shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I give them the chance to make it right??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kkal474

Rough_Rock
I had a custom wedding ring mad about 2 1/2 years ago and I have never been really happy with it. Throughout the process I had voiced my concerns that it really didn't look anything like the original inspiration pics that I sbmitted with the order.
Each time I was told that it was the best that they could do and that they were sure sure I would be happy with it when it was completed. After receiving the ring I continued to not be happy but was made to believe I didn't have any choice but to accept it. In hindsight I should have pushed the issue more. I learned later (after the return window) that I could have amd should have had them remake the ring so that it was as I had ordered it. The challenge I have now is whether or not to give this company a chance to make it right or if I should go elsewhere.

Many people have had wonderful results from this vendor so my experience seems thankfully rare. Would you give a company with a good reputation a second chance or not? The other reason I am considering this is that I am considering the possibility of not only having my ring made correctly but also having a duplicate made at the same to go on the other side.

Thanks

Here is a pic of the inspiration rin ( I wanted it modified to make it curve around my wedding band but wanted the angular shape of the bezels to highlight the octagonal corners of the asschers)

Kristen

Kristen1.jpg

kkal474

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture of the actual ring

Kristen2.jpg

kkal474

Rough_Rock
With my e-ring

Kristen3.jpg

kkal474

Rough_Rock
Another

kristen4.jpg

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
If the vendor is willing to make it right I think I'd let them try again. I'd want to know if you could get a refund or credit if the second attempt is not to your standards. However, with custom pieces I think it's difficult for jewelers to re-create to perfection what you want, especially if you want them to copy a certain piece.They do their best, but sometimes you will not get exactly what you wanted or envisioned.

Then again, if they said they'd done their best and the end result wasn't what you wanted even after a lot of input from you, maybe it's time to cut your losses?

ETA: We were posting at the same time. Your asscher is gorgeous!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

I do remember your original post (man, have I been here a long time...) and while I thought your rings were gorgeous (still do!), if it's not what you wanted, it should have been remade. That being said, 2 1/2 years is a long time. I don't see how any company (and I do know which one made your ring) would agree to remaking any ring when so much time has passed. Are you expecting the company to remake your ring at no cost to you? Or do you plan to pay for the new ring?

Personally, I think your set is fabulous. But if it's not what you wanted and you can afford to change it then you should. You have to wear it everyday so you should be happy with it!

Bet of luck,

Feb03bride

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, you should have pursued it 2 1/2 years ago...it's a bit late to expect a vendor to make it right when you've had the item for 2 1/2 years ya know? It should have been taken care of at the time of purchase.

It also would be helpful to know why it was not what you wanted in the first place. Is the craftsmanship poor? Do you just not like it?

kkal474

Rough_Rock
I do not expect them to make it right without cost 2 1/2 years later. I suppose my question is not with regards to getting the ring remade at no cost as I agree with you that I cannot expect any vendor to do anything 2 1/2 years later. Although to be fair I tried many times to make them aware of the fact that I was unhappy during the process including after I received the ring and the customer service I received at the time was less than optimal. An email I received from the company did indicate that they might be willing to work with me if given the opportunity to remake the ring

My question is more with regards to whether you would give them the opportunity to remake the ring at all. I admit I carry some blame in this in that apparently I did not educate myself in the process of making a custom ring enough to know that I could and should have pushed the issue when I first got the ring. I supposed it is my own stupidity that put me in this position. I just want it to be right someday somehow and and trying to figure out my next step. Thanks

Kristen

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhh....well personally I would make sure it can be done "right". You still haven''t said what you don''t like about it, so it is possible that what you want just can''t be done securely or well, in which case a vendor should communicate that to you. Or if you were going off a picture it''s possible that the stones in the picture were a different size than yours, resulting in a different look, etc.

