shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I purchase this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

burberrymeup

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ve been lurking on this forum for quite some time now and have been pleasantly entertained and have learned soo much
1.gif

Please give me your expert opinions on this stone that I''m considering purchasing. The HCA score is 1.3 which I know is good, but what are the other specs saying? Is it a good/bad thing that the Table % is slightly greater than the Depth %? Please tell me everything I should know before making the big purchase. Thanks so much
9.gif

Report - GIA
Shape - Round Brilliant
Carat - 1.21
Measurements - 6.98 - 7.06 x 4.11
Clarity - VS1
Color - H
Depth % - 58.5
Table % - 60
Crown Angle - 32.5
Crown % - 13
Pavilion Angle - 41
Pavilion % - 43.5
Girdle - Thin
Culet - None
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Excellent
Cut - Excellent
Fluorescence - None

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price? Have you seen it?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like the appearance of stones that have a depth of 60-62 and a table of 54-57, but your stone could be beautiful as well and it has a nice spread or a visually large appearance for the carat weight.

burberrymeup

Rough_Rock
The diamond is $7,500. I did get a chance to see it and it looks very nice to me, but that doesn''t say much because most diamonds look good to this newbie
9.gif

Apocalypse

Rough_Rock
I know very little about about brilliants but I found this info that may be helpful

"Premium Cut" "Tolkowsky Ideal Cut" Excellent Ideal Cut"

Total Depth 58.8% - 63.8% 58.0% - 63.8% 59.2% - 62.4%

Table Size 58.0 - 61.0% 53.0% - 58.0% 52.5% - 58.4%

Crown Height 13.0% - 17.0% 14.2% - 16.2% --------------

Crown Angle 32.7° - 36.3° 33.7° - 35.8° 32.5° - 35.4°

Pavilion Depth 41.7% - 45.0% 42.2% - 43.8% 41.5% - 44.4%

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Table Width 53%
Total Depth 59.3%
Crown Angle 16.2% or 34° Degrees
Pavilion Depth 43.1% or 40°
Girdle Edge Extremely Thin

That''s the Tolkowsky cut as he saw it.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 3:01:16 PM
Author:burberrymeup

Hi, I''ve been lurking on this forum for quite some time now and have been pleasantly entertained and have learned soo much
1.gif

Please give me your expert opinions on this stone that I''m considering purchasing. The HCA score is 1.3 which I know is good, but what are the other specs saying? Is it a good/bad thing that the Table % is slightly greater than the Depth %? Please tell me everything I should know before making the big purchase. Thanks so much
9.gif

Report - GIA
Shape - Round Brilliant
Carat - 1.21
Measurements - 6.98 - 7.06 x 4.11
Clarity - VS1
Color - H
Depth % - 58.5
Table % - 60
Crown Angle - 32.5
Crown % - 13
Pavilion Angle - 41
Pavilion % - 43.5
Girdle - Thin
Culet - None
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Excellent
Cut - Excellent
Fluorescence - None
Hi Burberry,

It looks to be a very bright stone. Does the grading report indicate the cut grade? Depending on the other factors it could be a GIA EX in cut, if pedigree is important to you. The AGS cutting guidelines, which are strict, predict this configuration to result in an AGS1-2 in light performance, so it appears to be a nice candidate. The table is larger than what we commonly see discussed on PS but the overall configuration is good.

In practical terms the 60% table brings the crown height down a bit more than a ''near-Tolkowsky'' stone, but some people like this size table as it makes a diamond look ''spreadier.'' I imagine it''s balanced more towards overall brightness more than dispersion/fire (colored flashes). If you haven''t already done so, you should view it - or any diamond - away from jewelry store lights. See it in diffused light (office fluorescents for instance), natural daylight and indirect or soft light. It will probably be very bright. You may wish to compare it to diamonds with smaller tables/higher crowns which have slighty more fire but may not be as white-bright.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 10:47:55 AM
Author: Unearthed
Table Width 53%
Total Depth 59.3%
Crown Height 16.2% or 34.5° Degrees
Pavilion Depth 43.1% or 40.75° Degrees
Girdle Edge Extremely Thin

That's the Tolkowsky cut as he saw it.
Slight corrections
2.gif
Also, keeping in mind Tolkowsky's diamond had a knife edge girdle...when you project a thin, med or stk girdle onto his stone it increases overall depth and/or results in a larger table; keeping crown angle the same.

Burberry's stone is closer to a shallow "60/60" make than the near-Tolkowsky configs we typically see discussed on PS. The appeal of the diamond depends on its overall configurations. When you get away from the 'near-Tolk' numbers the parameters may not fit so well into charts of ranges which all compliment each other. It's a matter of give and take, and you can still wind up with some dynamite stones.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My 1.50 ct F VS2 has a 60% table and 59.7% depth and it is a great diamond, so no worries about the table % being slightly larger than the depth %. These stones have a nice spread and I get lots of compliments on mine. It is very sparkly. I have found that I need to keep my diamond very clean to keep it looking great. According to what I have been reading on PS, ideal cuts will keep their sparkle longer as they become dirty. So, that is one possible trade-off to getting a premium cut like this. But every diamond really needs to be kept clean to look its best. I clean my ring daily, so it always looks great. But if I didn''t, it looks awful pretty quick.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
My honest opinion is that you should not purchase this stone unless you can compare it side-by-side to stones with more ideal numbers.

With the PS discount, I'm pretty sure that this 1.18 H/VS2 ACA would be basically the same price. It faces up a little smaller, but will make up for it in cut (AGS000).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results