shape
carat
color
clarity

should I go for it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even before all the random new handbag threads I've been thinking of buying myself a LV bag...I've already taken the plunge into designer bags so to speak after hubby got me a MBMJ gorgeous beige hobo bag and matching zip clutch, and ever since then I've been following the purse forum as much as possible to make sre I'm just not crazy...now the LV bug has bitten me and I really, really want to start a collection.

My question is: who owns a Lock It and are they good for everyday bags? I know those handles will not fit over my shoulder but I would like something that fits over my wrist and will sit in the crook of my elbow to carry around while shopping at least. Plus I would like it if the zipper opening allowed me to reach down inside for my wallet/checkbook to pay for groceries and such? Please advise...

My mother thinks I'm absolutely nuts for even thinking of buying a bag of this nature; DH thinks it's fine...I don't have a friend in the world who'd spend this kind of money on a bag but all my friends know I'm a bit on the far side as far as diamonds and jewelry and bags and shoes...I guess I'm looking for enablers here!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about LV, but Mara should see this and advise, I know she has at least one LV. But I would like to say YOU SHOULD GO FOR IT!!! Monnie my pal, you deserve a great bag especially after the pain and inconvenience you have been through recently, as your Hubby is willing DO IT!

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi Monarch,

You should go for it!! I can''t tell you how much I love that bag, it is super classy. I have seen it a few times on women with jeans, a suit, and a dress. It goes soooo well with all of them. I have wanted one since I saw it last year. I can''t tell you how much I LOVE this bag. The lock hangs on the side of the bag and it looks so good. I also like the fact that it has a zipper and the bag is roomy too. Since this will be your first LV, I strongly recommend it. It''s classic and IMO has great value for a LV that''s under $1,000.

I think it will most likely be my next LV purchase. DH surprised me with a Popincourt Haut last month. He was going to purchase the Lock It as he knows I have been talking about it, but when he saw that bag, he didn''t like it at all. He thinks the deisgn is old blah blah blah. Anyway, he got me the PH and I love it. But deep down, I know that I will get the Lock It one day.

I believe every PS women should have at least a designer bag to go with all her diamonds
emgift.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are the best enablers, LOL! Jewels I love your PH, it''s gorgeous! I still love the Lock It though and I think I have to have it. In fact I think I may die without it, ha!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is a Lock It? a new style? I have been kind of out of LV since i got the Balenciaga bug...but I do love my LV''s. they are SO versatile because of the neutral colors..and i love the monogram pattern for them whereas I am not a huge monogram type person in general....but i just really like the LV pattern.

in terms of splurging on a bag...the way i justify it is that if it''s a classic piece or something that i know i will ''wear the heck out of'' it''s totally worth it. i don''t think i''d be the type who has like 20-30 high end bags, because then i wouldn''t be able to wear them and enjoy them as much as i''d like to individually, and i have other things to spend $$ on then, but i like having 4-5 that i can rotate through and that are durable and pretty to look at and useful!! i adore my b-bag even though it is a teal color, i MAKE it work with everything lol! and it just feels so fabulous, i really get a lot of pleasure out of wearing it...i find myself sometimes massaging the soft leather with a dreamy look. i feel like for the most part life is short, enjoy yourself within reason!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You should go for it. It should be pretty easy to get in and out of, and it''ll definitely fit over your wrist and sit on the crock of your arm. A Lockit Horizontal will fit over your shoulder, but it''s quite a bit bigger. The Lockit is a cute bag; I think it looks better IRL.

Here''s a pic of the lockit for those who don''t know how it look like:

lvlockit.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have one but I think it is super cute Monie!!! Go for it.
31.gif
31.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i like the bag but have been wondering about how the leather on the bottom would do. that is always my concern with the lv that have the vachetta on the bottoms. does anybody have one that does and how does it look?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely bag. My only concern with these is that the handles will turn color and pretty fast too. This is just what they do. So for me I would not get a Speedy or a Lock It unless it was Damier b/c I don''t care for the look of the darkened handles. Of course that is just a personal preference and may not be important to another person.

Maybe some one else here has more experience with these handles and has a different opinion/insight.

