shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I Reset this 3 stone?

summerlover76

Rough_Rock
I received this 3 stone 1/2 carat for my 30th birthday 15 years ago. It was made poorly by someone in the family ( which we no longer use) and I don’t love it, so I don’t wear it much. I was thinking of having this reset but I need some inspiration. Any thoughts on what I could do?
C323A68D-563E-434B-8E79-15356A59443E.jpeg 2B5492E6-9110-4997-B362-4B4E5A728FBD.jpeg C12B3E07-D7CC-4841-9405-27D422C2E467.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you give some idea of what styles you like? Do you still want it prong set? Do you like bezels? Gypsy set? Modern? Antique inspired? Custom or stock setting? Some direction of what you like, or your style, might help you get better answers.

summerlover76

Rough_Rock
Can you give some idea of what styles you like? Do you still want it prong set? Do you like bezels? Gypsy set? Modern? Antique inspired? Custom or stock setting? Some direction of what you like, or your style, might help you get better answers.

I wouldn’t mind prong, I do like the trellis setting but not sure if it would look good with such small stones. I find myself looking at bezel settings because they seem so comfortable to wear. I am also drawn to some antique looks

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That helps, thanks. So are the three stones combined a total of .50 ct? If so, do you know the size of the center and the sides. I would probably try to set these in bezels with millgrain. I agree, that a trellis might not be right for stones this size.
This is a fairly simple 5 stone, but you could do 3 with milgrain. Or add two stones if your budget allows.
5 stone bezel2.jpg

finished3stone1.jpg
or something like this to make the stones appear a bit larger.

tiffany_circled three stone.jpg
or have something like this antique Tiffany ring made. I had a ring like this one made at one point but my stones were actually too large so the ring came out bigger than I liked, so it might work well with smaller stones and give you more coverage.

I think there are lots of options.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a three stone bezel pendant? Or use the two diamonds for earring studs, the center stone for a pendant? Or use the two diamonds as sopped stones in a colored stone three stone ring. Or make a band using more diamonds or colored stones.

summerlover76

Rough_Rock
Maybe a three stone bezel pendant? Or use the two diamonds for earring studs, the center stone for a pendant? Or use the two diamonds as sopped stones in a colored stone three stone ring. Or make a band using more diamonds or colored stones.

I was thinking maybe using the smaller stones as earrings and the middle one as a pendant. I’ll have to look into this. I hate that the ring just sits in my jewelry box.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium

summerlover76,​

what is your budge for doing the reset? Or is sky the limit? Maybe that will help others with suggestion giving.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to much probably about $300 to $400 max

Then maybe a simple pendant and earrings are a good option. A local jeweler should be able to use stock settings and keep you in budget. I just had some studs reset in Stuller stock martini settings and it cost about $125 locally.

summerlover76

Rough_Rock
Then maybe a simple pendant and earrings are a good option. A local jeweler should be able to use stock settings and keep you in budget. I just had some studs reset in Stuller stock martini settings and it cost about $125 locally.

I would love to see?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see?

I don’t have a photo handy but my stones are larger and so I had an 8 prong setting. You would probably want a 3 prong martini or a 4 prong basket. You can look through the stuller website but it would help if you had an idea of the size of your stones. You could also look on their site for a jeweler near you who has their products.

M

MillieLou

I think a low-set semi-bezel 3-stone would be beautiful. Something like this:

1622393217410.png

M

MillieLou

I really love this! Is their a front view of this ring?

This is the only one I have. I found it on an internet search a few years ago when I was considering a very similar project, and saved the photos - so not sure who made the original. I think it's beautiful. 1622397041940_10671_half_bezel_set_three_stone_diamond_ring_angle.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your 3 stone as it is now and think it looks beautiful with your band. I’m sorry @summerlover76 for not being any help.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Does it have to be a ring? I keep thinking stones of that size would make a nice bracelet. like the one below or maybe even a cuff

Bangle_Bracelets_TG2023-0002.png

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
I think maybe you need to fine tune exactly what about the current setting you don't like (and what about the craftmanship is poor that you would like to address?). I like the look of the 3-stone on your finger and if I were to suggest a minimal change to fit your budget, it would be more delicate prongs and a slightly thinner band to help the stones pop. If it's the band that's not calling to you, maybe you can add engraving or switch out the shank for something more elaborate (no idea how that might jack up price though, just throwing out ideas). My only thought is that going to non-ring piece of jewelry will make the stone "presence" ratio shrink if that's a concern for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results