shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I MELT It, Sell It, or Wear It?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have this San Marco chain, 14 KT, that I've had since the 1980's. I never wear it anymore, so I'm thinking of melting it for ca$h.

It's 47 grams, according to our kitchen scale, and seems like it would melt for a decent amount of money, but I have no idea what that would be. On the internet, no one seems to want to say what they are paying per gram, and I'm hesitant to go into those weird cash for gold places. I am also hesitant to drop it in the mail to one of those mail in your gold places. Anyone have even a rough idea?

If I do want to melt it, should I send it to one of our trusted PS guys? Or maybe a NYC smelter like Ross Metals? Would that work?

On the other hand, I do sell on ebay, and maybe I would get more there. Would you buy a high ticket item like this from an ebay seller with 200+ ratings, 100% positive? What if they don't usually sell jewelry?

Should I try selling it to a local jeweler?

On the third hand :twirl: , maybe I should keep it and wear it. Is it in style? It's not really bulky, like some '80's jewelry, but on the occasion that is appropriate for this type of thing, I would probably wear a string of blingy pearls instead.

What do you think?

ETA: It's shiny and brushed yellow gold, if you can't quite tell from the photo.

necklaceLR.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
If I were to sell it to somebody locally I could get $1185, which is 75% of spot price (or around 80% of melt). Is there something else your heart longs for that the money could be used towards?

also, thanks for the kitchen scale idea! I never thought of that ::)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I would sell it-- contact trusted vendors for pricing-- and use that money to buy something I would wear more.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have a jeweler who sells estate pieces but also pays market value for gold to melt. I'd go to a trusted local jeweler and get quotes for both, then decide. I probably wouldn't wear it because it's just not my style at all, and it sounds like it's not yours either.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd wear it WITH SOME GREAT BIG HUGE GIANORMOUS PEARLS! oh, yes, i would!

does 14k is about 58% gold. while this site is not reflecting the current price of gold, it has some good info......especially since prices of gold are fluctuating.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4924582_gram-14k-gold-worth_.html

:(( :o 14k at $900 per gram of gold = $18 adjust to the whatever gold is now and its still not going to be a great sum.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sell it!

I wouldn't sell it on ebay though, what about consigning it? Though for the right price I'd melt it. It's not my style so I wouldn't wear it.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
If you haven't worn it for a while, then I don't think you'll suddenly start wearing it again. I sell via the method that yields the most!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i think worn with the right outfit this would be a wearable and classic piece in your jewelry wardrobe.If you can get more then you originally paid for it then that is an option also.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't sell anything that couldn't be replaced. You're lucky to have such a significant necklace. I don't think it 's a matter of the "right outfit". A San Marco is a classic link and a classic piece of jewelry. I still wear my San Marco bracelet, and I still wear my two Omega necklaces and you'd have to pull my gorgeous Tessere off of my cold dead neck! Pieces like that don't come and go. They get handed down to your nearest and dearest!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG I LOVE IT!! I would rock it.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd try it on, fiddle with it, and actively try to wear it a couple times and wait a little bit, maybe a couple weeks, to see if you really *do* wear it, and if so, if you enjoy wearing it. If it's a total fail, and you try to make yourself reach for it and instead grab the thing you really want to wear and it keeps sitting? There's your answer. Sell. I'm ruthless about selling stuff that sits in my jewelry box, actually- even if it's purty. ;))

Personally, I'd probably get a couple quotes on it locally, then try ebaying it for the highest quote. Gold is definitely reselling well these days, you might get closer to actual melt on ebay. I think if you show neck shots on your auction, and good pics, and write the auction coherently, you'll be fine selling it. Just be super careful to make sure you don't get screwed by your buyer, that's all- take the $ out of paypal quick when they pay, send it registered and insured, and so forth- but you probably know the drill!

Anyway, good luck! It's cool and I could totally see how someone who isn't me could wear it and make it look gorgeous- I wouldn't wear it either, it's not my style.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got $25 per gram for 14kt gold about 2 weeks ago.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
There's a San Marco necklace similar to yours on Lang's that's priced at over 5 grand. I've read a lot of fashion-related articles that say large-scale yellow gold pieces are going to be big this fall. I think it's gorgeous.
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/90-1-231

