shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I get LGD to set my diamond?

rzimbakov

Rough_Rock
Hello kind people! I recently purchased a diamond on loosegrowndiamond.com with the help of this wonderful community and I was hoping to get some opinions on my options for getting a setting.

I read mixed reviews on customers' experiences with LGD and their settings but speaking to a local jeweller, I realized how expensive platinum settings are in my city ( was quoted for 2400 for just the setting) so my question is should I also ask LGD to set my diamond in one of their settings, or continue looking around locally for something more affordable or even a third option I've read discusses sending your diamond to a vendor such as James Allen for getting their diamonds set.

Please advise!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Get quotes for both natural grown and lab grown...as close to the color and clarity of the solitaire diamond as well as high cut quality. Start mentioning things like AGS Triple Zero equivalent and ASET scope validation of the melee/pave/side diamonds to ensure the jewelers that you are interviewing are familiar with and concerned about high optical performance instead of "good enough under our dazzle lights".

rzimbakov

Rough_Rock
Get quotes for both natural grown and lab grown...as close to the color and clarity of the solitaire diamond as well as high cut quality. Start mentioning things like AGS Triple Zero equivalent and ASET scope validation of the melee/pave/side diamonds to ensure the jewelers that you are interviewing are familiar with and concerned about high optical performance instead of "good enough under our dazzle lights".

Thanks for the reply!

I might be a bit confused, this is all great information and I will absolutely make sure to do this when I go in for a reappraisal but how does this help me select a setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you link a setting you are looking at at LGD?

Have you considered David Klass? I've had JA set one of my stones (that I did not buy from them) and its perfect IMO.
Added cost for an outside stone ($100) and anything over 7mm (another $100).

EDIT...is this a solid platinum setting or does it have side stones?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello kind people! I recently purchased a diamond on loosegrowndiamond.com with the help of this wonderful community and I was hoping to get some opinions on my options for getting a setting.

I read mixed reviews on customers' experiences with LGD and their settings but speaking to a local jeweller, I realized how expensive platinum settings are in my city ( was quoted for 2400 for just the setting) so my question is should I also ask LGD to set my diamond in one of their settings, or continue looking around locally for something more affordable or even a third option I've read discusses sending your diamond to a vendor such as James Allen for getting their diamonds set.

Please advise!

I personally had a poor experience with them and their setting was not well done. I wouldn’t recommend.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I personally had a poor experience with them and their setting was not well done. I wouldn’t recommend.

Oh no really? I have a couple pieces coming from them. What was wrong with it?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I would use a local jeweler or use a reputable remote jeweler like David Klass. LGD seems to be cheap on their settings. I don't think James Allen will set stones that weren't purchased through them. $2400 for a platinum setting feels high. You might be able to find someone local at a better price. Good luck!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

I might be a bit confused, this is all great information and I will absolutely make sure to do this when I go in for a reappraisal but how does this help me select a setting?

If they build to order, then they should be able to tell whichever bench they use to get high quality melee/pave.

rzimbakov

Rough_Rock
Can you link a setting you are looking at at LGD?

Have you considered David Klass? I've had JA set one of my stones (that I did not buy from them) and its perfect IMO.
Added cost for an outside stone ($100) and anything over 7mm (another $100).

EDIT...is this a solid platinum setting or does it have side stones?

No side stones, solid platinum and because of the size of the diamond (2.55 carats) I am considering 5 prongs or 6 just as this one has!

rzimbakov

Rough_Rock
I would use a local jeweler or use a reputable remote jeweler like David Klass. LGD seems to be cheap on their settings. I don't think James Allen will set stones that weren't purchased through them. $2400 for a platinum setting feels high. You might be able to find someone local at a better price. Good luck!
I will make sure to check out David Klass, I would also prefer local because once the diamond comes in, I would like to avoid shipping it out again. But it's in no means a deal breaker if it will mean a quality setting for our ring!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

No side stones, solid platinum and because of the size of the diamond (2.55 carats) I am considering 5 prongs or 6 just as this one has!