Good luck and have fun with your new handbag collection!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
the leather turns from the oils in your skin and from oxidation, but that is part of the patina that makes the bag so nice. I saw the small lock it and wanted it but was worried that all of my stuff would sit on the bottom and be hard to get at, so I would say go to the store and load it with all of your stuff to test it out. there are so many great styles you will find one you love...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
monnie...i agree with DF to go into the store and try on some styles. you will know right away what you like vs not.

personally i am kind of a shoulder bag gal. i like the idea of ''carrying'' a bag with my hands but then i always want to put it on my shoulder! so if it doesn''t fit then i think it''d get irritated. i would definitely say with a bag like an LV if it will be kind of a one-time purchase (aka you don''t plan to get 3 more LV''s to have them cover all the bases) then just be sure that you can at least get one that fits all your requirements. good luck woman!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say go for it! I am an LV girl so I am totally biased!!
3.gif
2.gif

Seriously, LV is great value for money. The leather does darken over time, but so what? It''s a great bag and lasts forever. My first LV purchase was a coin purse which I bought something like 25 yrs ago and I still use it everyday.

But I second what the others have said: Go to an LV store, find something like fits yr requirements and looks good on ya.

You go girl!!
36.gif

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2007 3:11:12 AM
Author:monarch64
My question is: who owns a Lock It and are they good for everyday bags? Yes! I love my Lockit! It's just the right size for everyday. I know those handles will not fit over my shoulder but I would like something that fits over my wrist and will sit in the crook of my elbow to carry around while shopping at least. Plus I would like it if the zipper opening allowed me to reach down inside for my wallet/checkbook to pay for groceries and such? Please advise...
Actually, the Lockit is my favorite bag and replaces my old fav the Speedy 30 which was a real "workhorse" for me. Also get yourself the Lovinmybags.com kit for designer purses that includes the "for handles only" cream, it'll keep your new $$$ bag looking great!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all of you who have given such great advice!

First, I don''t mind patina in the least, in fact I probably won''t be able to wait until the handles or other vachetta parts start to oxidate, I would rather have a bag that looks like it''s been loved a bit, you know?

Second, I live right in between (give or take 5-10 miles) of the Chicago LV store downtown and the Oakbrook Center LV store so it would be pretty convenient for me (especially now that I''m off work on paid leave due to my recent surgery) to get to either one and try some things on. However, I was just at Yorktown Mall shopping for Mother''s Day gifts and my niece''s birthday last night and saw both the Popincourt Haut AND the Speedy AND a couple other more expensive LV''s...I don''t think the PH is right for me although I still like the Speedy, I soooo wish I''d seen a Lock it, but the fact that I didn''t makes me want one even more since they are few and far between here. I see the monogram canvas white styles all the time in the summer here so I know I don''t want one of those just yet...

I also wanted to say that having carried a shorter-strapped handheld bag for the last couple seasons and then switching this spring to a shoulder bag has given me the definite idea that I like the handheld bags much better...my MBMJ (Marc Jacobs'' cheaper line but still gorgeous) has bugged me to no end because even though it''s heavy with all my stuff in it it slips right off my shoulder which I hate. I love the idea of a structured handheld bag that I can always slip into the crook of my elbow for hands free-ness, you know? I just was worried that the lock it style would be deep enough that I couldn''t reach into the bottom of it conveniently. I honestly don''t think that the vachetta on the bottom will be a problem, after all I can treat it with that Apple stuff, right? And I''m always particular about where I set my bags in restaurants (usually they end up on an empty seat at the table or on my lap, never on the floor or the table unless the table looks and feels clean--yes I will do a hand swipe test, lol!

I''m so glad I posted this question to my beloved PSr''s...I would''ve done it on TPF but I don''t know them like I "know" you guys and can''t trust them for a really honest opinion. Thanks again, I am formulating my decision over the next week and hopefully I will have a beautiful LV in my paws soon!!!
36.gif
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monnie, I am sorry I did not ask how you are!!! I assume you are better, now. And nothing perks ME up like a bit of retail therapy or helping someone else spend money!!!

If you know you love a handheld, LV has so many great ones. I think what matters most, again, is the function of the shape. I have bags that are great looking but impossible, I cannot ever find things like my car keys or my phone (which rings with Fergie''s Glamorous LIfe LOUDLY and here I am rummaging through my stupid purse...) And I agree, I like when the bag starts to look a bit used, broken in a touch...

Have fun shopping and let us know when you decide!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
G-L-A-M....DF, I love that you have that ringtone...i still have the Soprano''s theme song on my phone after it came back around last year! I can''t help it, I''m HOOKED on that show and have been ever since the beginning...!

I''m ready to bite the bullet on the LV...my 30th b-day is next Thursday and I am going home to visit my parents this week while I''m off work but am hoping DH and I can visit a LV store next weekend so we can choose a nice bag for me, but we''ll see. He will have to "approve'' the final purchase but knowing him he may rather want to credit me for a better gift in the future knowing him, and it will be jewelry...he''s the type who''d rather put money into jewelry instead of a bag!