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is heavy, and noticeable. Unless it clutters your home, I would not sell it. I do not know what is in fashion and what is not, you will not be able to sell it at what it is worth. Unless you have a wonderful project you want to finance, I'd stick to it. I think such design will never get out of fashion.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would totally wear that with the right outfit! I would do what LGK suggested and try to reach for it for a month or so, and if you still aren't wearing it, get some quotes/estimates from vendors who buy gold and who sell estate pieces.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I would not melt this. It is a classic. If you honestly would never wear it, try to sell so this is not destroyed. Think about all the art deco pieces destroyed while they were out of fashion, doesn't it seem like a shame now?
It would be much admired being worn by people who know fashion. Yellow gold is definitely back in style, just so few can afford it.
BTW, measuring on your kitchen scale will not do. Gold is measured in troy weight ounces which are not the same as the ounces we use in our kitchen. You are not getting an accurate weight Any jeweller will weigh it for you. You should also get it appraised if you are thinking of selling as it one of those pieces that has value over the 'melt value'.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also hesitate to sell or melt something with that much gold, knowing I'd probably never be able to buy something of that scale again.

I calculate the gold in that necklace to be worth about $1635 at today's prices. Assuming that you have to pay about 20% for the transaction, you'd net about $1300. Of course the necklace is probably worth more than that as a piece of jewelry, but that might be a bottom line figure for you to play with. Do you have your eye on something worth that much that you'd enjoy more than the necklace?

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I would try to sell it on classifieds for the melt value. Figure based on 95% of the spot price because that's about the most you'd get from a mail-it-in place.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
try wearing it in the winter.....i don't think of this as a spring/summer necklace at all.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys!

It's good to have the baseline cash value, that is great to know. And I can't believe how expensive something so similar is selling for now! :shock: I paid $800 for it, back in the day.

I really want to sell it and buy some fabulous Tahitian pearls that I've seen, because I would actually wear them. I agree it's a classic, and
I used to wear it with my business suits, but I haven't worn a suit in years. On the other hand . . .

DH doesn't want me to sell it, since it's a commodity, and in case of armageddon, it would buy a loaf of bread. :D I told him that's a crock, it's for when we fight the robots and we need to buy an untraceable old-time modem without an FTP address. :lol: Then DD pointed out that the first thing the robots would do is turn off the power, because we are helpless without it, but then I said how would they recharge themselves and then . . .

I guess I'll just keep it a little while longer. ;))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it of any particular provenance? I'd be curious if a company like Langs would want such a piece, if they're selling something similar. If not see what melt value is and what you could get for it, or see if your local jeweler would take it on trade.

If you don't see yourself wearing it, there's not a lot of sense in keeping it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315777031|3015247 said:
Thank you guys!

It's good to have the baseline cash value, that is great to know. And I can't believe how expensive something so similar is selling for now! :shock: I paid $800 for it, back in the day.

I really want to sell it and buy some fabulous Tahitian pearls that I've seen, because I would actually wear them. I agree it's a classic, and
I used to wear it with my business suits, but I haven't worn a suit in years. On the other hand . . .

DH doesn't want me to sell it, since it's a commodity, and in case of armageddon, it would buy a loaf of bread. :D I told him that's a crock, it's for when we fight the robots and we need to buy an untraceable old-time modem without an FTP address. :lol: Then DD pointed out that the first thing the robots would do is turn off the power, because we are helpless without it, but then I said how would they recharge themselves and then . . .

I shared this post with my DH and he is in the other room cackling maniacally.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I actually think it is a really cool looking link.

With gold prices shooting up, what is a more luxurious look than chunky gold jewellery? I don't think it will be too much longer before this is a very "in" look. I saw a bit of it a NZ Fashion week this year - Young women in very current clothes with a chunky 80's style gold chain necklace or bracelet.

I reckon keep it and try to wear it.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315777031|3015247 said:
Thank you guys!

iLander, you are a TRIP!!!!!! I love the convos you, DH and DD have! What a treat and a riot!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! Too funny!!!! I can't wait to have convos like these with my DD!

I love your necklace - it would be such a shame to sell it. I'll bet it'll be en vogue when your DD is of age! :love:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sell! Use the $ for something you'll wear. Be sure before you go to sell, that you have the necklace weighed at a couple different shops to be sure their scales are calibrated!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would sell because I sold all my non-sentimental yellow gold! Almost any jeweler will buy it from you so it is easy to get price quotes. Also, most cities have businesses that buy gold and silver.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Its pretty in vogue right now as it is really. paired with a lovely simple dress, that would be lovely.

I think it is worth a lot more than the price that it will fetch, but you can get similar in costume if you need a strong reason to sell. It wouldn't be the same though. And PS is the last place where we need to convince ourselves about the merits of real jewellery!

Its a keeper for me. I'd only sell it if I really didn't want to spend more on frivolous (horrors) new gems, and this was just never gonna get worn and there was this thing I'd really like, and... heck secretly I think the robots would win anyway so might as well enjoy it now while it lasts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results