shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I spend so much on a setting?

polandsprings

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 3/4 carat diamond online. I'm looking to get it set in the NYC area but the setting prices are pretty high. I'm looking for platinum solitaires that are Tiffany-like. I'm open to others, however.

I've called around and the stuller is around $900 whereas the Vatche is a little less than $2000. Is this the norm?

I spent $3k on the stone itself so does it make sense to spend so much on a setting?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you anticipate this being a forever ring, why not put more into the setting and get what you want?

Have you reached out to IDJewelry? I find their setting prices very competitive compared to other NYC vendors. They are lovely people to work with.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Yup, a platinum solitaire is going to run in that range. You might be able to find something cheaper, but it will probably be very thin and not hold up well.

If you want to spend less, go with 14k gold - it will be much cheaper.

I personally love platinum, and have a platinum setting that's worth more than my center stone (although that is mostly because of custom-cut sidestones). So no, I don't think $1-2k is unreasonable for a .75c stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm partial to the no name $500 solitare platinum setting that any jeweler can do for you.

I like to sink all of my money in the diamond. I have had a 14k 6 prong tiffany setting on my .75 original engagement ring, later changed to a 4 prong solitare and then a 4 prong solitare mount for my asscher and I haven't a clue what brand they are. Or if they even are a brand.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Polandsprings,

As suggested, you can into a 14K or 18K white gold setting right now and then upgrade the setting later if you prefer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results