shape
carat
color
clarity

Should you even BOTHER posting on SMTR until you have pics in hand?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:59:49 PM
Author: Maisie
Date: 4/13/2009 3:57:16 PM

Author: Addy

CADS should go in RT.

I''m still not repentant but I will post them in RT in future
9.gif

And you shouldn''t be! I felt pressured with all of TGal''s questions and had to make a split second decision. I waffled and chose RT. Now I''m doubting myself!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never do.

After all, the title of the forum is "SHOW me the ring," not "TELL me about the ring"
3.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No! When I check out the ''Show Me The Ring'' forum, I want to see some bling!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 4:17:21 PM
Author: Addy

And you shouldn''t be! I felt pressured with all of TGal''s questions and had to make a split second decision. I waffled and chose RT. Now I''m doubting myself!
I got the CAD image in an email and I just couldn''t wait to show it off. My husband is the type to go ''Yeah its nice'' .... without really glancing up from his PS3!

I can see why people think they should go in RT. I always thought that they should go there if you need help in changing some detail or aspect of the ring.

I love that people posted comments about the CAD though. Its nice to have like minded people to share with.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just show the ring and write up basics such as color, clarity and cut (but not indepth specs like angle % and all that).

The boxes are a waste of time. It perplexes me that people will spend all that time taking photos of boxes and uploading them to their computer and then PS. I don''t even bother looking at them.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to add a dissenting opinion!
3.gif

I agree - SMTR means SHOW - there should be pics.

But, I don''t really mind the unpacking photos! For a lot of people (me included, before I did it), purchasing something online is a little unnerving. I actually like seeing how things are shipped/packed/boxed, and what comes in the box. I agree, if it goes on a long time, I lose interest - but I don''t mind the boxes in SMTR.

CADs - when I posted my mom''s ring, I started with a ton of CADs - not because I wanted to make the thread more dramatic, but because I LOVE seeing what the CAD looks like before the real deal in other threads, and I thought it was interesting (at least to me) to see how it all came together. It''s kinda like starting with a photo of the naked diamond, then a WF pro pic, and then the ring on the hand, which I don''t mind, either.

Now - a ? I''ve been wondering - is it annoying when people post items that aren''t rings in SMTR? I feel like there''s been a shift since I first joined that any jewelry piece can show up in SMTR, where it used to be predominantly e-rings.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that it''s any new jewellery item or if people are looking for something in particular it gets posted in the SMTR. A lot of regulars have engagement rings and have moved on to other items. I might miss them if they were posted elsewhere.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL @ 24+ pics being too many, my last upgrade thread and LYNN's had like 100? MORE? Crazy..crazy...crazy.

At this point after 6 years here...I feel like I have seen every ring, necklace and earring ever known to man, every which way, upside down, inside out, show me the holes in your eternity band, closeup of your ear lobe hair, freckles on your skin magnified at 40x. Digi cameras are good and BAD at the same time hehee.

No on the packing, box, Fedex pictures unless you are also in the photo with a costume on.
No on CADs...if they are work in progress they should go in RT for 'discussion'.
No on MOST threads without pics unless it's meant to be fun or a joke (APRIL FOOLS!) or something because otherwise it's just like 'hey i bought a ring!' *crickets for three days*.... that's the wrong kind of teasing! Inferactive teasing is fun.

Oh and the more descriptive the better in the subject line for SMTR. If I have 2 minutes and I am determining WHAT to click, I wanna know what I want to spend my 2minutes on (aka 5c WF STUNNER SEE PICS NOW!!!)
30.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 5:34:57 PM
Author: Mara
LOL @ 24+ pics being too many, my last upgrade thread and LYNN''s had like 100? MORE? Crazy..crazy...crazy.

At this point after 6 years here...I feel like I have seen every ring, necklace and earring ever known to man, every which way, upside down, inside out, show me the holes in your eternity band, closeup of your ear lobe hair, freckles on your skin magnified at 40x. Digi cameras are good and BAD at the same time hehee.

No on the packing, box, Fedex pictures unless you are also in the photo with a costume on.
No on CADs...if they are work in progress they should go in RT for ''discussion''.
No on MOST threads without pics unless it''s meant to be fun or a joke (APRIL FOOLS!) or something because otherwise it''s just like ''hey i bought a ring!'' *crickets for three days*.... that''s the wrong kind of teasing! Inferactive teasing is fun.