If you just didn''t mesh with said vendor before, then I would look elsewhere.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, your wedding band is exactly what I''ve been leaning towards! There''s a Jeff Cooper ring that I''m leaning towards as an anniversary ring (it''s channel instead of bezel, with three round cuts in the middle, flanked by three asschers on each side). It curves in a similar fashion to what you''ve said you want your ring to ultimately do.

Honestly, I think your ring is gorgeous, but if you''re not happy, I''d do whatever it takes to remake your ring in the way you want, whether it means taking it to another jeweler or giving this company another shot (but honestly, if they''ve disappointed you this many times, I''d be weary of any promises they try to give).

Regardless, I think your set is lovely!!
30.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If this vendor said that is the best they can do (with the thinness of the bezel) then maybe that''s all they can do. Your inspiration photo is not a curved band and that might have something to do with it. You did approve the wax. I know it''s not exactly as you wanted but what can the vendor do now that they could not do 2 years ago--unless they have a new benchman who can do finer work.

I see the problem with the stones not being able to curve the way you''d like them to. They seem to curve with a series of steps. Maybe that is why the metal can''t be as thin as when they are in a straight line. While I love asschers I am not nuts about seeing them on a curve. I hope you can do something with your band that makes you happy because you''ve got 6 gorgeous stones and you deserve to love love love your rings!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, but I can''t see the difference between them - it looks like yours is the same, only curved. Maybe its the size of the pics, can someone please ''splain it to me what is wrong?
thanks!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Like arj, I''m not entirely sure what you''d like changed about it, but if the jeweler''s couldn''t do it 2 1/2 years ago, I wouldn''t have them try it again. If you''re really unhappy about it, maybe youshould find out what it was about the ring that the old jeweler couldn''t do for you, and try to find a new jeweler who specializes in that area--assuming it''s possible to do what it is you want.

kkal474

Rough_Rock
Thank you all fortaking the time to reply to my post. The issues I have with the ring are two-fold

1. The bezels themselves seem pretty thikc tome, thicker than some other that I have seen giving it a more "chunky" look than a delicate look This may or may not be correctable while still ensuring the security of the stones. If that were the only issue I could live with it.

2. The main problem I have is that the bezels are rounded instead of angular and crisp. My goal was to have the angles of the bezels match up to the angles of the asscher cut stones in the band. Unfortunately to me it just looks like a bumpy channel set ring instead of highlighting the shape of the asschers. It was the crisp definition that I was hoping for and that it appears the makers of the inspiration ring were more able to achieve.

I have tried to accept the band I have for 2 1/2 years after being told at that time there wasn''t anything they could or would do about it. I just find it hard to believe that what I am seeking to have done is so difficult. Maybe it is better I seek out another custom jeweler and get their take on it I thank you for your time

Kristen

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with another jeweller unless you''re sure the original one can now make the ring how you want it. I can''t really see what you''re talking about with the bezels though. Do you have a closer photo of your ring?

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think I see what you''re saying about your ring/bezels looking more rounded.... it seems like this is because 1) (like you said) the bezels are thicker and not as defined) but also 2) it looks like they angled the stones slightly upward in more of a rounded "V" conformation... rather than a "step" conformation (does that make sense?). It would be difficult to keep things straight and angular if they gradually angled the stones upward to create an "arc"

I think if you''re really looking for a clean, defined look- it would be easiest to keep the ring straight.

Unless you have an amazing relationship with this jeweler (although it sounds like you didn''t!) I would try someone else!

Good Luck
(I think your rings are gorgeous, but I hope you get exactly what you want!!!)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Not trying to be rude, just asking for an honest answer, but how is it possible to have a curved band emphasize the squareness of the asschers? Won't the curve, by definition, take away from that?
33.gif

Did you want your band V-shaped somehow, instead of curved, even though you asked for curved?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 10:21:34 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Not trying to be rude, just asking for an honest answer, but how is it possible to have a curved band emphasize the squareness of the asschers? Won''t the curve, by definition, take away from that?
33.gif

Did you want your band V-shaped somehow, instead of curved, even though you asked for curved?

