shape
carat
color
clarity

Should lighter airline passengers pay less? (no politics)

Should lighter airline passengers pay less?

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This issue is not going away.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20161020-should-obese-passengers-pay-more

Sure we are all equal, but Carl Jung said something like ... Being equal does not mean are the same.
Clearly, especially today more than ever, our weight is not the same.
Some ticket buyers weigh half, a third, a quarter, a fifth or less than other passengers.

Jet fuel is expensive, hence a large percentage of the price of a ticket.
Should we each pay only for the fuel we use?
IOW should lighter passengers pay less, and heavier passengers pay more?

I'm heavy and I vote, yes.
We should each pay for the fuel we use.
I don't mind that they weigh me at the gate.
I'm not a special snowflake.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Should lighter airline passengers pay less? (no politics

Nope.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

No. But -

If a person is so heavy that he cannot fit into one seat and encumbers the person next to him, then he should be required to pay for two seats.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1477019175|4089120 said:
No. But -

If a person is so heavy that he cannot fit into one seat and encumbers the person next to him, then he should be required to pay for two seats.

Hmm.

Howz 'bout jet outfitted with 3 seat sizes, large, medium, and small ... each priced accordingly?

They could plan the jets so the ones with more large or small seats would start at places with more small, or more large, people.
For instance the American South, and Samoa, haver more larger people.
Japan has more smaller people.

Why get all sensitive and offended by what's true? :confused:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1477019491|4089121 said:
No. But -

Hmm.

How's bout 3 seat sizes, large, medium, and small ... each priced accordingly?

Have you ever taken a long flight, and the person next to you overlaps into your space?

I have, it is is very uncomfortable.

Where are my rights not to have his body touching mine?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1477019708|4089122 said:
kenny|1477019491|4089121 said:
No. But -

Hmm.

How's bout 3 seat sizes, large, medium, and small ... each priced accordingly?

Have you ever taken a long flight, and the person next to you overlaps into your space?

I have, it is is very uncomfortable.

Where are my rights not to have his body touching mine?

That sucks.
I'm discussing solutions to that problem.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

And I gave it to you.

If a person cannot fit into the space designated for one seat, he should be required to buy two.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1477019920|4089124 said:
And I gave it to you.

If a person cannot fit into the space designated for one seat, he should be required to buy two.

And (as you put it), I "gave it to you". :roll: ........ Seat prices: small, medium, and large.

... and shouldn't you write he OR she?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1477020139|4089125 said:
And I gave it to you.

And (as you put it), I "gave it to you". :roll: ........ Seats prices: small, medium, and large.

I guess I am just old. I learned to use "he" when you did not know the sex of the person.

And who would determine whether I am small, medium, or large? Would he have a tape measure and a scale?

What about people who buy and print their tickets on line, sight unseen.

It would be the honor system, and you should know and be honest when ordering your tickets to avoid an uncomfortable situation later on.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And I gave it to you.

And (as you put it), I "gave it to you". :roll: ........ Seat prices: small, medium, and large.

I can see some kind of discrimination flag being waved with that; someone who should have bought a large seat but thinks they fit a medium or even a small. Could you imagine the argument at the airport when someone is told they need to pay extra for a ticket on the spot because the airline deemed them to big for the seat they bought?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1477020731|4089128 said:
And I gave it to you.

And (as you put it), I "gave it to you". :roll: ........ Seats prices: small, medium, and large.

I guess I am just old. I learned to use "he" when you did not know the sex of the person.

And who would determine whether I am small, medium, or large? Would he have a tape measure and a scale?

It would be the honor system, and you should know and be honest when ordering your tickets to avoid an uncomfortable situation later on.

Paying a fixed price online will become a thing of the past.
We all will step onto a scale at the ticket counter or gate.
Everyone will pay by the pound.
There will be no gender or weight discrimination: currently lighter than average people are discriminated against.
That's not fair.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1477025066|4089132 said:
And I gave it to you.

I can see some kind of discrimination flag being waved with that; someone who should have bought a large seat but thinks they fit a medium or even a small. Could you imagine the argument at the airport when someone is told they need to pay extra for a ticket on the spot because the airline deemed them to big for the seat they bought?

Paying a fixed price online will become a thing of the past.
We all will step onto a scale at the ticket counter or gate.
Everyone will pay by the pound.
There will be no gender or weight discrimination: currently lighter than average people are discriminated against.
That's not fair.