Oh and the more descriptive the better in the subject line for SMTR. If I have 2 minutes and I am determining WHAT to click, I wanna know what I want to spend my 2minutes on (aka 5c WF STUNNER SEE PICS NOW!!!)
30.gif
Still not sorry
9.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I agree... I like descriptive titles. If I''m feeling ADD, I want a title that will let me know what I''m about to look at!

And I agree with everyone else... Don''t post unless you have pictures. No boxes. No CADs.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree on the title of the thread point. If you put as much info as possible into the title it makes it easier if someone is doing a search for something specific.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I like opening up a thread to see clear pictures of the ring and setting. I don''t enjoy watching the striptease. I don''t enjoy threads that show blurry pictures taken from a mobile phone camera or without the macro setting. I don''t mind seeing pictures of the same ring. Honestly, after after being on the forum for a couple of years, I hardly visit the SMTR forum anymore because I have seen so many of the designs available in the market. It really helps that there is a summary thread of all the bling so that I can just drop by once in the while to catch up on pictures that I have missed,

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, don''t bother posting in SMTR unless you have pics!

I don''t mind CADs in SMTR though, so no worries Maisie!
3.gif

And I don''t mind the striptease with the unpacking-I think it''s fun and cute, actually-but of course I scroll down quickly to get to the ring shots! And there is no such thing as too many pictures, if you ask me!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:45:39 PM
Author: thing2of2
No, don''t bother posting in SMTR unless you have pics!

I don''t mind CADs in SMTR though, so no worries Maisie!
3.gif

And I don''t mind the striptease with the unpacking-I think it''s fun and cute, actually-but of course I scroll down quickly to get to the ring shots! And there is no such thing as too many pictures, if you ask me!
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, no pictures, no showing!

I got my wedding gift from Mr. Kama last week - 1.5ct shared prong bracelet bangle from WF, but I still haven''t taken any hand shots. I''ll post after I get all my pics!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 4:38:09 PM
Author: Elmorton
Now - a ? I''ve been wondering - is it annoying when people post items that aren''t rings in SMTR? I feel like there''s been a shift since I first joined that any jewelry piece can show up in SMTR, where it used to be predominantly e-rings.
Interesting! I''ve always thought anything should go in there. Should the other types of pieces go in jewelry pieces, do you think?

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''ll start a SMTR thread tomrrow with photos of my new wedding band and I am SOOOOO tempted to follow all the NOs on this thread.

Lets see, I''ll start with 10 photos of the FedEx box followed by 15 blurry camera phone photos. Then I''ll move the ring from flower to flower, surface to surface making sure that every photo looks the same. There would have to be about a dozen or so of those. That way I''d be breaking they "don''t post too many photos" rule at the same time.

Haha. If only I had CADs to start off my thread. It would be PERFECT!
27.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:04:39 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
Mara, I agree... I like descriptive titles. If I''m feeling ADD, I want a title that will let me know what I''m about to look at!
I agree with this as well... it''s good for future reference, as well. If I do a search for "tiffany jazz" I''m going to click on the threads that say "tiffany jazz" in the title.

Speaking of which, my wband thread is titled "musey''s wedding band" or something, no mention of what it is, because it was a surprise reveal (oh the ego
20.gif
3.gif
lol). I should msg admin to change it to "musey''s wedding band: tiffany jazz 2mm" or something.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:48:47 PM
Author: kama_s

I got my wedding gift from Mr. Kama last week - 1.5ct shared prong bracelet bangle from WF, but I still haven''t taken any hand shots. I''ll post after I get all my pics!
Oh yay, I can''t wait to see them, aww, what a sweet hubby!! agg, hurry and take pics
3.gif
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:54:25 PM
Author: EricaR
I''ll start a SMTR thread tomrrow with photos of my new wedding band and I am SOOOOO tempted to follow all the NOs on this thread.

Lets see, I''ll start with 10 photos of the FedEx box followed by 15 blurry camera phone photos. Then I''ll move the ring from flower to flower, surface to surface making sure that every photo looks the same. There would have to be about a dozen or so of those. That way I''d be breaking they ''don''t post too many photos'' rule at the same time.

27.gif
3.gif

As long as there are pics at all, I don''t get annoyed. I do get annoyed at the threads with a perfectly descriptive title like "Leon pave split shank halo" that I click on expecting to see pictures of a Leon pave split shank halo... but all I see is a post saying "We just ordered one!"

