shape
carat
color
clarity

Should i trust this online store?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maia

Rough_Rock
Hello again,

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of, or made any purchases from this online store:

www.jewelrycentral.com

The prices seem almost too good to be true in some cases but the "testimonials" seem quite good. Is it a company you knowledgeable folks would trust?

Thanks

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m just a Rough Rock too, but this site looks a lot like the Blue Nile site, but they don''t mention the cut of their diamonds. This is not good. I would stay far, far away!!!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
you could probably trust them, in the sense they most likely wont run off with your money. but i wouldnt reccommend buying from them

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 2:40:55 PM
Author:Maia
Hello again,
Just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of, or made any purchases from this online store:
www.jewelrycentral.com
The prices seem almost too good to be true in some cases but the 'testimonials' seem quite good. Is it a company you knowledgeable folks would trust?
Thanks
Hi Maia and WELCOME to Pricescope!
35.gif

It's always hard to judge from "customer testimonials" - would a business ever post bad reviews on their own website??

So I went to the BBB's online site and here is the record for Jewelry Central: BBB Record. They've had quite a few complaints against them, like 22 complaints in 36 months, for a range of issues.

What I don't like to see are the complaints that are "administratively resolved". This generally means the customer is not happy, but there's nothing more the BBB could do. There are so many reputable jewelers out there that there is no reason to do business with someone who has a less than stellar reputation.

You get what you pay for, afterall.
2.gif

kev_800

Shiny_Rock

Well, to this posting I would add that so long as you use a credit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo you should be fine. If they do not ship you what you ordered, or they don’t ship you the product at all, all you need to do is call your credit card company and contest the charge.

As far as wire transferring the money, there is some added risk there, and I wouldn’t trust just any site with a purchase as large as a diamond.

A bit off topic, but I purchased a set of highly discounted brand new audiophile speakers from a company in New York some months ago. When I got them, they were beautiful, and just like what was promised.... but the center channel speaker didn’t match the main speakers, they were different colors! I could tell they were genuine speakers, but the company obviously didn’t tell me they didn’t match because they wouldn’t have gotten the ‘sell’ I don’t let anyone push me around, much less some shady company operating off of a warf in new york/jersey, so I called up my credit card company, contested the charge, and sent the speakers back without an authorization #. I documented everything. Then I let them come to ME and negotiate. Well, I got everything I wanted and I didn’t even have to pay shipping.

Credit card companies very much have your back in a situation like that because online sales are a significant source of their income!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I bought a ruby and diamond 3 stone ring from them last year and in 15 minutes I had it packed back up and was heading to the post office. The ruby was that bad. And the setting was crooked and funky prongs. I would not buy from them again. But they did refund me quickly so I will say that they honored their return policy. However, I was charged a restocking fee. My fault, I did not read the fine print. I would never ever buy fromsomewhere that charges a restocking fee again.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
While they might have nice prices, it sounds like the quality and service is quite low. I think I''d avoid them.

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
Starreyed, I am very impressed by your due diligence. My only additional commit or rule of thumb that I use when I am shopping online with a new store is to see how long they have been in business, but I also try to make sure they have a brick and mortar....and finally I ask my gang at PS for their thoughts!
36.gif

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Kind of sketchy that they are ripping off Blue Nile''s site design. Not that it is a super original design, but I think it is pretty suspect.

Also, on a bunch of their items they say "this item is certified" --- except when you click, you learn that it is certified by THEM:

"This item has been inspected by our gemologists based on the standards set by the world''s foremost diamond grading laboratories (GIA, IGI, EGL), to ensure that it meets or surpasses the product specifications in terms of total carat weight, color, clarity, cut, construction and workmanship of the absolute highest quality."

BASED on the standards? Hmmmm....gives me the heebie jeebies...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 11:56:41 PM
Author: diamondhunter10
Starreyed, I am very impressed by your due diligence. My only additional commit or rule of thumb that I use when I am shopping online with a new store is to see how long they have been in business, but I also try to make sure they have a brick and mortar....and finally I ask my gang at PS for their thoughts!
36.gif
Thanks diamondhunter10!
2.gif
The BBB Online is such a useful tool - I make this a regular part of my decision process when looking at a new vendor or service provider, for just about anything.

I agree that the length of time someone has been in business is important too. Many times, a business has a lousy track record, so in order to mask their prior reputation, the business will change its name. May times the BBB catches up with this, but if it''s a really new business, they haven''t had enough time. Excellent point.

I hope Maia is getting the message!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results