I'm heavier than average so it takes more fuel to lift me 6 miles into the sky.
My ticket should cost more, and my ticket should should cost less then those heavier than me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1477020731|4089128 said:
And I gave it to you.

Ruby, don't you ever step outside or think outside of what you've been taught, or what's outside your comfort zone? Maybe you don't have to, and maybe it IS because you're old...I don't know. I'm sincerely not trying to badger you or even bother you on this website, but the things you say here are so archaic to me that I just really want to know where you're coming from.

For me, until a person was overlapping their own paid-for seat and infringing on MY space that I'd paid for, I wouldn't say anything. Coach is not easy travel. First class is way easier if you've flown that way or been bumped up--and then you're completely spoiled/ruined! But coach...yeah, you have to put up or shut up, really. To pay by weight? ugh. Nope. What a shitty can of worms to open.

My "boss" (I use that term loosely because I am mostly an indie contractor) could stand to lose 200 lbs. But he could also afford (and often does) to charter his own private plane. There are countless others though, who don't have that kind of money and need to fly coach and "inflict" their flesh upon the rest of us. Well, guess what? Flights continentally are relatively short. I'm sure we'll all make it through having to be crammed in like sardines, same as we do every other form of public transpo. Subway? El? Taxi? Jeez.

here's what would better humanity: a bit of compassion and a lot less selfishness. :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

And I gave it to you.

Actually Jordy that already happens now to what the airlines term as "obese people" in Australia and around the world, they can already, by some airlines be asked to pay for two seats.

Generally lighter people have never paid less the exception of course is children who might have children's fare prices and babies if they are held and do not take up their own seat, and the article isn't about lighter people paying less, it's about making heavier people pay more....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And I gave it to you.

Airlines could just price by weight.

X dollars per pound.

If I think I weight 230 pounds I pay that price online.
But if I weight only 220 at the airport they'd refund a few bucks to my credit card.
If I weigh 240 they charge more to my CC.

Nothing personal.
Just charge per pound.

They could call it fair fares. :mrgreen:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Airlines as a rule don't care if you are under weight, you still take up a seat so there will always be a standard fair for standard sized people, the issues is twofold, one that a extremely overweight person takes up more than one seat, and secondly when a pilot takes off they have to calculate fuel to cargo ratios, so if the plane is full of heavy overweight people and it's say a small aircraft this does actually become an important issue for safety, particularly if they miscalculate the overall weight of the aircraft.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny: So, your idea has merit. But, from a marketing standpoint? It would NEVER fly! No one likes to think of themselves in terms of weight, or size. Simplistically? Your idea is feasible and good. But from a paying customer's perspective? Will never happen.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1477026214|4089136 said:
... a bit of compassion and a lot less selfishness. :wavey:

I agree.
It's so selfish for us heavier people to expect lighter people to keep "carrying our weight" by paying more than their fair share for fuel.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think a lot of airlines already have guidelines for what they consider is a "heavy" passenger. Someone who is tall, bigger or generally overweight probably isn't viewed in the same way as someone who is morbidly obese and honestly does weight the same as two or three people.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1477026794|4089140 said:
And I gave it to you.

Airlines could just price by weight. Will never work. Too sensitive and will turn people off.

X dollars per pound. No way. Imagine a woman who's been told all her life she needs to weight less--she'd never fly this airline. Lost customer, lost revenue.

If I think I weight 230 pounds I pay that price online.
But if I weight only 220 at the airport they'd refund a few bucks to my credit card.
If I weigh 240 they charge more to my CC.
It's all very common sense. But people are traveling for one of a few reasons: work, because they have to; pleasure, because they want to, or necessity, and again not because they want to.

Nothing personal.
Just charge per pound.

If only that's the way the world worked and we had set it up that way. Unfortunately, we haven't and we're always having to deal with the fact that we've set up these preconceived bullshit notions of how humans should behave and treat themselves and each other. Aint ife grand?
They could call it fair fares. :mrgreen:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So airlines would be potentially refunding hundreds of partial transactions a day? This seems like a rather half baked idea, that can actually freeze up your credit card sometimes. Not to mention making people get on a scale in public is sizeist and potentially rather degrading. And that's not me "not facing reality", part of the reality of being human is that sometimes you might have to squeeze next to someone on a plane or pay $22 more in fuel than your weight demands. Life goes on.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It has already happened. A small number of overseas airlines already weigh their passengers. And I know a number of airlines around the world, that either force obese passengers to buy another ticket or they force them to pay a "surcharge" for the extra weight. It is already happening around the world;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3194845/Heavy-handed-Airline-weigh-PASSENGERS-boarding-overweight-fliers-kept-plane.html

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1477027430|4089146 said:
So airlines would be potentially refunding hundreds of partial transactions a day? This seems like a rather half baked idea, that can actually freeze up your credit card sometimes. Not to mention making people get on a scale in public is sizeist and potentially rather degrading. And that's not me "not facing reality", part of the reality of being human is that sometimes you might have to squeeze next to someone on a plane or pay $22 more in fuel than your weight demands. Life goes on.