OK...I was completely confused by what you were asking. When you said "should I get LGD to set my diamond" I thought you were asking if you should get LGD, as in Lab Grown Diamonds (not LooseGrownDiamond), as opposed to natural grown diamonds in a setting with pave/side stones that you were trying to source. My apology!

rzimbakov

Rough_Rock
If they build to order, then they should be able to tell whichever bench they use to get high quality melee/pave.

Oh I understand now, I will definitely get the conversation going down the right path then!

Thank you once again for sharing such valuable information.

rzimbakov

Rough_Rock
OK...I was completely confused by what you were asking. When you said "should I get LGD to set my diamond" I thought you were asking if you should get LGD, as in Lab Grown Diamonds (not LooseGrownDiamond), as opposed to natural grown diamonds in a setting with pave/side stones that you were trying to source. My apology!

That is completely my fault, I was not absolutely clear on what I was asking! Thank you regardless.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you find out if a local jeweler has access to Stuller settings? It would have to be a jeweler that you trust can set the
stone correctly and make nice prongs but you wouldn't have to worry too much about the setting if you get something
from Stuller.

www.stuller.com

@0515vision Is this a new change to JA...not setting outside stones? I had them set one for me but its been about 5 years
now.

Edit...JA will set a diamond that they did not sell.
See

Under this question

I have my own diamond but I'd like to purchase one of your settings. Can you set my diamond into a James Allen ring?​

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Oh no really? I have a couple pieces coming from them. What was wrong with it?

They sent the wrong CAD to the manufacturer and built the ring off it, then tried to deny it. However, the CADs were very different and the ring was obvious. I needed the ring by a certain date and paid an extra $120 for expedited delivery. They tried to lie and say it was held up in customs even though the last email said it was in New York. I didn’t get it on time and after back and forth they refunded me the $120. Nothing but lip service and poor delivery. I personally felt the setting wasn’t well done. It was rotated off center and uneven. Attached some pics. B08D846D-89F7-4454-8BD0-F4809534C687.jpeg

Attachments

• F59885B6-3743-4DAD-9C4C-5F8319A0789C.jpeg
    F59885B6-3743-4DAD-9C4C-5F8319A0789C.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 37DED720-6C13-4429-8AFA-78F7CC598F2F.jpeg
    37DED720-6C13-4429-8AFA-78F7CC598F2F.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 14
  • F4E0439D-61EB-4485-93F3-D8DE1AB487D6.jpeg
    F4E0439D-61EB-4485-93F3-D8DE1AB487D6.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 14
  • CC9FD1CB-AB1C-4513-9225-745DE11BC768.jpeg
    CC9FD1CB-AB1C-4513-9225-745DE11BC768.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C4805C45-54C6-4E1A-9C41-85CD9567BACA.jpeg
    C4805C45-54C6-4E1A-9C41-85CD9567BACA.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 8D5ACFE4-E20F-4D32-BCE3-4E3CA0A27914.jpeg
    8D5ACFE4-E20F-4D32-BCE3-4E3CA0A27914.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 15

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Can you find out if a local jeweler has access to Stuller settings? It would have to be a jeweler that you trust can set the
stone correctly and make nice prongs but you wouldn't have to worry too much about the setting if you get something
from Stuller.

www.stuller.com

@0515vision Is this a new change to JA...not setting outside stones? I had them set one for me but its been about 5 years
now.

Edit...JA will set a diamond that they did not sell.
See

Under this question

I have my own diamond but I'd like to purchase one of your settings. Can you set my diamond into a James Allen ring?​

+1 for Stuller. They have a large catalog and can accommodate many stone sizes so having your area jeweler set it should only require a minimum amount of work. I have done this twice.

IMHO LGD overcharges for their settings. Does anyone know if they have periodic sales on settings like JA and Brilliance?

rzimbakov

Rough_Rock
I'll have to look into it! Thanks for the update here!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results