I have to admit those threads make me go
33.gif
I know that they''re excited, but I have to say sharing that on SMTR makes me confused.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 6:56:10 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 4/13/2009 6:48:47 PM
Author: kama_s

Oh yay, I can''t wait to see them, aww, what a sweet hubby!! agg, hurry and take pics
3.gif
3.gif
Aye aye captain! Maybe tomorrow, hopefully the sun is out so I can get semi-decent snaps!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lets see, I''ll start with 10 photos of the FedEx box followed by 15 blurry camera phone photos. Then I''ll move the ring from flower to flower, surface to surface making sure that every photo looks the same. There would have to be about a dozen or so of those. That way I''d be breaking they ''don''t post too many photos'' rule at the same time.

27.gif

LOL! See if you find a similar ring with CAD photos and borrow them for your purposes.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:53:14 PM
Author: musey

Interesting! I''ve always thought anything should go in there. Should the other types of pieces go in jewelry pieces, do you think?
I don''t mind if there are items other than rings in SMTR. It''s nice to have all the "show me''s" in one place.

I also agree that the descriptive titles are really helpful. I do a lot of searching and it''s so much easier to search by the title of the thread.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 7:40:32 PM
Author: onedrop

Date: 4/13/2009 6:53:14 PM

I don''t mind if there are items other than rings in SMTR. It''s nice to have all the ''show me''s'' in one place.

I also agree that the descriptive titles are really helpful. I do a lot of searching and it''s so much easier to search by the title of the thread.
Maybe we should change the title to Show Me the Bling! Then it''s all-encompassing
9.gif

And I agree- no SMTR without photos
38.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock

27.gif
Remember to start by creating a thread and leaving it empty for a week
9.gif

The only thing I can''t stand is blurry pictures. Learn to take pictures or don''t post them. If you don''t have a proper camera, don''t post.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We could call this the "Things Dee Did Wrong With Her Earring Post Last Week" thread...

Title: So when you go cross country skiing... in the dark... drunk... --> C'mon people; you don't find that descriptive?
3.gif

Pictures: Everything BUT the finished earrings for the first 24 hours because I couldn't find a way to get the pic from WF small enough. Who doesn't love a good 40X image??
1.gif

Not a ring: But they are earRINGs. If you incorporate the word RING in the item does it count?
9.gif

CAD: This seems to be the only bad thing I didn't do. Maybe I can get WF to mock up a CAD for me and I'll add it to the thread.
11.gif

Oh wait! I didn't post a pic of the Fed Ex box either. But I still have it down in the recycling bin... Maybe I will add that to the thread with the CAD mock up.
12.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 7:00:13 PM

27.gif
3.gif

As long as there are pics at all, I don''t get annoyed. I do get annoyed at the threads with a perfectly descriptive title like ''Leon pave split shank halo'' that I click on expecting to see pictures of a Leon pave split shank halo... but all I see is a post saying ''We just ordered one!''

33.gif
I know that they''re excited, but I have to say sharing that on SMTR makes me confused.

OMG can you imagine clicking on a subject that said ''5c WF stunner in here!!!!!'' and have it be ''we just ordered it''???
23.gif
Now THAT would be torture. For ME anyway.

re: descriptive titles, that is why I like them, for ease of searching later. Half the time I can''t remember what belongs to who and if I remember one or two descriptors in the title then it helps me find the thread...PS has sooooo many.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:14:23 AM
Author: Mara

Date: 4/13/2009 7:00:13 PM

27.gif
3.gif

As long as there are pics at all, I don''t get annoyed. I do get annoyed at the threads with a perfectly descriptive title like ''Leon pave split shank halo'' that I click on expecting to see pictures of a Leon pave split shank halo... but all I see is a post saying ''We just ordered one!''

33.gif

OMG can you imagine clicking on a subject that said ''5c WF stunner in here!!!!!'' and have it be ''we just ordered it''???
23.gif
Now THAT would be torture. For ME anyway.

re: descriptive titles, that is why I like them, for ease of searching later. Half the time I can''t remember what belongs to who and if I remember one or two descriptors in the title then it helps me find the thread...PS has sooooo many.
What, you mean you don''t like titles like "I got my ring!"
2.gif

I agree on the descriptive titles. Sometimes I know whose ring it is but it''s a poster who''s been around awhile. No way I can search through all her posts. Unique descriptive titles make it so much easier to reference.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG
you re wanted on who''s who forum.
28.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:31:00 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
TG
you re wanted on who''s who forum.
28.gif
Oh goody DF...I''ll go make some more "pointless" posts over there.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results