the surgery. For Korean women, it's like getting braces now...just something everyone does.

sorry to keep talking about non curly stuff, but this commentary has been very interesting! I've heard of Asians getting eyelid surgery, but I had no idea what it looked like! Fascinating!

Also, I've heard it's popular in Korean for some folks to get "kinky perms", so that they can have afro's and African American looking hair? I'll have to see if I can find links...

ETA:
linky

linky 2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results