shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I get an appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
I purchased my diamond upgrade from Excel Diamonds, link below, in NY. Leon Mege, also in NY, will be making the setting. I live in California. Are appraisals always recommended? I’m wondering if it is worth it to ship the stone to CA and then back to NY just so I can get it appraised. The return period is 10 days so if the stone goes to Leon the return policy will expire before I see it. What I would want out of an appraisal is to verify the stone matches the GIA cert (but I trust the vendor so I am not sure if this is necessary) and to evaluate the cut. I admit I am not the best at reading IS images to the level of detail needed to distinguish a very good from an ideal cut. Thoughts on the ASET and IS would also be appreciated.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Round_Diamond-143/Loose_Round_2.49_Carat_E_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-255461.html

THANK YOU!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 11:11:17 PM
Author:DKinLA
I purchased my diamond upgrade from Excel Diamonds, link below, in NY. Leon Mege, also in NY, will be making the setting. I live in California. Are appraisals always recommended? I’m wondering if it is worth it to ship the stone to CA and then back to NY just so I can get it appraised. The return period is 10 days so if the stone goes to Leon the return policy will expire before I see it. What I would want out of an appraisal is to verify the stone matches the GIA cert (but I trust the vendor so I am not sure if this is necessary) and to evaluate the cut. I admit I am not the best at reading IS images to the level of detail needed to distinguish a very good from an ideal cut. Thoughts on the ASET and IS would also be appreciated.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Round_Diamond-143/Loose_Round_2.49_Carat_E_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-255461.html

THANK YOU!
In your case....shooting from the hip, having read happy users of him before, and particularly seeing how his shop is set up, I would seriously want to consider employing Patrick Davis, with one specific suggestion:

Try to get some sort of go/no go advice in advance from him, so that he knows you are looking for "no go" advice based on some sort of criteria, in advance of his seeing anything from you.

Ideally, you''ll walk the diamond in, he won''t have read this, and not ship directly from the vendor, though that probably doesn''t matter too much.

Find out what''s involved in him appraising before and after it is set. Use him also to review the craftsmanship given to securing the diamond to the ring, and particularly, for setting an appropriate valuation for insurance, as well.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
DK, there are some excellent appraisers in the NY/Philly area that you''d be able to utilize if you wanted to get the appraisal without shipping the diamond back and forth across the country.

Independent appraisals are typically a good idea on larger purchases; it''s an individual choice, of course, but it certainly gives good peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results