shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I have walked away from this

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rcl77

Rough_Rock
Thanks PS''er... I have posted one other thread on a RB.... then gf threw a curve ball and now would like a princess cut... I walked into D Gellar in Atlanta truly looking at settings. Which they began by giving the sales pitch about not making my purchase online... Which I''m comfortable using PS vendors... I decided on this setting (Verragio 7021). I told them my budget ($7500) and they came up with this diamond:

1.21 GIA Square Modified Brilliant E VS2
5.52 x 5.46 x 4.5
Polish VG
Symmetry: G
Table: 65
Depth: 82.4

I know its limited information but that is all I have.... Total Offered with setting, $1450 retail, was $7700 (after taxes).

Was this a good deal for this diamond and ring?? Is this truly a good cut?? I would actually like to have closer to an 1.5 carat but I want an "ideal cut" most of all......

Any opinions/suggestion???

Thank you!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
edited, originally I thought you were buying a step cut.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think we can really comment on the cut without more information (photos?). However, with what we do have that is a very deep princess cut, which means that it looks much smaller than other stones of the same weight. I personally would not buy it because of this fact alone. How did it look to you, in person?

rcl77

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:28:09 PM
Author: icekid
I don''t think we can really comment on the cut without more information (photos?). However, with what we do have that is a very deep princess cut, which means that it looks much smaller than other stones of the same weight. I personally would not buy it because of this fact alone. How did it look to you, in person?
I though that the cut was of quality but it did look rather small for some reason and that explains why... They also brought out a 1.5 that looked huge comparing the two... I just thought that it was my lack of experience showing.... Thanks

rcl77

Rough_Rock
BTW..... I don''t think that I was very clear, but I did not purchase this diamond.... so any help with my continued search will be appreciated......
emotion-15.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hmm, here is an option that would be in your price range, I think. http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5568/ Note how it is the same weight as the other stone you were considering, yet the dimensions are bigger! Plus a nicely cut stone will always look bigger as well, since it''s throwing so much light back at you.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5532/ This one is another nice option that is a higher color. It''s 1.05 ct, yet still "faces up" bigger than the stone you were seeing from the local jeweler.

Have you checked whiteflash? They also carry ideal princess cuts.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:24:21 PM
Author:rcl77
Thanks PS''er... I have posted one other thread on a RB.... then gf threw a curve ball and now would like a princess cut... I walked into D Gellar in Atlanta truly looking at settings. Which they began by giving the sales pitch about not making my purchase online... Which I''m comfortable using PS vendors... I decided on this setting (Verragio 7021). I told them my budget ($7500) and they came up with this diamond:

1.21 GIA Square Modified Brilliant E VS2

5.52 x 5.46 x 4.5

Polish VG

Symmetry: G

Table: 65

Depth: 82.4

I know its limited information but that is all I have.... Total Offered with setting, $1450 retail, was $7700 (after taxes).

Was this a good deal for this diamond and ring?? Is this truly a good cut?? I would actually like to have closer to an 1.5 carat but I want an ''ideal cut'' most of all......

Any opinions/suggestion???

Thank you!

If you "want an ideal cut most of all" that an 82 depth princess is not meeting your stated goal.

rcl77

Rough_Rock
OK.. thank you fleur-de-lis and icekid!!! Just goes to show why I feel I''m making a more informed decision by purchasing online... they were very pushy at the store. It was as if they knew I wouldn''t come back if they didn''t make the sale immediately
29.gif

Icekid thanks for your suggestions... I also got this from Union Diamonds today....... What do you think of it compared to your suggestion of the 1.22 from GOG??

2nd Question..... Would it be a poor decision if I started looking at EGL USA certed stones?? I know they are more lax, but comparing prices I could afford something in the range of 1.50... If I went through UD I could see the stone 1st hand b/c they are local to me...
33.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The stones recommended from GOG are very nice. Union does not offer any photos or ASETs on their website so there is no way you can see what the cut looks like. Don't look for anything other than GIA or AGS if you can avoid it. GOG carries Verragio settings.