Sizeist?
Isn't it 'locationist' that another person can't share your seat?

Seriously, this is about how much fuel your weight gobbles up.
We are not equal.
Fuel is expensive.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1477027525|4089147 said:
It has already happened. A small number of overseas airlines already weigh their passengers. And I know a number of airlines around the world, that either force obese passengers to buy another ticket or they force them to pay a "surcharge" for the extra weight. It is already happening around the world;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3194845/Heavy-handed-Airline-weigh-PASSENGERS-boarding-overweight-fliers-kept-plane.html

It may be happening world-over, but it will NEVER happen in the United States. We are far too sensitive about the numerical calling-out of our weight here. It just won't happen.

Know your target. Know what you can and can't get away with. And trust, there's a giant marketing team getting all of your data on a constant basis to determine how sensitive your market is to this very thing. It's a science. Your opinion based on your own likes an desires? Moot.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1477028219|4089151 said:

It may be happening world-over, but it will NEVER happen in the United States. We are far too sensitive about the numerical calling-out of our weight here. It just won't happen.

Know your target. Know what you can and can't get away with. And trust, there's a giant marketing team getting all of your data on a constant basis to determine how sensitive your market is to this very thing. It's a science. Your opinion based on your own likes an desires? Moot.

IMO it will.
Like the new and despised charges for bags, sensitive American snowflakes will hate it but have no choice but get over themselves and get used to paying by the pound, though Madison Ave. marketing weenies will come up with a fluffy name to call it. :roll:
One brave airline will start.
Then others will quickly get onboard.

If you don't like it you'll be welcome to travel by train or ship --- which IMO will also eventually join this more-fair fare structure.

Fossil fuels are expensive, and will rise in price as we approach peak oil.
Then what? :o :knockout:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1477028476|4089152 said:

Know your target. Know what you can and can't get away with. And trust, there's a giant marketing team getting all of your data on a constant basis to determine how sensitive your market is to this very thing. It's a science. Your opinion is based on your own likes an desires? Moot.

IMO it will.
Like the new and despised charges for bags, we will hate it but have no choice but get used to it.
One brave airline will start, and others will quickly get onboard.

If you don't like it you'll be welcome to travel by train or ship --- which IMO will also eventually join this more-fair fare structure.

Oof! Supply and demand just flew out the window? Ok.

Looking at this concept from a marketing standpoint leads me to think we're a long way off from this concept coming into fruition.

But. I get what you're saying, (or whatever someone who came up with this idea is saying.) I'm pretty sure the Disney crowd, the Vegas crowd, and lots of other bread -n- butter fliers are going to raise a ruckus. I.e. white America is gonna pitch a fit cause they fat, y'all.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1477029077|4089153 said:
kenny|1477028476|4089152 said:

IMO it will.
Like the new and despised charges for bags, we will hate it but have no choice but get used to it.
One brave airline will start, and others will quickly get onboard.

Oof! Supply and demand just flew out the window? Ok.

Looking at this concept from a marketing standpoint leads me to think we're a long way off from this concept coming into fruition.

But. I get what you're saying or whatever someone who came up with this idea is saying. I'm pretty sure the Disney crowd, the Vegas crowd, and lots of other bread -n- butter fliers are going to raise a rucus. I.e. white American is gonna pitch a fit cause they fat, y'all.

I'm fat, but I won't pitch a fit because I'm not stupid or feel entitled to everything. :roll:
I'll quietly pay more to cram my fat @ss into a airline seat.

It's right.
It's fair.

Jet fuel is very expensive.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Australian AND US airlines have been charging people surcharges which in the industry is known as a "fat tax" for obese people or forcing them to buy another seat for years..... they might not publicise it widely but a lot of airlines have these policies already, Links;

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/airline-policies-for-overweight-passengers-traveling-this-summer/

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/none/airline-obesity-policies

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fair, guys, but you are the exception to the rule. You've accepted something. The rest of the population still has to provide their input in the form of their dollars (demand.)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marketing 101= take yourself out of the equation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results