Thanks for your opinion, though..I love your LV bag charm, it''s gorgeous and I bet it looks great with whatever bag you''re carrying now!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and yes I do love that patina that LV vachetta/mono bags acquire after wear...to me that is a sign that the bag is something that''s been so well loved and gotten great use, I just love that.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monnie, my 11 year old picks ring tones for me, though I admit I did have 867-5309 for a while and everyone loved it! I also like Call Me by Blondie, which may be my next one. My 11 year old has a quirky sense of humor and thinks it is so funny that I am a shopaholic, so he picked it just for me!!!

I would not sneeze at jewelry, but maybe if you get some gifts from parents etc, a gift card to the LV store might be nice, so hubby can give you bling and you can still have something substantial and great from others.

I actually saw the lock it and the charms in a Bloomie''s holiday catalog and that is when I got the idea for both, but my SA thought the small one too small and large too big for me. I am a Goldilocks about bags sometimes, for day, I need large enough to carry my basic needs and a a bit extra once in a while, but I feel dwarfed by those HUGE bags that look like weekenders. So, I tend to really think about what goes in and how it looks on my body...night is a different story...So this photo got me on the hunt, I ended up with two new bags neither one of which was the lock it, and the charms, which I love. They just brighten up the bag in a really fun way...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2007 2:14:03 AM
Author: diamondfan
Monnie, my 11 year old picks ring tones for me, though I admit I did have 867-5309 for a while and everyone loved it! I also like Call Me by Blondie, which may be my next one. My 11 year old has a quirky sense of humor and thinks it is so funny that I am a shopaholic, so he picked it just for me!!!

I would not sneeze at jewelry, but maybe if you get some gifts from parents etc, a gift card to the LV store might be nice, so hubby can give you bling and you can still have something substantial and great from others.

I actually saw the lock it and the charms in a Bloomie''s holiday catalog and that is when I got the idea for both, but my SA thought the small one too small and large too big for me. I am a Goldilocks about bags sometimes, for day, I need large enough to carry my basic needs and a a bit extra once in a while, but I feel dwarfed by those HUGE bags that look like weekenders. So, I tend to really think about what goes in and how it looks on my body...night is a different story...So this photo got me on the hunt, I ended up with two new bags neither one of which was the lock it, and the charms, which I love. They just brighten up the bag in a really fun way...
Your 11 yr. old has GREAT taste in ringtones! And I''m all for the Call Me by Blondie as well, too cute!

Hopefully, hopefully, HOPEFULLY, everyone will come through for me but if not I will just end up buying the LV myself no matter what, I have my heart set and I''m a Taurus (bull-headed) so I''ll get it anyway, LOL!

Love your "I am a Goldilocks" about bags! You are so cute and fun! Also I love your jewelry collection which I was happy to peruse on SMTR earlier this week, your pieces are just gorgeous!

Off to bed...finally PS has worn me out! G''night!
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you have the right attitude! Certainly your 30th is a milestone birthday, and while I think a good LV bag will last years, I would take bling from hubby over a bag. Plus, since it is a bog birthday, I would honestly think your family will want to get you something special, now is a good time to casually mention you need a pick me up and are thinking of splurging on a nice bag for yourself, maybe, if mom lives near by, invite her to come with you. YOu never know what can happen then!!! But no matter what you will get one, and the lock it was well priced if I recall, under 800.00, and would be a great bag. It is newer and fresher than some of the older styles, and fits your needs. I think there is a tall one and a wider one, I looked at the smaller but taller one! Hope you got some rest!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you get your bag! I don''t own any designer bags but I am jonesing for the LV Popincourt Haut.
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
keep us posted monnie!!
31.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I am late on this thread but add another vote to get it from me. Just think in a few years you will be carrying around a diaper bag so you need your cute LV NOW while it is still practical!
27.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch -

I am totally late to this thread, but I'll chime in anyway!

GO FOR IT!

I am a long time hand bag lover. I love a good bag.

And an LV is great bag for a first bag.

It will last forever, always be in style.

One of my best friends recently bought her first LV. She's been a practicing attorney at a big firm for five years now...and I FINALLY convinced her she needs a good bag. She got the medium sized Beverly LV and she LOVES it.

Trust me...you won't regret it.

There is a super nice SA at the LV in downtown Chicago, unfortunately I cannot remember her name. She is a petite asian woman - she's very pretty and really nice. She totally put up with my friend and I looking at 75 bazillion different bags!

btw, if you are looking for structure, the speedy probably isn't the best choice. I have an azure damier speedy - and I had to put a piece of cardboard in it just to keep it from getting all saggy looking...the speedy is not super structured at all.