That''s what I was thinking too. In order for it to curve it the bezels just can''t have the square shape you want. I would think that describing what you want as a V or a step might be more what you are looking for. But that being said, I don''t think that will hug the e-band like yours does now, so you might want to make sure a new vendor understands that you want both to see if they can do that.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Just an additional comment/question...given that you want the band to be more curved to sit flush with your e-ring, maybe you should consider a style other than the bezeled look and possibly soemthing a bit thinner?? As others have said, it''s probably going to be very difficult to re-create the setting you really want with the curved look.

And I also want to echo the sentiment that if you didn''t mesh with the original vendor I suggest trying another one. I am sure that you will find a vendor that will be able to re-create what you want and will be open to your input.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Can you post a larger picture of your ring?

So sad that you''re not happy with your ring. I think it''s really pretty and goes very well with your ering.

kkal474

Rough_Rock
Thanks you for your replies. I do want the band to curve around my e-ring to the extent possible not form a "v". I am not sure I understand what is meant by the "step" design. The angles that I would have liked emphasized are those that are between the stones. There are indentations between my stones on the current band but they are just not crisply done. They flow together rather than form a crisp "v". I do know that I am dealing with square stones and not round. I suppose I don''t understand why if they were able to do the bezels and notch it why couldn''t it be notched (between the stones) cleanly and crisply as opposed to softly and fluidly. May be I am just crazy.

In hindsight I probably should have just canceled the project and talked to someone else. I was just naive in the art of custom ring making at the time and didn''t speak up enough. I acknowledge that I share responsibility in this. I suppose it is just that I have seen some amazing pieces come out of custom shops including this one and I really did not think I was asking for the moon and the stars but it is starting to appear that I might have. Thanks

Kristen

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I understand what you''re saying about wanting the notches to accentuate the shapes--- I think that''s going to be pretty difficult with this style of ring. Having the diamonds set flush to one another (at least thats how it looks in your pics) -- it doesn''t leave much space in between them to even create a notch (imagine if they were seperated a little-- more room for a notch)

Also-- if you look at your inspiration ring, the "notched" outline you see is really created more by shadows in the picture than anything. If you look at the actual outline of the top/bottom of the bezel, the notch is hardly there.

I think if you''re really looking for the bezel to accentuate the octagonal shape, you should have each one individually bezeled with a space/groove between them to delineate their outlines.

I would go to another jeweler, say you want the THINNEST bezel possible, tell them what you are trying to achieve (mostly hug the ring and accentuate the octagon as much as possible) and see how they would proceed (maybe not even show them your inspiration until they come up with suggestions)

I hope I didn''t just confuse you more!
1.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If you''re still not happy with it after two and a half years, I''d definitely get it remade; if it hasn''t yet, it''ll never grow on ya! I would *not* go with the same vendor. If you experienced not so great customer service, I don''t think I''d want to go back to the same place.

I would think thinner bezels ought to be possible, but it''s hard to say as a non-expert what is and isn''t possible. I''d probably consider going somewhere local where you could discuss the project extensively, since you do have a particular idea of what you want. I would think that curving square stones slightly would necessitate slightly thicker bezels to keep the whole ring even looking even; you may end up in a situation where you''ll have to compromise some. So I''d definitely go somewhere that you can discuss the possibilities with someone you feel is listening to what you want and will give you honest feedback on what is and is not possible.

I would think a very skilled bench worker is what you need, not so much an artist/designer... you know exactly what you want, you just need to know what''s possible and to execute your design, not create a design for you.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 12:40:10 PM
Author: kkal474
Thanks you for your replies. I do want the band to curve around my e-ring to the extent possible not form a ''v''. I am not sure I understand what is meant by the ''step'' design. The angles that I would have liked emphasized are those that are between the stones. There are indentations between my stones on the current band but they are just not crisply done. They flow together rather than form a crisp ''v''. I do know that I am dealing with square stones and not round. I suppose I don''t understand why if they were able to do the bezels and notch it why couldn''t it be notched (between the stones) cleanly and crisply as opposed to softly and fluidly. May be I am just crazy.

