shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I remove 2 out of 6 prongs Gary Purple Sapphire ring

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize what is bothering me about this ring. There are too many prongs and I think it is overpowering the stone. I am going to ask my jeweler but wanted input here first. If the stone is held securely by the other 4 prongs could I safely have the two middle prongs removed? I think it would look much better. My blue sapphire ring also in a Stuller setting is very similar and is being held by 4 prongs no problem.

20151015_144949-1.jpg

20151015_145034-1.jpg

20140215_1.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Should I remove 2 out of 6 prongs Gary Purple Sapphire r

Pretty ring.
Which two prongs should you choose to remove? And imagining the as is placement of the remaining 4, would that bother you?
And how far down does the jeweler take off metal, leave the rhombus shaped metal at the bottom of prong or rework that as well?
Or are you thinking of reworking the whole set of prongs?
Interesting......

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My concern is that the stone will not longer be secure if the 2 middle prongs are removed due to the current placement of the prongs (the 4 end prongs have been moved further to the ends to allow room for the 2 middle prongs). I would double check with the bench first. Whilst there, I would also request that they set it lower in the setting as it looks to be sitting up unnecessarily high, if the height bothers you.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The two middle prongs would be removed leaving the kite shaped metal work holding the tiny diamond.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

No way, IMO, four prong settings are not safe, except on maybe a very, very small stone. That stone is too pretty to lose.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Chrono! I was wondering about the same thing regarding the placement of those 4 prongs. I would definitely ask them to lower it too. I hope they don't say they would have to redo the whole head!

Thanks Sonoma. I am very careful with my rings and this jeweler is a perfectionist so the remaining 4 prongs would be sturdy like my blue sapphire ring (which they did).

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock

Just a quick thought, since the jeweler is going to lower your sapphire perhaps he can make claw prongs for it? Or maybe yellow claw prongs?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That sounds great! They are pretty old fashioned and he said prongs should look like shiny round ball bearings. I will ask!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your ring is stunning as is. It truly is gorgeous and the sapphire's beauty is apparent regardless of the prongs. My vote is to leave it and not take any risks.

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I'm not as experienced with custom jewelry, but I just wanted to say that the sapphire is gorgeous!!!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really trust my jeweler's opinion and he said he doesn't see anything wrong with it. To redo the head to four progs would cost $200. I had it resized and am leaving it as it is! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results