One more word of advice - for sure try things on! I bought a large ellipse from the store in Chicago. Frankly, it is a bag I wouldn't have considered based on pictures...but I put it on and it just looked adorable! So yeah.

I'm so excited to see!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks for all the great advice everyone! Believe it or not, I am still on the fence about this purchase! I''m wavering back and forth between the Lockit and the Speedy 30 at the moment. I know either one would be a good first LV...but after my recent ink-stain-on-light-colored-bag issue I''m worried now about the Lockit having all that vachetta on the bottom. I''m pretty good about not sitting my bags on the floor but now I''m worried that if I were to use the Lockit frequently it would just end up getting trashed on the bottom no matter what, and I don''t want to invest that much concerned energy in a handbag! I''m starting to think the Speedy 30 would be a better investment for me, even though they''re everywhere...I don''t think it would be as prone to noticeable dirt or debris with no vachetta on the bottom. Or maybe I''m just overthinking this whole thing, lol!

OTOH, I''m wondering also if I should just wait a couple more months to make another bag purchase, that way I''ll feel like I have a brand new fall/winter bag? Jeez, I am obsessing more over bags these days than jewelry--what is WRONG with this picture!!?
9.gif

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if you''d gotten your bag yet, and totally understand the "can''t decide" factor. I hope my most recent experience helps you decide.

Having had a Speedy and a Lockit myself I also worried about all that lovely leather on the bottom. Here''s testimony to the Lovinmybags creamy conditioner and protector. I spilled coffee all over my Lockit 4 days ago...imagine! Thankfully I had gotten the "designer purse kit" when my bag was new and promptly applied as per the directions. There is not a stain anywhere on the leather (and fortunately not inside either). I was thrilled because the Lockit really is my favorite bag and I do use absolutely everyday just like my speedy which I got 20 years ago (though I never appreciated it). I also own a few others but the Lockit is by far the most practical size wise and comfortable to carry. I do love a bag that wears on my arm rather than my shoulder. My next one is the Popincourt... but I''m trying to hold out so I can get it in person (someplace where they''re nice and not snooty).

The Lovinmybags "kit" has leather pre-treatment, cleanser plus, ultimate moisturizer, and for "handles only"...this stuff is the best!!!! I keep getting pen marks (I have no idea where from) and they come right off with the cleanser. I worried that this stuff would darken the leather unnaturally but it hasn''t, it''s aging nicely and I''ve had it since March.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, cnspotts, it does help to know I can get the protectant and that will keep whatever I get from being damaged on an everyday basis. I really do think the Lockit is the best bag for me although I really like the classic old standby Speedy. As far as structure, though, little lysser is probably right that i would not appreciate having to stuff the Speedy to full capacity to keep it from doing that caving in thing. Hmm. Definitely a lot of food for thought on this thread, thank you all! I will certainly keep you posted and when I make my decision you better believe you''re in for a picture fest!
2.gif

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Between the Speedy and Lockit, hands down the Lockit. Speedy is very common. It''s a great bag and I''ve had mine for a very long time, just too common for me. Speedy does sag and the Lockit is more sturdy. I do understand your concern with the vachetta at the bottom of Lockit. You can''t go wrong with either one. Just make sure that you get the one you like most, or get both
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2007 11:15:24 PM
Author: Jewels
Between the Speedy and Lockit, hands down the Lockit. Speedy is very common. It''s a great bag and I''ve had mine for a very long time, just too common for me. Speedy does sag and the Lockit is more sturdy. I do understand your concern with the vachetta at the bottom of Lockit. You can''t go wrong with either one. Just make sure that you get the one you like most, or get both
9.gif
Oh you silly, I could never get both in one shake! LOL! I would love to but that''s not in the cards right now with bling on the table as well...hee hee!

I know my first love has been the Lockit as soon as I saw it, sooooo I think I will leave it up to dear hubby to decide when he gets home from his golf trip this weekend and we''ll see how much "discretionary" moolah I have left over from the Chi gem show I''m attending tomorrow! Thanks again Jewels! You''ve been a great help!
9.gif
36.gif
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blah...Dh was no help when he got home...and I''ve kept pondering over this purchase since then.

I''m thinking the most useful purchase for me as not only a first purchase but as a functional purchase could be that little pochette accessoires...I love it and it would fit right under my arm, plus I''d love to get the groom trunks n bags round coin purse to hang from it in the meantime before I buy the Speedy 30 and then the Lockit!!! LOL, do you love how I have it planned out so far? Of course it may not work out exactly that way but I usually am able to orchestrate these things...
Sorry, there will probably be no predictability in this thread, but I will undoubtedly start new threads when I actually buy something so I can give all my PS helpers their props...thanks again, all...!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results