shape
carat
color
clarity

Should you provide appraisers w/ any certificates / info ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Quick and simple question. Should you provide the certified Graduate Gemologist appraiser wth the lab certificate or any other miscellaneous information?

Upon calling the local appraisers, they all seem to want the certificate. However, as a consumer wouldn''t you want the appraiser to be able to tell you, based on their expertise and technical analysis, what you purchased without looking at the ''cheat sheet'' in advance?? I mean if they had the GIA or AGS certificate in front of them, this wouldn''t make for a very challenging appraisal would it??

Is it also advisable NOT to disclose things like, where you purchased from, and for how much??

Thank you in advance all!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on what you’re wishing the appraiser to tell you and your reason for getting an appraisal in the first place. New purchase customers generally have a pretty predictable list of questions and concerns and high on it are whether the stone is the same one described on the report, whether the report is genuine, whether the grader agrees with the information provided (and if not, why not) and whether there are any important details that aren’t included. To answer any of these in a useful way it’s necessary to see the report. My usual advice is to take with you your lab docs, your receipt, your warranty card and everything else that the jeweler gave you. Tell the appraiser that you have it but don’t show it to them until you’ve had an opportunity to discuss what you are expecting to learn during your appraisal session.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that many appraisers charge by the hour. I, for one, love to play ‘stump the gemologist’ with people but it may not be in your best interest if you’re paying by the minute and aren’t going to learn what you really came in for.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If it''s a loose stone and I wanted them to verify color, clarity and cut, I wouldn''t. Why would they need it? That''s what they do, grade diamonds.

If the stone is already set into the piece I would, as at that point, they wouldn''t be able to grade the color correctly anyway and it might help them identify inclusions.
For me, an appraisal on a set stone is only for insurance purposes anyway.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like Neil says, we can do it on our own or along with the documentation. I like doing my own grading, but can only hope to be close to GIA or AGS grading. I wish I was a perfect grader, and maybe I am on occasions, but the labs are not so totally perfect and the grades themselves are a bit subjective near the crossover points to their adjoining, next, grade so really the role of the appraiser is not to prove accuracy, but to give a confirmation that the diamond and the report are reasonable and matching. Then, based on the report and the opinion of the appraiser, one goes on to the valuation part which the big labs don''t bother with.

If an appraiser is unwilling to do a report without examining all your documents first, I''d be a bit concerned as to why. Now, there may be a good reason for some speical type of appraisal opinion, but normally examining the documents first should not be required by the appraiser. You will save some time letting the appraiser see them first, but it is a voluntary thing and should not be demanded by an "expert". under most circumstances.

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. I actually ended up getting it appraised twice today. Unfortunately, I could NOT find a local Graduate Gemmologst (G.G.) in my area without leaving it for a couple days to a week to be looked at (I am in a bit of a hurry, and have a trust issue with some local jewellers).

In the end I went with these designations:

1st guy = F.C.Gm.A - CGA
2nd guy = F.G.A, F.C.Gm.A (Fellow of British & Canadian Gemological Associations)

Both seemed very experienced and knowledgeable & both appraisals came within just $500 of each other, and were $11,000 above the price I paid. I know these high priced appraisals are not always a good thing...more insurance costs.

Hope those designations are well acknowledged and accepted in the industry....

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. Unless you paid in the high tens, or you bought from a private seller/distress sale I''d be worried about an appraisal that comes up $11,000 over what you paid. But that''s just me.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I think it could help. I took a new diamond ring I had purchased to the local jeweler to make sure it was real. It took three people, with a diamond tester comparing their rings to mine because they didn''t think it was real and said they couldn''t find anything inside that said it was made of gold but yet the diamond tester was showing it was genuine. They simply didn''t believe it. It was a big beautiful sparkly solitaire. I pulled the paperwork out of my purse and asked if that would help. Oh, then the jeweler could verify that it was real and he thought the color was lower than my paper showed. Absolutely frickin'' amazing. I got home looked inside the ring and big as day could read with my naked eye "SOLSTICE" and "14K". Two people who work there and the jeweler himself couldn''t find THAT? Plus, it looked fake enough that they thought it was a cz but he then said he thought the color was lower??? CZ''s have no color! Let me tell you, that''s what scares people away from buying from a chain store, egads the imbeciles. I know I''d never step foot in that store again. I had previously taken jewelry to be sized there and now that I know they''re idiots I wonder if they were the ones who chipped a diamond ring I had sized.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Both FGA and FCGmA are both respected gemological credentials entirely comparable and in some ways better than the GG from GIA.

Just out of curiosity, why did you hire 2 separate appraisers?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 8:13:15 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Both FGA and FCGmA are both respected gemological credentials entirely comparable and in some ways better than the GG from GIA.

Just out of curiosity, why did you hire 2 separate appraisers?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Thank you for your input Neil, it has put me more at ease.
I hired 2, because I only have a short time before my return period with this stone, and wanted to have absolute confirmation. At the time I wasn''t sure which particular gemologist certifications were up to snuff either, so I figured I might get at least 1 good appraisal out of the 2. I was also curious to see what difference in appraised insurance values I would see, and as it turns out the difference was negigible - $500.

In response to the individual who thought it strange the appraisal was $11,000 (btw this is Canadian currency) over, perhaps such is the case when you import an internet diamond from the States into Canada and have it appraised & compared to the local Canadian market. As well, If it makes any difference, the appraisal value was with the platinum setting as well. I see many local B&M stores markup comparable quality at retail to what I have at $2000-4000 above the price I paid. I truly think I got a great deal!

Just to throw one more tidbit, the company I purchased off of provided a verification report from an appraiser with a total value (diamond + platinum) about $6000 USD over what I paid.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 2:02:41 PM
Author: pepsi_corp

Just to throw one more tidbit, the company I purchased off of provided a verification report from an appraiser with a total value (diamond + platinum) about $6000 USD over what I paid.
Sometimes I wonder how much of a seller''s appraisal is actually part of ''marketing''...to evoke a ''feel good'' effect or counter ''buyer''s remorse''...
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results