shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I make this pin into a pendant or a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I found this sweet little stickpin. It''s a 14K white gold butterfly set with tiny single-cut diamonds, with a yellow gold stem, I''d say probably from the 1930s? I''m not sure, & would be happy to hear other guesses. (Jewelerman? Anyone?)

Anyway, I''ve decided to make it into either a pendant or a ring. A pendant would be quite easy and cheap--I could just have the laser repair people cut off the stem and weld its stub to itself to make a bail.

A ring would require welding the butterfly to a white gold band, but I think it would be pretty easy too.

So which should I do? Opinions?

Photos to follow.

butterflypencil1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This is how it would look as a pendant (minus the pin stem, of course):

butterflyneck1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And here it is as a ring:

butterflypinring1.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm, gosh its pretty either way, but on the ring, do you think you might be bothered with the antennas catching on things? just a thought, maybe it will sit flush enough that it won''t. I just think of the weirdest things that i look for to make me think about doing one vs the other.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Good point, D&T! That makes me definitely lean toward a pendant.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go for a pendant. It would look adorable. I love butterflies.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were going to wear it, I would make it into the pendant. I love the size of the butterfly in proportion to the chain. It is quite unique, not the usual size of a pendant and, in my opinion, very pleasing to the eye. I think it is delicate, classic, and elegant. I love it.

AGBF

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Linda & Deb!

That''s three votes for pendant and none for ring--I think this will be an easier choice than I thought at first.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for a ring.
1.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pretty! Based on D&T''s logic, and also just plain old liking it against your throat, I vote pendant.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 3:22:54 PM
Author:glitterata
I found this sweet little stickpin. It''s a 14K white gold butterfly set with tiny single-cut diamonds, with a yellow gold stem, I''d say probably from the 1930s? I''m not sure, & would be happy to hear other guesses. (Jewelerman? Anyone?)

Anyway, I''ve decided to make it into either a pendant or a ring. A pendant would be quite easy and cheap--I could just have the laser repair people cut off the stem and weld its stub to itself to make a bail.

A ring would require welding the butterfly to a white gold band, but I think it would be pretty easy too.

So which should I do? Opinions?

Photos to follow.
GLITTER,
the butterfly would be nice as either.Im parcial to a ring.Period of time of design and manufacter.Im thinkin early to mid-1970s when stick pins came back in a big way!two-tone was popular,as was the butterfly motif in jewelry(nature and ecology were big themes in art around 74-76)and single cuts were still being used for affordable jewelry for the young jewelry buyer.I wore an art-deco gold stickpin with my iinitials in 77-78 in the lapel of my prom tuxes and cordaroy or angel flight suits during that time and the girls thought it was oh so cool (just like a rockstar!)Why not keep it original as a pin!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Aw, Jewelerman, I bet you were a cutie at the prom!

I have a lot of stickpins but I never wear them, because I essentially live in T shirts and jeans. I wouldn''t want to alter a pin that was really old or really carefully made or really unusual, but this little pin seems sweet but average, and I know I would wear it a lot more as a ring or pendant. So I don''t feel bad changing it. This way it''ll get a chance to fly again.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 9:41:24 PM
Author: glitterata
Aw, Jewelerman, I bet you were a cutie at the prom!

I have a lot of stickpins but I never wear them, because I essentially live in T shirts and jeans. I wouldn''t want to alter a pin that was really old or really carefully made or really unusual, but this little pin seems sweet but average, and I know I would wear it a lot more as a ring or pendant. So I don''t feel bad changing it. This way it''ll get a chance to fly again.
I WAS A HUNK-A-HUNK-A BURNING LOVE in my cinnimon colored tux one year and light blue tux with dark blue velvet trim the next!My dates were of course decked out in Gunnie Sac dresses with 4 inch platform shoes and yellow gold chains!Both years each of my dates wore the feathered Farrah Facet hair style and gold hoop earrings!Cant believe I remember all that!JM

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:31:09 PM
Author: jewelerman

I WAS A HUNK-A-HUNK-A BURNING LOVE in my cinnimon colored tux one year and light blue tux with dark blue velvet trim the next!My dates were of course decked out in Gunnie Sac dresses with 4 inch platform shoes and yellow gold chains!Both years each of my dates wore the feathered Farrah Facet hair style and gold hoop earrings!Cant believe I remember all that!JM

I wish you would post photographic evidence attesting to those interesting facts!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That butterfly is super cute. I''d go with a pendant.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I LOVE it as a pendant! That gets my vote. It is a perfect size for an everyday pendant.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t care for it as a ring. It looks somewhat child-like and I think the antennae would be annoying. I think it makes a darling pendant though. So my vote is for the pendant.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I vote pendant. It is such a sweet looking butterfly!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, the pro-pendant faction wins. Thanks for the advice, everybody! I''ll post a picture once it''s done.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
It's lovely, glitterata! I agree with the others, it would make a wonderful pendant! Can't wait to see pics when it's ready!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
pendant!

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
My first vote was for a pendant... but it is so cute, I might want to look at it all day!! So I think you should just walk around with a mirror aimed at your throat!! ;-) I vote for a pendant.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pendant gets my vote.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would also agree with the others and say pendant. I can''t wait to see how it turns out. I''m sure it will be beautiful and you can wear it as an everyday necklace since it is not that big.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I plan to take it to the jeweler on Wednesday and have it changed. Or maybe even today!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pendant!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to see it metamorphosize into a pendant.
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be a gorgeous pendant!!!

(I agree with HH that a ring would look child like). As a pendant, it''ll be a fun summer piece.

Where did you find it?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, my little butterfly pin is now a pendant. I had them bend the stem into a loop behind the butterfly.

It wants to hang at a somewhat downward angle, which is a little annoying, and it flips around a bit. I''m telling myself it''s just acting like a butterfly. And I like having the loop behind the butterfly, where it doesn''t show.

I have a feeling I''ll be wearing it a lot.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Neck shot. It''s not easy taking a picture of one''s own neck!

butterflyneck2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results