shape
carat
color
clarity

should I wait to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikester

Rough_Rock
hello I am pretty set on a particular ring and setting now. The thing is ... my planned proposal is 4 months away. Should I wait several more months before buying? I guess my question is, will prices and availability change in this time period? Otherwise I could buy it now and just let it sit until the big day. Suggestions? Thanks!

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 1:50:38 AM
Author:mikester
hello I am pretty set on a particular ring and setting now. The thing is ... my planned proposal is 4 months away. Should I wait several more months before buying? I guess my question is, will prices and availability change in this time period? Otherwise I could buy it now and just let it sit until the big day. Suggestions? Thanks!
Price changes - depends where you''re buying it from. Reputable dealers - probably not. Malls - there''s probably an 80% off sale coming soon.

Really though, I wouldn''t leave it too close to the day unless it''s an regularly in-stock item - I had to completely change my whole proposal plan because of continual stuff-ups by the vendor. Just weigh up how much interest you''re losing forking out the money now.

The other thing to consider is the 10 day or whatever return policy. Can be good protection if she hates your choice.

Stebbo

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I don''t see a problem with buying now and sitting on it (its not like the diamond''s gonna rot...
31.gif
), so long as you have somewhere safe to keep it. I have no idea what budget you''re looking at, but you don''t want a $2,000 rock just sitting around, and definitley don''t want a $20,000 rock in an unsafe place for 4 months.

I bought my rock about a month ahead of the time I would eventually start having it set by a different vendor. I didn''t want a $12k rock sitting in a paper envelope in my underwear drawer, so I asked the vendor to keep it in their safe until I was ready for it to be sent directly to the vendor who would be setting my stone. I felt a lot better that way.

Of course, you can/should insure it when you get it, too - don''t need to wait until you give it to her for that.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are buying online, the price won''t change much.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
You might have better selection or availability now with Valentine''s Day around the corner. This is a prime "engagement date" so the inventory may be a bit better right now than say 2 months from now.

But with the season, that means the inventories will be constantly changing on almost a moment''s notice too. Stones going out/being sold, new stones coming in from the cutters and Grading Labs.

You''d have to be seriously interested in purchasing now for any broker to allow their stone to be called in on Memo for you to consider. If it''s an "In House" diamond, you''d have to be prepared to commit to purchase now as well. Or your likely candidate could easily disappear quickly.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you have found what you want now and you have your finances in order, i don''t think there is any reason to wait. on that same note, if a few extra months of savings will help in your purchase, then by all means, wait.
2.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock
If you have found what you want, I would go ahead and purchase (provided you are sure she will say yes and not want to change the shape or something!) Diamond prices from what has been posted, continue to rise. When you see it, get it - sometimes it can take months to find a stone (as it did for us), so I would hate for you not to be able to find what you wanted when the time came. I do agree with Belle though, that if it would help your finances to wait, then just keep an eye out on what stones are out there and get ready to pounce when you see what you want and you are ready!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results