shape
carat
color
clarity

show me patina

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring at the top should be showing some patina, compared with the brand new OEC ring at the bottom at the time the photo was taken.

20221128_145016-jpg.935019

DK :))

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex once said you dont want your silver pieces to look like a shinny piece of tin:roll:

Did I say that?! I laughed out loud when you recently said it on another thread! Well, my wife must be right: at least I find myself amusing. I mean I completely agree with the sentiment -- just don't recall the words.

There is a fine line between patina and grime. I think of the former being chemical and the latter being kinda gross. :cool2:

I mostly think of it in terms of tarnishable metals like silver, copper, and bronze. And I am very familiar with it in the world of coins -- a chemical dip or mechanical scrub will make even a valuable old coin nearly worthless. (I inherited two of those that came back with the official grade "evidence of cleaning" so instead of a few hundred dollars, they were worth closer to face value and less than the cost of the third-party grading process.)

I was not aware of old-gold patina until this forum -- but I do love the look.

And I loved the "patina" of a million scratches on my wedding band and on the SS watch my wife got me decades ago and that I have worn daily ever since. I had to send it in for service during the pandemic (relax, it's quartz, so "service" actually meant popping in a new $5 movement, I'm sure, but it was still an elaborate trans-continental "brand-experience" charade) and even specified "please do not polish!" It came back shiny and new (ugh) -- with not a trace of the million hikes and camping trips and assorted family adventures...

Let me see if we have anything with an actual patina...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did I say that?! I laughed out loud when you recently said it on another thread! Well, my wife must be right: at least I find myself amusing. I mean I completely agree with the sentiment -- just don't recall the words.

There is a fine line between patina and grime. I think of the former being chemical and the latter being kinda gross. :cool2:

I mostly think of it in terms of tarnishable metals like silver, copper, and bronze. And I am very familiar with it in the world of coins -- a chemical dip or mechanical scrub will make even a valuable old coin nearly worthless. (I inherited two of those that came back with the official grade "evidence of cleaning" so instead of a few hundred dollars, they were worth closer to face value and less than the cost of the third-party grading process.)

I was not aware of old-gold patina until this forum -- but I do love the look.

And I loved the "patina" of a million scratches on my wedding band and on the SS watch my wife got me decades ago and that I have worn daily ever since. I had to send it in for service during the pandemic (relax, it's quartz, so "service" actually meant popping in a new $5 movement, I'm sure, but it was still an elaborate trans-continental "brand-experience" charade) and even specified "please do not polish!" It came back shiny and new (ugh) -- with not a trace of the million hikes and camping trips and assorted family adventures...

Let me see if we have anything with an actual patina...
i forgot when you said it or the context ..... oh yes now i remember -it may have been when my silver cuff discoloured about i got bleech on it at work - must have been over a year ago because i was still walking home then before my knee packed up - it just kind of stuck with me- everytime i look in side the pantry :lol:

im sorry about your watch (it wasnt me i promise) you will have to make new memories with it

so coins one might dig up from say a cow paddock about a few hundard years should not be cleaned up
i know nothing about coins except i wish i had a few more 'gold' ones in my wallet but i absolutly would have wanted to clean them up all shinny and new

you are right though, you are quite amusing

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results