In hindsight I probably should have just canceled the project and talked to someone else. I was just naive in the art of custom ring making at the time and didn''t speak up enough. I acknowledge that I share responsibility in this. I suppose it is just that I have seen some amazing pieces come out of custom shops including this one and I really did not think I was asking for the moon and the stars but it is starting to appear that I might have. Thanks

Kristen

I think the problem is that you are contradicting yourself. In the first sentence you say you DON''T want them to form a V. But then later on you say that they "flow together rather than form a crisp V". So you need to decide what it is you want before a vendor can make it for you...I think with the notched look like you say you want it would be much more of a V than "curved"...just something to think about, words mean a lot when you are creating something custom.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 9:32:46 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Like arj, I''m not entirely sure what you''d like changed about it, but if the jeweler''s couldn''t do it 2 1/2 years ago, I wouldn''t have them try it again. If you''re really unhappy about it, maybe youshould find out what it was about the ring that the old jeweler couldn''t do for you, and try to find a new jeweler who specializes in that area--assuming it''s possible to do what it is you want.
I agree. If they couldn''t do it then why set yourself up for disappointment again. Find someone else who can give you what you really want.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 10:15:30 AM
Author: Addy
I''d go with another jeweller unless you''re sure the original one can now make the ring how you want it. I can''t really see what you''re talking about with the bezels though. Do you have a closer photo of your ring?
Ditto. I think your set is gorgeous
9.gif

kkal474

Rough_Rock
I suppose I should clarify the "v" of which I was referring. The"v" I had hoped to see were between the individual stones. The overall shape of the ring I wanted to be more curved. I hope that clarifies

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 5:42:04 PM
Author: kkal474
I suppose I should clarify the ''v'' of which I was referring. The''v'' I had hoped to see were between the individual stones. The overall shape of the ring I wanted to be more curved. I hope that clarifies

I understand what you want, but I honestly don''t think you can achieve it. A couple reasons - since asschers are squarish, they can''t flow in a curve as easily as, say, round stones. They will have to tipped to their sides a bit, or in the case of your ring, stepped (like stairs - one next to the other, but each outer stone down a centimeter or two). Because of this, the v-shaped notches you want in-between the stones will simply not be there. They will become more fluid, and as a result, will require more metal to be certain the stones are secure.

What are you wanting is not really something you can have unless you switch to a different stone shape.

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kkal474,

Figured I'd chime in here...

The ring does look beautiful on your finger. From the picture, it's a bit difficult to tell how well it conforms to your initial inspiration. Either way, it's unfortunate that you are not completely happy as you deserve to be. Perhaps, you could ask them even after this period of time, if they are confident that they could make it right for you and whether they are willing to give it a shot. Based on what they tell you, you'll have a better idea as to how you wish to proceed. At least, the ultimate decision will be yours and you wont have to second guess yourself on whether you should have pushed the issue and been pro-active or not...

The other point I'd submit to you for your consideration (and as others have mentioned here), concerns the nature of the asscher cut shape which features tapered corners. This squarish cut, does indeed make it a bit difficult to provide a ring with distinct curvature. It just doesn't lend itself to achieving this look.

Even if you had the jeweler address the shank alone, it would be tough for them to create a severe curve for the shank, given the nature of the squarish halos (baskets) on top. Aesthetically and perhaps even structurally, it may not be a perfect match. Assuredly, you wouldn't be happy if the totality of the ring didn't mesh...

Insofar as the halos are concerned, it seems as though they would have to create an entirely new ring, in order for the edges around each diamond to be more defined and curved. Becuase the halo actually wraps around the individual diamonds dimensions, it would be virtually impossible to re-manipulate an already specific setting in order to achieve a different result...almost like the law of diminishing returns.....

Just a thought.

Hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results