Start out with a call to them and a price quote.

By the way has this setting been tried on? I remember someone trying it on and thinking it was uncomfortable with the fancy metal under the center stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 10:24:24 PM
Author: rcl77
2nd Question..... Would it be a poor decision if I started looking at EGL USA certed stones?? I know they are more lax, but comparing prices I could afford something in the range of 1.50... If I went through UD I could see the stone 1st hand b/c they are local to me...
33.gif

IMO it would be a poor decision to do so. You say that the price is better, but given the soft grading on color and clarity, you could be buying a stone up to 2 grades softer that as stated in the report. So if you looked for a stone 1-2 grades below what you are looking at for the EGL stone, I think you will find AGS/GIA stone at a similar price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 10:24:24 PM
OK.. thank you fleur-de-lis and icekid!!! Just goes to show why I feel I'm making a more informed decision by purchasing online... they were very pushy at the store. It was as if they knew I wouldn't come back if they didn't make the sale immediately
29.gif

Icekid thanks for your suggestions... I also got this from Union Diamonds today....... What do you think of it compared to your suggestion of the 1.22 from GOG??

33.gif
If you can't find anything GIA or AGS graded then you could certainly explore EGL USA graded options- make the sale final on an independant appraisal though. I in fact own an EGL USA graded diamond myself which checked out perfectly.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Another couple of options

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=363
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=275

perhaps warmer in colour than others, but I don't think you'd notice it once set.

Re the store's pushiness: it's funny - damned if they do, damned if they don't. There's no escape from competition.

Re EGL: it's fine to look at them; just don't think you are finding the greatest bargain because a stone is graded as E/VS1 from EGL is at the same price as a GIA G/VS2... (Don't) trust and verify. Also - buy the stone, not the paper.

rcl77

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys....... but I think I am more confused now!

Date: 3/4/2009 6:41:50 AM
Author: oldmancoyote

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=363
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=275

perhaps warmer in colour than others, but I don''t think you''d notice it once set.

Re the store''s pushiness: it''s funny - damned if they do, damned if they don''t. There''s no escape from competition.

Re EGL: it''s fine to look at them; just don''t think you are finding the greatest bargain because a stone is graded as E/VS1 from EGL is at the same price as a GIA G/VS2... (Don''t) trust and verify. Also - buy the stone, not the paper.
I checked out this from HPD like oldmancoyote suggested, but I was looking at the table and depth and that''s where I became lost.
23.gif
As fleur-de-lis suggested on the first diamond, I started referencing the PS Princess Cut Chart. This stone is graded an AGS Ideal 0 but falls outside of the parameters of ideal on the chart.....

Am I misreading the chart??? What am I missing here??

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS is performance graded and not through just some physical dimensions.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The physical dimensions are a nice guide but with fancy cut stones there are other combos that produce nice looks as well. I''d trust AGS0 above all else personally because they grade for performance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 9:56:32 AM
Thanks guys....... but I think I am more confused now!

Date: 3/4/2009 6:41:50 AM
Author: oldmancoyote

perhaps warmer in colour than others, but I don't think you'd notice it once set.

Re the store's pushiness: it's funny - damned if they do, damned if they don't. There's no escape from competition.

Re EGL: it's fine to look at them; just don't think you are finding the greatest bargain because a stone is graded as E/VS1 from EGL is at the same price as a GIA G/VS2... (Don't) trust and verify. Also - buy the stone, not the paper.
I checked out this from HPD like oldmancoyote suggested, but I was looking at the table and depth and that's where I became lost.
23.gif
As fleur-de-lis suggested on the first diamond, I started referencing the PS Princess Cut Chart. This stone is graded an AGS Ideal 0 but falls outside of the parameters of ideal on the chart.....

Am I misreading the chart??? What am I missing here??
AGS cut grading is performance based not proportion based.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results