shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I reject this H&A because of 33.9 CA?

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
I just learned after ordering this stone that H&A does not mean superior light performance but only reflects optical symmetry. So should I try to cancel it based on the 33.9 CA? IMG_7676.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
what makes it ok?

No signs of any cut precision issues.
If GIA graded this diamond, then the CA would be listed as 34° due to their rounding.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
No signs of any cut precision issues.
If GIA graded this diamond, then the CA would be listed as 34° due to their rounding.

I just thought the CA has to be at least 34 and ideally more like 34.5, no?

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Is it clean enough for your eyes and, maybe more importantly, your mind?

I mean do you think it’s very eye clean or do you think the obvious inclusion in the video will be obvious or somewhat obvious in person?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I just learned after ordering this stone that H&A does not mean superior light performance but only reflects optical symmetry. So should I try to cancel it based on the 33.9 CA? IMG_7676.jpeg

There are better diamonds out there. There are also worse ones. I personally would not choose CVD and I do think that crown angle is a bit shallow. HOWEVER, I have had HPHT stones with picture perfect angles on paper and the stone was a dud. A lot of it is your preference. If they have a good return policy then you can always see how it looks.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my few thoughts, and I'm no expert.

- There's no way you'll see those inclusions. I own an eye-clean SI1, though, so I'm really easy to "clean my mind" regarding inclusions.

- As someone of very limited means, budget is my #1 priority. But I also value my time and don't like wasting it. The hunt can be fun, and the hunt can be frustrating. If a stone is within budget, it leaps to the top of my list. Granted, with extra money, you can always always always pay more more more and get closer closer closer to "perfection."

- This one looks really good to my non-expert eyes. No tinge. Nice arrows on the enface view. Also doesn't seem to go dark under the table. Pavilion twist is an issue that comes up (I'm not great at spotting it), but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that (I think you look for black and grey triangles between the arrows on the en face view). Maybe @DejaWiz can comment on any evidence of that.

- I own a beautiful CVD, and I never cared about CVD vs HPHT. The growth mechanism is a single feature of the stone. If I bought diamonds by the bushel/pack/dozen, I might care. Some HPTPs are pristine, and some are junk. Some CVDs are awful, and some are exquisite.

- I've had relationships with people who are perfect on paper and who are duds in real life. Only you will know about the 33.9. No one looking at it will know. I'm a big picture person, and without knowing the 33.9, I sure didn't look at it and say, "Yup, there's a 33.9er."

- In the end, you want to have a long-term loving relationship with this stone. Years ago I asked Bashar, a reader/psychic/channeler (whatever label works for you) about the cosmic significance of diamonds. They replied "clarity of purpose, clarity of vision." We know ourselves best. Look within, and you'll sense whether or not this is meant for you. And we're all here to support and help you find clarity.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Can you spot any differences between these 2? One is 34.3/40.7 H&A and the other is 33/40.8

Don’t get too concerned over the numbers if it looks like it has good optical symmetry.

Beautiful example...thank you for posting this, 0-0-0!
Scooba116 - if you have *any* reservations or uneasy feelings about this diamond, then let's find you some alternative options to pick from that will bring your mind peace. If you're apprehensive towards this one now, then you very well may be going forward. Let us help you out.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Can you spot any differences between these 2? One is 34.3/40.7 H&A and the other is 33/40.8

Don’t get too concerned over the numbers if it looks like it has good optical symmetry.

@0-0-0 Love this example! I can't tell at all!

Is it then worth the chase of tight numbers?

Will those two stones show a difference in different lighting? Does the 33/40.8 work bc we're at the deeper end of the accepted pavilion angles? Is optical symmetry just something you pick up on those enface images of a video?

Please excuse all the questions. I'm a newbie trying to understand all of this.

Although numbers seem helpful, there definitely is a art to choosing a good MRB, and I'm eager to learn more about that aspect, too.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
No worries they are good questions and I’m still learning too.

I think numbers are helpful to narrow potential selections, but once good videos and ASET images are available for comparison I don’t see much value in comparing numbers. At the end of the day, it’s the performance of the actual diamonds that matters, not the lab reports.

Without checking on color from the side or the inscriptions, the only way I can reliably tell the 34.3/40.7 H&A and 33/40.8 apart in person is that the 33/40.8 shows more obstruction faster at closer than 6 inches. They perform similarly otherwise in all lighting that I have access to.

At the time of purchase I was looking specifically for a well cut faint blue G and the 33/40.8 met the criteria at a bargain price. I look for good optical symmetry in the face up images/videos, and check with my ASET when I have the diamonds in hand.

ASET images with depth/table percentages and crown/pavilion angles for reference.

61%/55.5% 33/40.8 IGI

61.3%/57% 34.3/40.7 IGI H&A

To emphasize the point that numbers on the lab reports don’t tell the full story, see how much more precise the ASET image of the AGS 0 below looks in comparison with similar numbers.

61.1%/56.9% 34.6/40.7 AGS 0

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock

I’m guessing for fun. Left 34.3? Whatever the left one is, my eyes definitely prefer that stone. Great post.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@0-0-0 what was the price difference between the two?

Those ASETs are amazing! So true that at the end of the day, we’re looking at performance - neither lab certificates nor any other paperwork. Appreciate all the info!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
@Runningmama 34.3 is indeed on the left. 33/40.8 sits just outside the GIA EX/AGS 0 box so at least according to GIA/AGS there should be a visible difference. I just don’t see enough visible difference in person other than more obstruction at closer than 6 inches.

@0515vision I paid around 10% less for the 33, but the 33 was purchased months earlier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results