shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I go for the Hearts & Arrows???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phantom

Rough_Rock
Okay, it''s getting down to the wire here. I''m going to make my decision soon on which diamond to get. I''ve never actually seen a H&A diamond in real life. For those of you out there who have purchased one. Is it worth it? How do you feel about spending the extra money for this H&A Pattern? Is there a significant difference in the amount of light that the diamond returns?

I''m looking at one diamond that is GIA I/SI2 1.06 carats and has Ideal depth and table proportions, but is not an H&A, for 3,600. I think this is a pretty Good deal!

Then there is the H&A pattern from A Cut Above H&A which is also around 3,600.

Carat 0.96
Color I
Clarity SI2
Measurements (mm) 6.30-6.34 x 3.94
Table % 55
Depth % 62.2
Crown Angle ° 34
Crown % 15.2
Pavilion Angle ° 40.9
Pavilion % 43.3
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick 1.3% to 1.9% Faceted
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible

So what should I go for, the bigger size or the H&A cut?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Eeewwww Phantom! Tough call!

Considering recent events in the diamond world, I would tend to lean toward the Branded diamond. Branding seems to be the wave of the future.

I just took a look at the info on the WF diamond. That is an extremely clean inclusion plot for an SI2 diamond! The HCA score is GREAT. 1.3, Ex White Light, Ex Fire, Ex Scinitillation, VG Spread. That will vvveeeerrry tough to beat! ACA's are cut so they have virtually no light leakage, meaning more light returned to the viewer. New Lines are cut to prevent light leakage in the girdle area so they "appear" larger.

Contact DCD and ask for a copy of the inclusions plot and Sarin Info. Review the inclusions plot and crunch the HCA to see what kind of performance score you get. With Symmetry being Good, the HCA score might come in above 2 and be a recommended Good Buy if the price is right. While symmetry is not a limiting factor in determining Cut Class, it has an impact on the visual performance of any diamond.

In a SI2 diamond, I would go "cleaner". Contact the vendors and discuss color, size, type, and location of the inclusions. You want to be sure the diamond you buy is 100% eye clean from the top and not cluttered on the sides. You have to consider what will show through the sides when mounting in an e-ring.

Good Luck with your decision!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes get the Sarin info from DCD and compare. That is a VERY tough call. Though I do have to say that 'SuperIdeal' or the ACA stones are that way for a reason, they are CUT to be extremely beautiful with excellent light return or they could not command a slight markup as they do. 'Ideal' dimensions are one thing...but for the SAME PRICE and that minimal of a carat weight jump, I would probably go with the ACA. But definitely get the Sarin!

One other thing is that my ring is a non-ideal and while it's very beautiful, it definitely does not have the perfect H&A symmetry. So I don't have arrows in my stone that I can see with 10x mag or even at all (some people say they can see their arrows in H&A stones without mag and with low lighting). I love my ring and stone, but sometimes I think having those arrows pop up in various lighting would be REALLY FUN.

My two cents!
1.gif

phantom

Rough_Rock
Thank you Mara and pq, Yes, I think the H&A diamond sounds more exciting to me. I don't know why I want those damn Hearts and Arrows but something makes me feel really safe about buying a diamond with them. Plus, the 1.06 carat diamond has an extremely thin to thick girdle and that kind of scares me. Tough decision. Thanks.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Good point about the girdle, Phantom! Even is better!

Being an ACA owner, I would say "Good Choice" selecing one of White Flash's SUPER IDEAL ACA Cuts. They are MAGNIFICENT!
love.gif
The tad you give up in carat weight you will more than gain in performance!
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the ACA... The girdle on the 1ct+++ doesn't sound good at all!

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
I stand with the majority
The Hearts and Arrows are fun to see
And of course, they are a guarantee
That your diamond has perfect symmetry!

wavey.gif
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results