shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I pay $1500 more for a better girdle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yahui

Rough_Rock
The following diamonds seem very similar to me. Is it worth an additional $1500 for the second diamond? Any help is greatly appreciated!

First Diamond:
Princess Cut $14000
F
VS1
depth - 73%
table - 69%
GIA
girdle - tn-tk
culet - no
vg
vg
flour. - no
7.02x6.89x5.03

Second Diamond:
Princess Cut $15500
F
VS1
depth - 69.7%
table - 71%
GIA
girdle - tn-m
culet - no
vg
vg
flour. - no
6.98x6.92x4.82

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not entirely sure that it's the girdle measurement that's causing the price jump. Once you get to certain weights in diamonds (e.g. 1 carat, 2 carat) there's a jump in price.

Have you seen either stone?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also run the #'s through the DIY cut grader at www.gemappraisers.com to see what it has to say about both of them. If you haven't seen in person, may be hard to compare...but the numbers always help somewhat.
1.gif
I tend to agree with CG that it may not just be the girdle that is causing a price jump. One may be more well cut, or could be the carat weight over 2.0 etc.

yahui

Rough_Rock
Both diamonds are classified as Ideal cut on whiteflash but neither has the sarin report or the ideal scope pictures. If it's not the girdle, is it worth $1500 to get a .06 ct difference? Thanks for the replies!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
As Canadiangrrl said, there are 'magic sizes' at which the per carat price jumps. #1 will look as big as #2, but because it's shy of the 2 ct. mark, you'll save siginificant $$.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results