shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I or Not? Be honest

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone! I have an opportunity to purchase an authentic Tiffany semi mount with matching band to fit my James Allen diamond. It will be just under a carat. The size of the diamond is ok with me as a solitaire. Just simple. I've never had a platinum set, or a Tiffany anything. Can anyone weigh in on the setting and platinum and how you would feel about it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious as to how you have come across this. Did someone you know have the set and remove the original diamond? You seldom find an empty Tiffany setting - just checking to make sure it is legit!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your hold up? If you like the look of the Tiffany setting then yes, else no. I guess I don't understand the issue.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious as to how you have come across this. Did someone you know have the set and remove the original diamond? You seldom find an empty Tiffany setting - just checking to make sure it is legit!

I found it preloved on ebay. It will be authenticated before it ships to me.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it boils down to how important it is to you. Not a fully legitimate Tiffany ring of course, but if you like the setting that much, go for it. Not sure the price of it either; you might find other similar settings much lower priced. There is an allure to it but at the end of the day, not sure that it would scratch any Tiffany itch for me.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it boils down to how important it is to you. Not a fully legitimate Tiffany ring of course, but if you like the setting that much, go for it. Not sure the price of it either; you might find other similar settings much lower priced. There is an allure to it but at the end of the day, not sure that it would scratch any Tiffany itch for me.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Really, it's not all that it is T&Co, but the fact it's not supposed to be copied either lol.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
The wedding band will be all legit lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBH the Tiffany mount is copied SO often, and it’s SO rare to find a mount without the stone... Odds aren’t great that it’s authentic :(sad And Tiffany won’t authenticate portions of their pieces so the biggest question is really how much you’re paying and how much you trust this third party authenticator.

If the Tiffany name doesn’t matter to you and you just love the look of the mount - that’s a very different convo!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
TBH the Tiffany mount is copied SO often, and it’s SO rare to find a mount without the stone... Odds aren’t great that it’s authentic :(sad And Tiffany won’t authenticate portions of their pieces so the biggest question is really how much you’re paying and how much you trust this third party authenticator.

If the Tiffany name doesn’t matter to you and you just love the look of the mount - that’s a very different convo!
If it's not authentic, I can send it back. The price is great for both pieces!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing to lose taking a look then!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the setting then go for it. I had an authentic tiny (.25) tiffany solitaire + band that I found pre loved. It was too small for me so I sold it, but I LOVED the setting and kept the matching wedding band.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock

Both rings will be authenticated. Of course, my diamond is not a T&Co diamond, but it actually has a better color and cut than some of the actual ones. Plus, I highly doubt I could purchase a look alike in platinum for what I'll be paying for this. It will be probably May before I get my diamond set, but I'll keep y'all posted!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not difficult to find better diamonds than Tiffany's - one is paying a hefty premium for the brand name!

I have done a comparison with my own 1.19ct E VS1 emerald cut diamond with one of theirs which was smaller in size and lower in colour.

DK :))

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
It's not difficult to find better diamonds than Tiffany's - one is paying a hefty premium for the brand name!

I have done a comparison with my own 1.19ct E VS1 emerald cut diamond with one of theirs which was smaller in size and lower in colour.

DK :))

Absolutely . I already know I love my diamond. I hope I love this setting. I'm pretty sure this will be the closest I'll ever get to anything authentic Tiffany. Super nice seller and great return policy. I have nothing to lose, really.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings will be authenticated.

As @yssie writes above, this is not a thing. Anyone who says they can "authenticate" a Tiffany ring is ignorant or dishonest. (I am omitting fabulous historical one-offs from "real" Tiffany back in the day which are not cost-effective to copy -- but all the second-hand simple branded stuff is fake and nothing is more fake than eBay Tiffany and Cartier.)

For comparison to how this should be sold, we bought a '70s or '80s era gemstone ring with a hand-engraved Tiffany hallmark that I am fairly confident is genuine (It is tubular metal and can not be stamped). It was sold as (and I'm paraphrasing) "of course nobody can confirm that this is genuine Tiffany" and it did not have a Tiffany premium.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @yssie writes above, this is not a thing. Anyone who says they can "authenticate" a Tiffany ring is ignorant or dishonest. (I am omitting fabulous historical one-offs from "real" Tiffany back in the day which are not cost-effective to copy -- but all the second-hand simple branded stuff is fake and nothing is more fake than eBay Tiffany and Cartier.)

For comparison to how this should be sold, we bought a '70s or '80s era gemstone ring with a hand-engraved Tiffany hallmark that I am fairly confident is genuine (It is tubular metal and can not be stamped). It was sold as (and I'm paraphrasing) "of course nobody can confirm that this is genuine Tiffany" and it did not have a Tiffany premium.
There are definitely authentic tiffany pieces on Ebay, especially from Japan where the rules about counterfeit goods are quite strict (from my understanding). But of course no one can be sure, and true authentication isnt possible, so hopefully OP isnt paying a premium for the tiffany brand

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results