shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I mention a custom ring irregularity to the jeweler?

Flowery

Rough_Rock
Long story short, I got engaged a year ago but only got around to wearing my custom engagement ring now because it was initially too big and with a loose center stone. Thanks to life and COVID, it took me a while to finally bring it in for tightening and sizing so that it was wearable. However, now that I’m wearing it, I noticed how wavy the band is, I guess irregularly overpolished. Based on the CAD specifications, the shank was supposed to be 2.4mm wide and, where it’s indented in the first photo (more noticeable since it doesn’t sit flush to a band), it’s probably under 2mm. Second photo shows the other side which looks fine.

Is it too far out to complain about this? Would this bother you at all? I’d love for you all to say it’s nothing to worry about, but I was concerned from the beginning about the quality control since the stone wasn’t properly set. Thanks!

D0C1BA40-556E-4C1E-B6D5-99D96A42B475.jpeg 660E6122-01CC-41B0-A8EA-4983EF355EB0.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think you are well within your rights to bring this up with the jewler
hopefully its an easy fix

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Hopefully they agree.

i don't know diddly squat about making rings but when i first worked in a hardwear store (a more tradional mom and pop kind of store before the arrival of the big boxes) i cut a lot of keys

(definatly less money involved than a ring but a HUGE profit margin once the key cutting machine is paid off)
....I know im going off on a tangent

about 70% of returns didn't even need a replacement, they just needed to be buffed for longer

so much of what doesn't work in so many products is in the finishing

so im crossing my fingers its an easy fix for your ring and everyone is happy

Flowery

Rough_Rock
i don't know diddly squat about making rings but when i first worked in a hardwear store (a more tradional mom and pop kind of store before the arrival of the big boxes) i cut a lot of keys

(definatly less money involved than a ring but a HUGE profit margin once the key cutting machine is paid off)
....I know im going off on a tangent

about 70% of returns didn't even need a replacement, they just needed to be buffed for longer

so much of what doesn't work in so many products is in the finishing

so im crossing my fingers its an easy fix for your ring and everyone is happy

That’s a neat job and interesting comparison! I hope you’re right. The jeweler was hard to work with, so I’m also just reluctant to go in again.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s a neat job and interesting comparison! I hope you’re right. The jeweler was hard to work with, so I’m also just reluctant to go in again.

oh bother about the jewler :(2
still i think you have to take a deep breath and bite the bullet because its going to bug you and you won't be able to ever unsee the uneveness on the band

its a lovelly ring btw

i lost all confidence cutting keys after a terrible customer - its one of those things you have to do a lot of and to keep doing on a regular basis
a regular house key blank is so cheap i think the staff price was one dollar !

good luck with the jewler

Flowery

Rough_Rock
oh bother about the jewler :(2
still i think you have to take a deep breath and bite the bullet because its going to bug you and you won't be able to ever unsee the uneveness on the band

its a lovelly ring btw

i lost all confidence cutting keys after a terrible customer - its one of those things you have to do a lot of and to keep doing on a regular basis
a regular house key blank is so cheap i think the staff price was one dollar !

good luck with the jewler

:) Thank you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I would let it bother me but I'm not that picky. I guess it would depend on how much I paid and what quality of work I was expecting to get.

I'm sure most would say bring it up to your jeweler if it bothers you.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So, what this guy lacks in skill, he makes up for in poor attitude?

I'd probably cut my losses and start over with a different jeweler, even though it would cost more. It sounds like there's a fair chance the current jeweler would just mess it up some more anyway. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Flowery

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure I would let it bother me but I'm not that picky. I guess it would depend on how much I paid and what quality of work I was expecting to get.

I'm sure most would say bring it up to your jeweler if it bothers you.

It was almost $1500 for the custom platinum setting. :( It initially seemed that they would give excellent service, but once paid, they didn’t seem to have much interest in doing good work.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was almost $1500 for the custom platinum setting. :( It initially seemed that they would give excellent service, but once paid, they didn’t seem to have much interest in doing good work.

I'm sorry! That's really sad:(2. I guess they dont count on return customers.

Flowery

Rough_Rock
Update: The stone got loose again, and I took it back, asking about stone tightening (again) and fixing the band. They said they couldn’t fix the band and suggested that my putting on my jacket without first taking the ring off was possibly the reason the stone was loose only after two weeks again. :/ So they just tightened it. I got it back, and it was still loose. So back to tightening, got it back and got home before realizing they gouged one of the prongs. :( I don’t know if I can go back there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: The stone got loose again, and I took it back, asking about stone tightening (again) and fixing the band. They said they couldn’t fix the band and suggested that my putting on my jacket without first taking the ring off was possibly the reason the stone was loose only after two weeks again. :/ So they just tightened it. I got it back, and it was still loose. So back to tightening, got it back and got home before realizing they gouged one of the prongs. :( I don’t know if I can go back there.

Yep, I think you should be done with them. Putting on your jacket with your ring on might be causing your stone to be loose??? What
kind of jeweler is this??? If they can seat a stone any better than that or at least come up with a better excuse, then they should close their
store.

Time to go elsewhere for a tightening. The only way to "fix" the band width issue* is to have the other shank polished down so its thin
and curved like the other side. Wearing a wedding band that does not have a flat might not show the curve as bad (I know that's a sorry
reason to not wear what you want but just trying to come up with some ideas).

I would write some reviews on the store. Stick to the facts.

*from my limited knowledge

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results